The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maiden1

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 11, 2019, 10:22:23 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 11, 2019, 10:14:23 PM
Quote from: priceyreilly on June 11, 2019, 07:16:59 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 11, 2019, 06:34:50 PM
When they were blabbering on about Cluxton I thought they actually forgot about the Meath match but they went back to it later

They did, they forgot all about it. Des had to be reminded. They were too busy sucking Dublin's balls like the week before as well. Speaking of balls, why do none of the panellists have the balls to call out the Dublin doping offences?
when did this happen?

They showed the Meath and Dublin matches highlights back to back... then they went to reviewing the games...Des said "we'll come to Meath in a minute"  but then proceeded to only review the Dubs match and they started rambling on about Cluxtons 100th match and comparing his total to O'Se they had a wee highlight reel of Cluxtons matches, Whelean was telling a story about driving him to training, all pointless stuff. But then they went to the break...... and no mention of Meath until after they came back and had showed another wean of match highlights.

Pretty sure Des forgot
The same thing happened with the hurling when the Carlow manager said about being allowing to stay in Liam McCarthy he said he would come back to that.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

marty34

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 11, 2019, 11:28:07 PM
Quote from: marty34 on June 11, 2019, 10:08:59 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 11, 2019, 10:04:20 PM
Quote from: priceyreilly on June 11, 2019, 07:16:59 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 11, 2019, 06:34:50 PM
When they were blabbering on about Cluxton I thought they actually forgot about the Meath match but they went back to it later

They did, they forgot all about it. Des had to be reminded. They were too busy sucking Dublin's balls like the week before as well. Speaking of balls, why do none of the panellists have the balls to call out the Dublin doping offences?

The Panelists are in a crusty number. It's a well paying and high profile junket. It provides them with the profile to have National paper columns as well. 

I presume that The Sunday Game has sponsors of the program and these sponsors are to be kept happy by not rocking the boat?

Tomas O'Se would see it as below him to use the money excuse. Whelan would never betray his own. Brolly is a strange one. He's usually not one to ignore the obvious, but the blinkers are firmly on here. Maybe they all genuinely don't know the figures and have never heard of Ewan McKenna.

One thing is for sure there is a media blackout on the topic.

How much wouls a panellist on the Sundsy Game be on?

Is it per programme or per season? Are the 'lesser' ones given provincial games while the top gig would be the All Ireland series?

From what i heard the pundits are all paid per appearances. They all have full time other jobs, so none of them are on permanent contracts. I've seen amounts as low as 1000-1500 euros per show, being mentioned. Getting that kind of money for a days work, may seem like a lot to the likes of you and me. But when you factor in tax and whatnot, its not really a tremendous amount of money, considering that TSG rakes in truckloads of money in advertising revenue. I'd imagine that their big "name" pundits like Tomas O'Se and Henry Sheflin are on a bit more, but I've never seen any official numbers released.

True. The reason I asked was that I remember somebody was doing an article about their work and they were there very early in the morning and then on air.  While on air, the pundits were telling the editors to cut this and that piece for The Sunday Game etc.

So as you say, apart from tax etc., there's quite a bit of work that goes into it - long enough hours.

Obviously a few people will say they're well enough looked after and they only talk waffle etc. but there's a fair bit of unseen work in it.

Although, if allowed, we'd all give it a go I'm sure.

PadraicHenryPearse

what is the point of showing the two hurling games like they are. everyone knows the results so why try recreate something over 24hs later showimg the table etc.

Tubberman

Christ you couldn't listen to that voice too long...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

moysider

Quote from: Tubberman on June 16, 2019, 10:25:11 PM

What voice is that Tubber'? :) :) :)

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on June 16, 2019, 10:11:27 PM
what is the point of showing the two hurling games like they are. everyone knows the results so why try recreate something over 24hs later showimg the table etc.
Not everyone has sky

PadraicHenryPearse

you dont need sky to know the results etc. 24hrs later.

BennyCake

More weemin on tonight. Soon they'll be hauling off Des at 10.30 and bringing on Joanne Cantwell as sub.

Tubberman

Quote from: moysider on June 16, 2019, 10:39:05 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on June 16, 2019, 10:25:11 PM

What voice is that Tubber'? :) :) :)

Safer to say nowt!

Tubberman

Quote from: BennyCake on June 16, 2019, 10:52:49 PM
More weemin on tonight. Soon they'll be hauling off Des at 10.30 and bringing on Joanne Cantwell as sub.

At least Joanne would seem alert. Des looks like he's been out since the hurling and needs a good kip

moysider

Quote from: BennyCake on June 16, 2019, 10:52:49 PM

Houl on. Liz Howard was there at the start of the Sunday Game back in '79.

Seany

Ursula Jacob was simply excellent on SG last night. Her level of analysis, like the other two guys, was outstanding. A brilliant blend. She captured perfectly the pure drama of Wexford Park and the main turning points of the game.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Seany on June 17, 2019, 07:42:44 AM
Ursula Jacob was simply excellent on SG last night. Her level of analysis, like the other two guys, was outstanding. A brilliant blend. She captured perfectly the pure drama of Wexford Park and the main turning points of the game.

+1.

Keyser soze

Yeah, she def seemed to know her stuff.

Didn't much like her hair though.

johnnycool

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 17, 2019, 11:16:33 AM
Yeah, she def seemed to know her stuff.

Didn't much like her hair though.

Sweet f**k, her hair is the problem now...........

Gotta love poor Joanne Cantwell when giving out about the Clare manager getting sent to the stands in Cusack park;

Joanne: "Clare could do without that Anthony"
Anthony: "that's exactly what they do need"

Joanne being too PC, but then again she has to be. Anto Daly having none of it though!
Proper hurling man.  ;)