Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: Tubberman on June 12, 2011, 05:49:25 PM
Ballinrobe 0-06 Breaffy 1-10
Charlestown 0-12 Ballaghaderreen 1-12
Castlebar 3-14 Aghamore 1-06
Ballina 1-03 Shrule 1-04
Ballina Shrule game was very poor even taking into account the conditions. Ballina had the best of the 1st half with the wind and only managed a goal from a penalty. Harte had a great chance for a goal missed. Shrule looked more dangerous up top with Ronaldson but Ballina kicked some silly balls away and insisted on carry the ball which was like a bar of soap into tackles.Can't complain when you score once from play and its the last kick of the game. Doubt the game would have raised Horans spirits who was there, would have been better off in Charlestown by the sounds of it.
Quote of the day from a lad: Jaysus Ref, the game is bad enough as it is without you making a bollox of it! :D

Mayo lads: Dermot Gearghty went off injured after about 10 minutes.

Conroy was ok but still wasn't able to dominate a makeshift Ballina midfield.

Trevor Mortimor was excellent at centre back,lovely pass to set up move for Shrule goal.

Ronaldson didn't get a kick in the first 25minutes, Tomas Doherty had him cleaned. Came more into the game as it went on, you know what you get from him though.Took the goal well

Conor Mortimor was named on the subs but didn't feature.

Clarke made a great save in the second half, great courage, took man and ball.

McGarrity: Not named in subs
Caff: Not named in subs.

Harte came on after 15mins, did well, always looking for the ball, came into his own when moved out for FF to midfield.

AbbeySider

Farrandeelin, any report on your teams shock result?

venter

Does anyone know where I could find the fixture list for the county senior championship from the quarter finals onwards?

ludermor

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 10, 2011, 11:14:44 PM
I'll be backing Kiltane for the win
PP had Kiltane at 9/2, i heard a few lads at home lumped on a few quid , not sure if they were tempted by the high odds or if Kiltane were that confident!

southsider

How did o sheas go for breaffy. Good result for them gainst my neighbours. If anyone at game any info on who did well etc would be great. Could be a long summer for the breaffy lads. Another struggle for the robe

moysider

Quote from: ballinaman on June 12, 2011, 06:05:50 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on June 12, 2011, 05:49:25 PM
Ballinrobe 0-06 Breaffy 1-10
Charlestown 0-12 Ballaghaderreen 1-12
Castlebar 3-14 Aghamore 1-06
Ballina 1-03 Shrule 1-04
Ballina Shrule game was very poor even taking into account the conditions. Ballina had the best of the 1st half with the wind and only managed a goal from a penalty. Harte had a great chance for a goal missed. Shrule looked more dangerous up top with Ronaldson but Ballina kicked some silly balls away and insisted on carry the ball which was like a bar of soap into tackles.Can't complain when you score once from play and its the last kick of the game. Doubt the game would have raised Horans spirits who was there, would have been better off in Charlestown by the sounds of it.
Quote of the day from a lad: Jaysus Ref, the game is bad enough as it is without you making a bollox of it! :D

Mayo lads: Dermot Gearghty went off injured after about 10 minutes.

Conroy was ok but still wasn't able to dominate a makeshift Ballina midfield.

Trevor Mortimor was excellent at centre back,lovely pass to set up move for Shrule goal.

Ronaldson didn't get a kick in the first 25minutes, Tomas Doherty had him cleaned. Came more into the game as it went on, you know what you get from him though.Took the goal well

Conor Mortimor was named on the subs but didn't feature.

Clarke made a great save in the second half, great courage, took man and ball.

McGarrity: Not named in subs
Caff: Not named in subs.

Harte came on after 15mins, did well, always looking for the ball, came into his own when moved out for FF to midfield.

I was at the match but .............  I ve made several attempts to type something about the game but cannot. There s no point. J. Horan was there and he would have been happy enough. He knows that he was correct to bring Geraghty and Trevor back. He ll also consider bringing Harte in even if he s strapped up with lollipop sticks and round-bale tape. He ll be praying for the recovery of McGar and Cafferkey - although I realise there is little regard out there for these guys.

On another note though it is unfortunate that a young fella suffered a rotten injury in a shitty game like this - considering he s fractured a leg and a jaw break in the recent past. Ok, on the telly they are moaning about the hits being taken out of the game. But at club it is getting more physical, to the point of dangerous especially when you re dealing with young lads and an amatuer sport. In the past you got a shot off the ball from a guy with a belly, and a real psycho tried to kick your achilles off. Now you ve got club coaches trying to play club players like Tyrone or Armagh did in their pomp.  It s a letal coctail for player and spectator. It s ending up a hybrid of puke football and rugby league. Grand if you win as a player or coach. But nobody is going to watch this shite. Eventually it ll resolve itself I suppose. No point beating oneself up about it. Some day a team from Meath or Galway or Kerry will win an AI by kicking the ball from back to front and everybody will try to do the same. Strange thing is though that Cork won it - and almost lost it - by doin that last year. Yet most teams are still goin the Down way - and it took several years for them to bend the knee and leave their traditional heritage behind.

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on June 14, 2011, 12:39:01 AM
On another note though it is unfortunate that a young fella suffered a rotten injury in a shitty game like this - considering he s fractured a leg and a jaw break in the recent past

Who are you talking about there Moy?

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 14, 2011, 09:18:39 AM
On another note though it is unfortunate that a young fella suffered a rotten injury in a shitty game like this - considering he s fractured a leg and a jaw break in the recent past

Rory Smyth from Ballina broke his jaw in three places. Apparently it was accidental but I wasn't at the game.
I can't agree with you Moy - you seem to be saying that it is more dangerous now than it was years ago?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 14, 2011, 12:37:01 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on June 14, 2011, 09:18:39 AM

Rory Smyth from Ballina broke his jaw in three places. Apparently it was accidental but I wasn't at the game.
I can't agree with you Moy - you seem to be saying that it is more dangerous now than it was years ago?

Thanks for that R&GS, its never nice to hear of a player picking up an injury like that. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

I have to agree with you and disagree with Moy on the game being more dangerous than it was years ago.

If anything the game has gone much faster where lining up hard hits is near impossible as players are moving so quickly. Also not as many fights break out as they used to and injurys like bloody noses are rarer than they once were.

In fact, in Mayo we especially dont play with that sort of steel and have not done so for years. Nice footballers is what we are branded.

moysider

I did nt see the injury happen and there is no suggestion from me that there was anything sinister about it. It s a contact sport and people get injuries.

The point I was trying to make is that with kicking being taken out of the game it is creating more contact at pace. Years ago as a young lad you could get the shite bet out of ye by some f**ker with hair growing out of his ears, without the ball ever coming near the pair of ye. Pure dirt.

Now there is more injuries collision related. Maybe that is just me off the mark. I dunno. Players are now fitter and faster and run into traffic more instead of kicking the ball when confronted by a challenge..

Not a problem with the better conditioned senior players. But you find now underage teams ( 14 yr olds etc) are playing possession running games with players being instructed to keep the ball. I m thinking now of a match last year when 3 lads ended up in A&E. 2 were fractures, One was an awkward fall but the other two injuries was down to the carrier being nailed. One being a cheekbone fracture from a high and late tackle on a player carrying the ball and laying it off.

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on June 14, 2011, 10:24:08 PM
But you find now underage teams ( 14 yr olds etc) are playing possession running games with players being instructed to keep the ball. I m thinking now of a match last year when 3 lads ended up in A&E. 2 were fractures, One was an awkward fall but the other two injuries was down to the carrier being nailed. One being a cheekbone fracture from a high and late tackle on a player carrying the ball and laying it off.

If players are being instructed to keep the ball at that age, not only do the players have no chance, the club will have little future.

Thats the exact opposite of what players should be thought which is to move the ball quickly and play first time football. If you dont do it at that age then its very serious. Im not surprised with those injurys as kids are more awkward at that stage anyway as they are still developing the skills.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 13, 2011, 09:24:14 AM

Knockmore lacked any attempt to hit hard and win any breaking ball that was in the middle third. It was all down to Kiltane's hunger and desire to win. They could and should have won by more but kicked a lot of wides in the first half with the breeze. It's do or die (literally) for us next day. Lose and we're in the relegation battle.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 17, 2011, 11:09:52 PM

Knockmore lacked any attempt to hit hard and win any breaking ball that was in the middle third. It was all down to Kiltane's hunger and desire to win. They could and should have won by more but kicked a lot of wides in the first half with the breeze. It's do or die (literally) for us next day. Lose and we're in the relegation battle.

Really!!!!
Hasta la victoria siempre

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on June 17, 2011, 11:44:44 PM

Really!!!!

Well you know what I mean!  :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 18, 2011, 12:10:55 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on June 17, 2011, 11:44:44 PM

Really!!!!

Well you know what I mean!  :D

Did you say that you're a teacher??  :P
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."