Shrule-Glencorrib B vs Ballyhaunis B  Conceded
Westport B vs Breaffy B

Mayo G.A.A. Senior Football League Division 1G
17/04/2011
Ballycroy  vs Swinford B
Kilcommon B vs Belmullet B 
Mayo Gaels B vs Achill B Conceded
Kilmovee B vs The Neale B   
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: AbbeySider on April 15, 2011, 09:38:54 PM
Quote from: saffronandblue on April 15, 2011, 04:39:34 PM
I was only commenting on what I had heard at work if you read my post again....obviously that was wrong so my subsequent comment is null and void.

I happen to think that Gibbons does not work hard enough, thats only my opinion so no need to get all hot and bothered about it.  We all have our own opinions on who should be in and who should be out.  I don't see you arguning with my main point, in that we don't have subs panel that you could call on if need must.  For the forward in particular, if you take it that O'Shea will pay mid-field.  Thats nots Horans fault, I just dont think we have a great debth of talent in the forward department.

You can look back on my posts on C. O'Connor if you want to know how highly I rate him.  I reckon he will be our centre half forward for the next decade if he can deliver on his potential.

Thats all fine saffronandblue, but I got disgruntled when you accused Horan of nepotism which you should retract.
We can do without that pub type loose talk and bullshit as it has no foundation whatsoever.

Regarding your subs comment, its an oxymoron to suggest that we dont have a settled 15 (due to the battle for places in every position) yet your insisting that Mayo dont have subs that can be called on? If im understanding you, thats a total contradiction in terms

At the close of play in the league it looked to me that Horan was settliing on a favoured set up and about 13 places settled if everybody available and fit. Vaughan and Howley could figure yet of course - but probably only one of them, if any, short term.

Clarke/Hennelly, Cuniffe, Duine Eile, Higgins, Feeney, Cafferkey, Duine Eile, AOS, McGarrity, Campbell, Dillon, McLoughlin, Freeman, Andy, Doherty. Two inside of course.

I suspect that is pretty well written but of course a lot may be forced to change with the usual quota of injuries to be expected. But I think that would be the team and shape in his head and I would agree 100% from what I ve seen.

We have subs but I can see Saffronandblue's point as well. We will be able to mullock along well with good cover for backs and midfield (although I think AOS and Ronan in midfield, on form, are well ahead of anybody on the bench - which is a good reflection on their ability).
The forwards are a bit of a worry. On league form there is nobody near Freeman or Doherty - not even close, for the fullforward line. So in Horan seemingly preferred setup there is nobody to go, like for like, as a sub, if Doherty or Freeman have to be replaced. If he goes to  replacing them with a big target man or three inside, the whole dynamic of the team changes - and not for the better. That s why if  I were Horan I would check Conroys form because on form he is the probably the most important sub we could have.

AbbeySider

Am I missing something here Moy? Whats this calling for Michael Conroy? Why the big reputation all of a sudden before a club championship ball is kicked? Was he not in Australia since 2006/07? Aidan Campbell, Austin O'Malley, Damien Munnelly and Michael Conroy all invited to take part in trials in November, of which only AOM and Campbell got onto the next stage. There could be a clue in that.

Are you basing the possibility of Conroys involvement on current club form? Please dont tell me your basing it on an average season back in 2006.  ;)

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on April 15, 2011, 10:26:29 PM
We have subs but I can see Saffronandblue's point as well. We will be able to mullock along well with good cover for backs and midfield (although I think AOS and Ronan in midfield, on form, are well ahead of anybody on the bench - which is a good reflection on their ability).
The forwards are a bit of a worry. On league form there is nobody near Freeman or Doherty - not even close, for the fullforward line. So in Horan seemingly preferred setup there is nobody to go, like for like, as a sub, if Doherty or Freeman have to be replaced. If he goes to  replacing them with a big target man or three inside, the whole dynamic of the team changes - and not for the better. That s why if  I were Horan I would check Conroys form because on form he is the probably the most important sub we could have.

We have loads of options in the forwards, so I dont get this great fear thats a hold of you both.
There is multiple choices on the half forward and full forward lines, and no one team selection has to be the ultimate team as different tactics and selections work against different teams.

saffronandblue

Nice to see Damien Munnellys name popping up.  He has been one of the most consistent performer at club level in the past few seasons.  Not a bad free taker either.  Lacks some bulk which plays against him.  His performances for Knockmore towards the end of last season were very good, I thought. 

Have not seen Conroy for awhile but he did look the business a few years back.  I reckon Moysiders pick is almost on the money with Vaughan and Howley on the team if fit.  Varley or O'Connor look like the other options up front but can't see them starting.

I wonder why corner backs/ full backs are in such short supply in Mayo.  Not sure we have produced a real good one since Kevin Cahill.  Most of the lads picked over the last few years are converted from other positions.  I would be a bit worried about Cunniffe in the corner, a fairly reliable Castlebar stalwart told me recently that he has always struggled to judge the long high ball.  The Dublin game would back this up.

moysider

Quote from: AbbeySider on April 15, 2011, 11:12:02 PM
Am I missing something here Moy? Whats this calling for Michael Conroy? Why the big reputation all of a sudden before a club championship ball is kicked? Was he not in Australia since 2006/07? Aidan Campbell, Austin O'Malley, Damien Munnelly and Michael Conroy all invited to take part in trials in November, of which only AOM and Campbell got onto the next stage. There could be a clue in that.

Are you basing the possibility of Conroys involvement on current club form? Please dont tell me your basing it on an average season back in 2006.  ;)

Jesus your awful touchy Abbeysider. Most of us are pretty much in agreement with what is happening but your taking exception to even the slightest slight on your clubman. 

As regards Conroy. God no, not 2006. And wasn t aware he was away for so long?

He got back to fighting condition last year and his club form was very good. Conroy has a reputation among development coaches as one of the best forwards (some say the best) that has come through the system. He used to have the best reputation of the lot so it not all of a sudden ( as I recall it was 2004 he scored a goal in an AI final as a sub before being bizzaredly taken off in U21 final while doing well). Thing s did go a bit pear shape but his quality was never an issue.
I m not calling for Conroy as such- and it doesn't say much in his favour that he declined to get involved already - but the reality is, he is the only alternative to Freeman and Doherty we have as a quality forward inside.

Not sure what you mean by clue?

Campbell was always going to make the cut if he showed up. The other 2, not so. You can t compare Conroy and the other 2.

moysider

Quote from: AbbeySider on April 15, 2011, 11:26:58 PM
Quote from: moysider on April 15, 2011, 10:26:29 PM

We have loads of options in the forwards, so I dont get this great fear thats a hold of you both.
There is multiple choices on the half forward and full forward lines, and no one team selection has to be the ultimate team as different tactics and selections work against different teams.

Ah, come on Abbeysider. You know well what we mean. No we don t have multiple choice options and choices.  There are only a limited number of forwards. That not Horan s fault - just the way things are now. To his credit he knows that Freeman and Doherty are the only show in town. That s why I was hopin for a Conroy rebirth. The cull reflects that to. Two inside forwards gone? He s deliberately moving on and he s right from.. er em traditional type Mayo forwards.

Mayo have to play a running game anyway but anything happen Freeman and Doherty ....... And before anybody jumps down my throat again... at least we have them. And fair play to Horan. we could still have *****, ****** * ****** and ****** inside. My call for Conroy was because he is the only player we have that could back up Doherty and Freeman.
What selection v Galway. Get that game wrong we can all go on Ryanair.com. As regards multiple choices in the forwards that may be so to an extent but its pretty much the same 6 rejigged or a big lad being put in to do the cat among pigeons but we ev seen all that before.

moysider

Quote from: saffronandblue on April 15, 2011, 11:27:57 PM
Nice to see Damien Munnellys name popping up.  He has been one of the most consistent performer at club level in the past few seasons.  Not a bad free taker either.  Lacks some bulk which plays against him.  His performances for Knockmore towards the end of last season were very good, I thought. 

Have not seen Conroy for awhile but he did look the business a few years back.  I reckon Moysiders pick is almost on the money with Vaughan and Howley on the team if fit.  Varley or O'Connor look like the other options up front but can't see them starting.

I wonder why corner backs/ full backs are in such short supply in Mayo.  Not sure we have produced a real good one since Kevin Cahill.  Most of the lads picked over the last few years are converted from other positions.  I would be a bit worried about Cunniffe in the corner, a fairly reliable Castlebar stalwart told me recently that he has always struggled to judge the long high ball.  The Dublin game would back this up.

I remember Damien taking an awful bad skelp in Breffni Park in 04. Knocked out cold. He s taken a few. If he was a boxer he would not get a licence. Just never got big enough for senior county.

I would not see Howley and Vaughan as automatic choices for the championship. In fact I would see neither as. Although the circumstances were not perfect I thought both were a bit impulsive and naive last year. Pity they were not around for the league to compare them with those that were. It may well be they have to work to stay in contention. A few of their cohort have already been decommissioned. 

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on April 16, 2011, 12:59:51 AM
Quote from: saffronandblue on April 15, 2011, 11:27:57 PM

I remember Damien taking an awful bad skelp in Breffni Park in 04. Knocked out cold. He s taken a few. If he was a boxer he would not get a licence. Just never got big enough for senior county.

I would not see Howley and Vaughan as automatic choices for the championship. In fact I would see neither as. Although the circumstances were not perfect I thought both were a bit impulsive and naive last year. Pity they were not around for the league to compare them with those that were. It may well be they have to work to stay in contention. A few of their cohort have already been decommissioned.

Dont think Howley will make the team but he is a good guy to have in reserve to come in to do a job., but Vaughan definitely will.
I see the backs line out as follows:

Clarke
Cunniffe/Hallinan    Alan Feeney    Keith Higgins
Alan Feeney    Cafferkey    Vaughan

Or a variation of the above...

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on April 16, 2011, 12:12:05 AM
Jesus your awful touchy Abbeysider. Most of us are pretty much in agreement with what is happening but your taking exception to even the slightest slight on your clubman. 
Im not Moy, but as I said, saffronandblue should apologise for his nepotism comment.

Quote from: moysider on April 16, 2011, 12:12:05 AM
As regards Conroy. God no, not 2006. And wasn t aware he was away for so long?
He got back to fighting condition last year and his club form was very good. Conroy has a reputation among development coaches as one of the best forwards (some say the best) that has come through the system. He used to have the best reputation of the lot so it not all of a sudden ( as I recall it was 2004 he scored a goal in an AI final as a sub before being bizzaredly taken off in U21 final while doing well). Thing s did go a bit pear shape but his quality was never an issue.
I m not calling for Conroy as such- and it doesn't say much in his favour that he declined to get involved already - but the reality is, he is the only alternative to Freeman and Doherty we have as a quality forward inside.

Not sure what you mean by clue?

Campbell was always going to make the cut if he showed up. The other 2, not so. You can t compare Conroy and the other 2.

Going back to Conroy, he was definitely involved in trials last November
http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?view=article&id=11345:hopefuls-go-on-trial-for-mayo&option=com_content&catid=14&Itemid=100008

Are you saying that it was his decision not to continue? Im surprised at that as I had assumed he didnt show as being good enough.
I have to admit that I was not aware of his club form, but I was making the point he was away for a while and the club season is very young so I didnt know where that was coming from.

RedandGreenSniper

I'll be seeing Michael Conroy in action tonight, I'll tell ye what his club form is like! He is meant to be moving well and if he is fit and his head is in it, he'd be a shoo-in on the Mayo panel. Have no doubt about it.

Regarding the make-up of our possible team, it ain't set in stone at all. In fact I would say only eight positions are nailed down - Keith Higgins at 4, Richie Feeney at 5, Ger Caff at 6, Ronan McGarrity at 8, Andy and Dillon at 11 and 12, Freeman and Doherty at 14 and 15. Alan Feeney will probably be number 3, Aidan O'Shea and Kevin McLoughlin should start, but where? O'Shea could be midfield or half-forward, McLoughlin at 7, 10 or 13. Cunniffe, Hallinan and A Feeney fighting for 2 and 3. Varley, Campbell and Cillian O'Connor in the mix in the forward line too. Any amount of contenders at 7 and two goalkeepers to pick from. But that's a good position to be in.

I think we do have decent options for the full-forward line aside from Doherty and Freeman. Varley, O'Connor and Douglas all have potential. Sure, we haven't been able to see enough of them yet to know if they are definitely of the standard but I think they won't be far away.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

REDCOL

Dont think you will see Conroy tonight RGS, and the man who is playing super football at the minute Colm Boyle. It's a pity he is a little small because he is sum bit of stuff. He is the main man in the Davitts team.

Farrandeelin

McDonald had a good game for Crossmolina this evening. He's as fit as ever I saw him.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 16, 2011, 09:25:39 PM
McDonald had a good game for Crossmolina this evening. He's as fit as ever I saw him.

Wow, sharp intake of breath. Is this the start of a campaign 'deelin?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on April 16, 2011, 10:10:41 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 16, 2011, 09:25:39 PM

Wow, sharp intake of breath. Is this the start of a campaign 'deelin?

It could be. Every Knockmore man I spoke to last night and today said 'class is permanent' and he's still 'worthy of a call up again'. I don't jump on bandwagons however, but he was in great form in midfield for them. However there is a difference in Knockmore's midfield and any line on a county team we'll be playing against. When McLoughlin went to midfield, he kinda quietened him, but he was delivering passes 30/40 yards all the same.