The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Quote from: finbar o tool on February 17, 2017, 12:03:09 AM
Quote from: Tobias on January 18, 2017, 04:39:24 PM
There can be a debate about clubs amalgamating etc but the key point that I keep going back to is the lack of planning for the future at Co level. As I've said on so many occasions a plan for laois hurling must be devised structurally, financially supported and followed through by a full time director of hurling and a team working under him. I believe it's a travesty that the one man that had the vision and the passion to make it happen is no longer involved at any County level.

Absolutely agree, we can talk about numbers and physical size etc etc all day long but none of that matters if the above is not implemented. We are LITERALLY 10/15 years behind the likes of Dublin/Clare/Kilkenny when it comes to coaching and structures and organisation.

Whatever about being behind the 3 counties you mention when you have a massive hurling population like Tipp or Cork, forget about it when you have 8 senior standard clubs and the population of south Laois.

In fairness, the quality of player development has improved but still has miles to go. We are probably on a par with Offaly and Westmeath which isn't saying a whole lot.

clonadmad

A good competitive game between Laois schools and Kieran's in the juvenile grade

Kieran's winning by 2/3 goals

redsetanta

That's not a bad performance at all baring in mind that both of these teams will provide most of these lads to the respective county panels.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on February 17, 2017, 02:48:06 PM
That's not a bad performance at all baring in mind that both of these teams will provide most of these lads to the respective county panels.
Surely Laois schools are without the MCS boys for a start?

And of course Kilkenny CBS is the equal of Kieran's.

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on February 17, 2017, 09:18:41 PM
Quote from: redsetanta on February 17, 2017, 02:48:06 PM
Surely Laois schools are without the MCS boys for a start?

And of course Kilkenny CBS is the equal of Kieran's.

Kk cbs are hardly the equal of Kieran's.

They would be the 2nd best team in Leinster schools but 2nd nonetheless

clonadmad

Underage fixtures up on the laoisgaa website now

Ogie

Is there any development plan being adhered to, introduced or worked upon for Laois underage hurling or is every grade just paddling their own canoe and hoping for the best??

Is there any leadership or Hurling director in place??

Or did the county board really let the one man with this vision walk away ??

clonadmad

Quote from: Ogie on February 22, 2017, 02:42:46 PM
Is there any development plan being adhered to, introduced or worked upon for Laois underage hurling or is every grade just paddling their own canoe and hoping for the best??

Is there any leadership or Hurling director in place??

Or did the county board really let the one man with this vision walk away ??

Isn't Cheddar involved with his own club

As far as I can see every club paddles their own canoe with the odd bit of assistance from the GDA's

That said most dynamic clubs throughout the country have 4/5 committed underage mentors to thank for any success they might have.

More work needs to be done in the schools....badly.

Clubber Lang

The key to developing GAA is the schools and especially at primary level. Dublin pumped serious time, money and efforts (I know they are playing at a very different financial base) into the primary schools 10/15 years. Every school had access to dedicated and qualified Games development coaches who went into the schools promoting both football and hurling. Juvenile participation numbers rocketed as a result, especially the numbers playing hurling from areas that once never did. Kilmacud Crokes I believe have more U14 footballers then in the whole of Leitrim at present. While I'm not saying we can replicate the Dublin model as the resources aren't in the county, we can do more to up the participation levels and get children wanting to play hurling and football. Otherwise we are going to get left further and further behind.     

clonadmad

Quote from: Clubber Lang on February 22, 2017, 04:46:13 PM
The key to developing GAA is the schools and especially at primary level. Dublin pumped serious time, money and efforts (I know they are playing at a very different financial base) into the primary schools 10/15 years. Every school had access to dedicated and qualified Games development coaches who went into the schools promoting both football and hurling. Juvenile participation numbers rocketed as a result, especially the numbers playing hurling from areas that once never did. Kilmacud Crokes I believe have more U14 footballers then in the whole of Leitrim at present. While I'm not saying we can replicate the Dublin model as the resources aren't in the county, we can do more to up the participation levels and get children wanting to play hurling and football. Otherwise we are going to get left further and further behind.   

We don't have the population of Dublin and we don't need the finances either thankfully as we don't have them in the first place.We need to get organized,work smart and light a candle rather than always cursing the dark.

Sure Dublin got millions but they spent it well.

We need to get creative the schools coach initiative is a good start but coaches are limited to 18 blocks per school,this needs to be expanded,by right there shouldn't be a limit on this.

You have the situation in KK and Tipp where kids in 1st/2nd classes are playing games during school time be it class leagues,parish leagues or inter school leagues.Kids here start at 5/6 class with cumann na mbunscoil.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: clonadmad on February 22, 2017, 05:11:33 PM
Quote from: Clubber Lang on February 22, 2017, 04:46:13 PM

We don't have the population of Dublin and we don't need the finances either thankfully as we don't have them in the first place.We need to get organized,work smart and light a candle rather than always cursing the dark.

Sure Dublin got millions but they spent it well.

We need to get creative the schools coach initiative is a good start but coaches are limited to 18 blocks per school,this needs to be expanded,by right there shouldn't be a limit on this.

You have the situation in KK and Tipp where kids in 1st/2nd classes are playing games during school time be it class leagues,parish leagues or inter school leagues.Kids here start at 5/6 class with cumann na mbunscoil.

Who limits this?
Is this the coach that is part funded by the county board?

If the county board limit it, I'd imagine they are simply limiting the potential cost to them.
There is nothing to stop the club, through agreement with the school/schools in question, increasing the contact time at their own cost, or through the use of volunteers.
College students, shift workers, unemployed people- I'm sure every club has a handful who would be prepared to go in on a rota basis.
It would be the best investment of time and/or money that a club would ever make.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

redsetanta

I know Larry Wall in Arles used go into the primary school every Friday on his own time to get the kids playing football (both boys and girls) Don't know if he still does it but he did for years and most of those who played would have ended up with the Arles club. He did it for the love of the game and also to get future club players.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on February 23, 2017, 09:22:42 AM
I know Larry Wall in Arles used go into the primary school every Friday on his own time to get the kids playing football (both boys and girls) Don't know if he still does it but he did for years and most of those who played would have ended up with the Arles club. He did it for the love of the game and also to get future club players.
Cant blame them, isnt that why any club sends coaches into schools. I've even heard tell of a club sneaking a coach into a school not in their parish.

clonadmad

Nature does abhor a vacuum Don  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

In relation to the club school initiative,the money is allocated from Croke Park to the County Board,maybe this is a radical concept but shouldn't HQ be asked for more funding if the budget is being over subscribed?,we seem to be fairly meek in this regard.

But I also take your point,Keyser that every club should be sending in its own people and be a bit more proactive also.