Newton steps down, Evans steps up the Roscommon management search is over

Started by ross4life, September 11, 2012, 11:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

https://sites.google.com/a/gaa.ie/roscommon-gaa/news/desnewtonstepsdown

After just 10 months we are on the look out for another new manager will Fergal return or maybe a step up for Nigel Dineen or someone like Noel O'Brien might be interested?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ck

Thought Des would have given it another year. Was he pushed?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ck on September 11, 2012, 11:12:02 PM
A dacent man. Sorry to see him go.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ck

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 11, 2012, 11:15:09 PM
Quote from: ck on September 11, 2012, 11:12:02 PM
A dacent man. Sorry to see him go.

An absolute gent of the highest order. Maybe too nice for football management

Ard-Rí

Surprised, I thought the way he was talking before the championship that he was going to give it a shot for a few years. I suppose circumstances can change though, you never know what's happening behind the public image.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Syferus

Was serious apathy in-county. He was appointed late in the year, given a squad filled with injuries and college and club commitments, nevermind it being his first shot at the manager's job at any level and having to follow probably our most adored manager in a generation. Des should probably have been given the minor or u21 jobs to blood himself so I'd place blame as much with shoddy work by the board as with management.

Everything I've seen and heard about Des tells me he's a classy man who took the job for all the right reasons. Thanks for all your work, Des.

The ideal replacement would be Fergie returning, with the Gardaí giving him the time to do the job effectively and still have time for his family. Outside the county my dream choice would be Jason Ryan, whose talents seem tailor made for developing the rafts of raw talent we're swimming in.

ross matt

Sorry for him personally. He was a fine player who gave great service to the county and obviously took the job with it's best interests at heart.

But he was hopelessly out of his depth in this job and the team disimproved dramatically on his watch. Fergie if he can make the time for it would be the answer I think. Dineen..... Shannon..... etc who have looked after recent successful underage sides should also be in the mix somewhere. We're a long way off the Mayos of this world now but we have the potential to be perfoming at a much higher standard at senior.

GAA_Punter

Totally agree Syferus, he should of got an under age job first.

Looks like it will be Dineens job, Jason Ryan would be some shout.

Rossfan

I know you don't like us Shamrock but there's no call for that  ;D
It was inevitable that Des would "resign".
To put it mildly he was a disaster but I won't wash any of our dirty linen in public by going into details.
Let's just say the state of our players on 14th May said it all and no amount of blaming Colleges, St Brigids or Co Board can absolve management of their responsibility for not having the players up to the mark fitness wise.

The Board are to meet next week to discuss the process of getting a new man.
Nigel Dineen would be the first port of call and I'm sure some will want to approach Fergal while Ross Shannon will be on some minds.
Jimmy Gacquin used to be the first man mentioned for some years but it seems after his stint with the U21s in 2010 and 11 he's gone to being the last man.
I can't see us going for an outside man as we haven't the money for "long distance expenses" .

What we really need is a structure across all our teams that would help transform our decent recent and hopefully future under age sets of players into good performing senior players and have ongoing proper co operation between all management teams.

Oh - and no more aimless soloing and sideways handpassing - 2 traits in which we've overindulged for too long. >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

spuds

Only 1 man to get the Ross back on the road to recovery again

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Rossfan

Quote from: spuds on September 12, 2012, 11:20:06 AM
Only 1 man to get the Ross back on the road to recovery total disaster again

Fixed that for you .

Shamrock Shore

QuoteI know you don't like us Shamrock but there's no call for that

Au contraire Rossfan - I would have no beef with the Rossies. Would always shout for them in any game not involving Longford. Leitrim the same. Went to boarding school with some good lads from both counties who were sound out.

I just suggested Banty for a laugh - I am sure he'll be lamping in the CV. My list of lads to avoid would include

Micko
Maughan
Banty
Luke Dempsey
Tom(my) Carr
Vaaaaaal Andrews
John O'Mahony
Paidi

Rossfan

OK Shamrock we love you too  :-* and I always shout for Longford unless they're playing against us.
As we've no money we won't have any trouble avoiding that list of yours. ;D

Hardy

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 12, 2012, 02:23:44 PM
QuoteI know you don't like us Shamrock but there's no call for that

Au contraire Rossfan - I would have no beef with the Rossies. Would always shout for them in any game not involving Longford. Leitrim the same. Went to boarding school with some good lads from both counties who were sound out.

I just suggested Banty for a laugh - I am sure he'll be lamping in the CV. My list of lads to avoid would include

Micko
Maughan
Banty
Luke Dempsey
Tom(my) Carr
Vaaaaaal Andrews
John O'Mahony
Paidi

Only missing Keyser Soze.