Connacht Minor football championship 2011

Started by ross4life, June 17, 2011, 08:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Ok we started off this Championship with a comprehensive win over New York in April but the real deal starts in a little over a week.

It's looking like a very competitive championship this year though obviously Mayo having won three in row Connacht titles will be the team to beat.

25th June Sligo v Galway  Markievicz Park
26th June Mayo v Roscommon McHale Park
2nd July Leitrim v Sligo/Galway Pairc Sean Mac Diarmada
17th July ---------- v-------------- Dr Hyde Park
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

Whatever about U-21 predicting minor is a real lottery. I would hope we have a pretty good team this year considering Jarlath's breezed through Connacht and probably should have won the Hogan. Don't think they were any great shakes during the league but they were missing a clatter of players so should nearly have a new team out against Sligo. But with minors who knows really?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 17, 2011, 08:52:39 PM
Whatever about U-21 predicting minor is a real lottery. I would hope we have a pretty good team this year considering Jarlath's breezed through Connacht probably should have won the Hogan. Don't think they were any great shakes during the league but they were missing a clatter of players so should nearly have a new team out against Sligo. But with minors who knows really?

Connacht championship A final Jarlaths 3-10 Summerhill 1-12
Connacht League A final Jarlaths 0-10 Summerhill 3-6

Only for summerhill gave jarlaths a serious lead in first game would of been alot different, alot subs made big impacts and obviously jarlaths had the advantage of seeing summerhill in the semi whereas muirdeachs chickened out to give jarlaths a bye plus clearly summerhill started wrong team. Anyway i expect us to be competitive hopefully. I think its unfair to say jarlaths breezed it. I agree that jarlaths should of beaten colmans though, but summerhill aint far behind if at all.

Im probably going to go to this game on June 25th rather than Seniors in Wicklow. Imo we are far better getting Galway first as i feel there most vunerable at this stage. The connacht council have made us play away to Galway last 4yrs, having 50 more clubs wasnt enough of a advantage so its nice to see it in Markievicz.

Last yr we should of been closer losing 13 to 9, i think the yrs before that Galway were blessed, we lost by a 1pt in one...
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

Should have at least two club mates playing against Galway on Saturday so will be going to see the minors rather than the seniors (even though I am in Dublin Friday night). Sligonian is right in what he says. Jarlaths were good this year but so too were Summerhill. Our league was a bit uninspiring too and it is hard to know how minors will go but I'd be hopeful.

Rossfan

Disgraceful fixture making by the Connacht Council making Ros ( who were due a home game v Mayowestros ) play in Castlebar before the Mayowestros Senior game.
The game is at 12 so a small Ros support will be outnumbered by the homesters, Also Ros people expected to pay €25 or 30 to see their Minors and of course everything done to try and get a victory for the rhubarbs.
Calling on all Ros people to go to this game no matter the cost or inconvenience till we show the scheming cnuts behind this disgraceful plot.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Hard to know how any minor team will line out. I'm not sure how many lads we have back from last year's side that lost the AI semi-final to Cork. I know Shane Maughan and Conor Rabbitte are minor again so should figure up front anyway. Then I presume Shane Walsh and Ian Burke from Jarlath's will join them. Walsh of course was a scoring machine in this year's Hogan campaign. Not sure if your man Varley from Jarlath's is available (the ginger haired lad). He seemed to go off with a shoulder injury against Colman's near the end of that game.

Any time you have to go away from home for your first game at minor you are up against it. Get over the first game and the team can begin to gel a little but very easy to get caught first day out as minors can be very inconsistent. Certainly looks quite open this year anyway.

ross4life

Quote from: Rossfan on June 17, 2011, 10:13:00 PM
Disgraceful fixture making by the Connacht Council making Ros ( who were due a home game v Mayowestros ) play in Castlebar before the Mayowestros Senior game.
The game is at 12 so a small Ros support will be outnumbered by the homesters, Also Ros people expected to pay €25 or 30 to see their Minors and of course everything done to try and get a victory for the rhubarbs.
Calling on all Ros people to go to this game no matter the cost or inconvenience till we show the scheming cnuts behind this disgraceful plot.

Apparently their hands were tied..unfortunately we have too many yes men in our county board.

Anyway venue and ticketing aside it's a great chance to see two Roscommon teams in a Hyde park Connacht final & i think 1990 was the last time that happened.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on June 17, 2011, 10:13:00 PM

Ros are the form team going by the league anyway. But I agree, 12 is awful early however, I wouldn't be too sure about being 'outnumbered' too much. There'll be frig all at the game I'm afraid.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

galwayman

GBB that Varley lad is overage for minor this year.He was on it last year alright.
Shaughnessy from Ballinasloe is another survivor from last years starting team. I think he is the only other survivor apart from Rabbitte and Maughan. It's hard to know how good this minor team is. I saw them against Mayo and they were awful but there was probably only 2 or 3 lads on the team that day that will start next weekend.

There will be a good number of Jarlaths lads on the team most definitely - Walsh,Nolan,Mulryan,Burke,possibly Armstrong and Silke and one or 2 others.
Add the likes of Maughan, Rabbitte, Shaughnessy, Gary Kelly, Gearoid Canavan into the side and it should make for a strong side.
It's vital to get to a Connacht final to guarantee an AI quarter final

ross4life

Only team named so far is Galway's

Conor Gleeson (Dunmore McHales)

Liam Silke (Corofin),  James Shaughnessy(C)(Ballinasloe),  Conor Cunningham, (Corofin);

Eoin Walsh (Moycullen), Gearoid Canavan (Salthill/Knocknacarra), Cathal Mulryan (Cortoon)

Shane Geoghegan (Oranmore/Maree), Sean Moran (Claregalway);

Patrick Glynn (Dunmore McHales), Ian Burke (Corofin), Conor Rabbitte (Kilkerrin/Clonberne);

Gary Kelly (Williamstown), Shane Maughan (St. Michaels), Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin/Clonberne).

How many of the St Jarlath's lads is on that team?

galwayman

6 jarlaths lads I make it...silke,Cunningham and mulryan in defence.Glynn(who was wing back for jarlaths iirc),Burke and Walsh up front.several others on the bench I'm sure

ross4life

Quote from: galwayman on June 23, 2011, 08:01:59 PM
6 jarlaths lads I make it...silke,Cunningham and mulryan in defence.Glynn(who was wing back for jarlaths iirc),Burke and Walsh up front.several others on the bench I'm sure

Cheers. some of the Sligo lads might be interested in the William hill odds as their team are 4/1 to beat Galway.

spuds

Mayo minor team for Sunday
3rd O'Shea brother starting out at midfield for the day after older 2 getting the start for senior match

1) Shane Strogen

2) Eoghan Collins            3) Andrew Strutt         4) Padraig O'Hora

5) Conor Horan              6) Shane Irwin             7) Aidan Butler

8) Conor O'Shea (Capt.) 9) Gareth O'Donnell

10) Kevin Gibbons         11) Ryan Quirke           12) Adam Gallagher

13) James Shaughnessy 14) Anthony Jordan     15) Evan Regan
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

moysider

4 Ballina lads starting. Not bad going. Looks like the balance of power going west might only be temporary ;) Stutt is an interesting one. An import. Wouldn t have played football until he was 14. Yet we can t seem to buy full backs of our own that grow up with the game. So that s at least 2 lads with English accents. Great to see imo. Can t wait for the Burmese lads in a few years time.

Tatler Jack

Quote from: moysider on June 23, 2011, 11:38:13 PM

4 Ballina lads starting. Not bad going. Looks like the balance of power going west might only be temporary ;) Strutt is an interesting one. An import. Wouldn t have played football until he was 14. Yet we can t seem to buy full backs of our own that grow up with the game. So that s at least 2 lads with English accents. Great to see imo. Can t wait for the Burmese lads in a few years time.

Mayo have had their fair share of Strutters down the years!!! ;)