Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 28, 2011, 09:07:10 PM
Ballaghaderreen are managed by Kieran Gallagher this year I believe.

Correct, keep an eye on them.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Tubberman

Quote from: highorlow on April 06, 2011, 09:19:09 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/mayo-supporters-club-under-spotlight-2611160.html

This is probably false and misinformed journalism from the Dublin media?

It's written by Daniel Carey of The Mayo News. The same report is on www.mayonews.ie and a similar one on examiner.ie
Nothing false or misinformed about it from what I can see!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

stephenite

I recall a night in the Burlington Hotel a good few years ago when Kevin McStay advised that any monies raised by any group outside of Mayo, for the benefit of Mayo football be kept out of the hands of the county board, it was my understanding that this was to be the case. Now this may have changed in the intervening years but I'm not so sure.

I'm not sure where Alan Flannery from Ballinrobe gets the notion that he or anyone else are entitled to know "what's going on in the supporters club"

Paddy Muldoon makes a good point about those that contribute anonymously, they do so towards the operational costs of running Mayo GAA teams-they don't contribute to pay for the over blown costs of a new stand that the strategically inept County board decided to build.

AbbeySider

I know that there are some fantastic patrons of Mayo county (and sometimes club) football that pay for meals, accomodation or transport upfront and dont go through the county board at all. They just look after the bill. They are an invaluable resource and it shouldnt be questioned really.

This article is a storm in a teacup, and a misunderstanding. 

stephenite

I'm not sure it is a storm in a tea cup, the county board do not control what monies are raised by supporters club. Supporters do not pay, and do not want to pay for ground works, improvments and the likes.

If Alan Flannery gets his way a lot of these monies will dry up because people do not want to give money direct to the County board

highorlow

QuoteI'm not sure where Alan Flannery from Ballinrobe gets the notion that he or anyone else are entitled to know "what's going on in the supporters club"

I was wondering the same thing. Who is the Kevin McDonnell lad who is "deeply troubled" by accounting processes in the GAA? Shur this is no different to every county in the country and its probably something to do with the tax man.

Still a response statement will be required I reckon.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

muppet

QuoteKilmaine GAA Club delegate Kevin McDonnell said he was "quite astonished" by the revelation and "deeply troubled" by accounting processes in the GAA. "If the Revenue Commissioners came in tomorrow, would they have questions?" he asked at Monday night's meeting of Mayo GAA Board.

It is hard to know whether this is attention seeking or someone with a grudge trying to tarnish someone else. I suspect the latter given my only dealings with these type of people.

Club-Mayo is answerable to its members and to the laws of the land. I don't speak for them and am not on their committee but in my experience they are of unquestionable integrity and give a remarkable amount of time and energy to the project. They also seem to make it to every FBD, League and dressing-room opening that is ever played by a Mayo team which is amazing considering the travel involved.

I would be happier they looked after my money than an idiot who makes sleeveen comments like this: "If the Revenue Commissioners came in tomorrow, would they have questions?".

MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

I dunno lads, I hear what ye are saying with regard to people not wanting to give money to the county board themselves but surely there should be some transparency about what is being done with this money, especially considering how secretive the county board have been with their own accounts when asked for them for the purposes of the review.

From what I've heard from the meeting the likes of Kevin McDonnell and Alan Flannery merely reacted to a strange enough comment from Paddy Muldoon, which they were entitled to question. On this I'll defer to Willie Joe, who happened to be on the finance sub-committee for the review group. He's been involved with Club Mayo as well so is probably best positioned of any of us to know the story. Here are his thoughts - http://mayogaablog.com/?p=7234

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 07, 2011, 12:45:47 PM
I dunno lads, I hear what ye are saying with regard to people not wanting to give money to the county board themselves but surely there should be some transparency about what is being done with this money, especially considering how secretive the county board have been with their own accounts when asked for them for the purposes of the review.

From what I've heard from the meeting the likes of Kevin McDonnell and Alan Flannery merely reacted to a strange enough comment from Paddy Muldoon, which they were entitled to question. On this I'll defer to Willie Joe, who happened to be on the finance sub-committee for the review group. He's been involved with Club Mayo as well so is probably best positioned of any of us to know the story. Here are his thoughts - http://mayogaablog.com/?p=7234

Wille Joe has unanswered comments such as:

On the back of this, I'm glad I never contributed any money to a supporters club.

Thou shalt not keep proper autited accounts.

No one has made a specific charge or pointed to any rule or law. What we have is a few all too typical sleeveen style smear comments that don't quite say anything but everyone immediately joins the dots and thinks fraud, corruption etc.

If someone think we would be better off without someone on the County Board then they should have the balls to stand up and say exactly that.

Here is a question. Does anyone think that Limerick County Board should insist on JP McManus providing them with annual accounts to keep CB delegates happy?

MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on April 07, 2011, 02:29:17 PM

On the back of this, I'm glad I never contributed any money to a supporters club.

No one has made a specific charge or pointed to any rule or law. What we have is a few all too typical sleeveen style smear comments that don't quite say anything but everyone immediately joins the dots and thinks fraud, corruption etc.

If someone think we would be better off without someone on the County Board then they should have the balls to stand up and say exactly that.

Here is a question. Does anyone think that Limerick County Board should insist on JP McManus providing them with annual accounts to keep CB delegates happy?

It doesn't really matter too much who is giving the money and whether they want to give their name to it or not. I don't think it is a lot to ask for that there is a record of what money comes in and where it goes and some sort of communication between the board and the supporters club. It wouldn't have to be broken down in minute detail because, perhaps, some of it is a hardship fund that doesn't need to be elaborated on. But there is something very disorganised about a supporters club operating independently of the county board yet fundraising under the name of Mayo GAA. There might be very good apparent reasons for this but at a time when money is so vital to Mayo GAA, there needs to be greater knowledge of where fundraising efforts are going. I'm not for one second implying fraud or corruption here - in fact I would find such a charge impossible to comprehend and can't see how this has been implied. But it would make a lot of sense if things were streamlined instead of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing and vice versa.

I don't see what you mean about Limerick. No one is asking for the accounts of any single contributor to Mayo GAA. Merely a record of the amount they contributed - and that can, of course, be anonymous I would contend. What McManus contributes to Limerick GAA is, as far as I know, on the public record (€5m IIRC). It is really too much to ask for the same in Mayo?

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 07, 2011, 02:41:53 PM

It doesn't really matter too much who is giving the money and whether they want to give their name to it or not. I don't think it is a lot to ask for that there is a record of what money comes in and where it goes and some sort of communication between the board and the supporters club. It wouldn't have to be broken down in minute detail because, perhaps, some of it is a hardship fund that doesn't need to be elaborated on. But there is something very disorganised about a supporters club operating independently of the county board yet fundraising under the name of Mayo GAA. There might be very good apparent reasons for this but at a time when money is so vital to Mayo GAA, there needs to be greater knowledge of where fundraising efforts are going. I'm not for one second implying fraud or corruption here - in fact I would find such a charge impossible to comprehend and can't see how this has been implied. But it would make a lot of sense if things were streamlined instead of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing and vice versa.

I don't see what you mean about Limerick. No one is asking for the accounts of any single contributor to Mayo GAA. Merely a record of the amount they contributed - and that can, of course, be anonymous I would contend. What McManus contributes to Limerick GAA is, as far as I know, on the public record (€5m IIRC). It is really too much to ask for the same in Mayo?

I think you are missing the thrust of the comments.

Willie Joe said: "that monies (much needed monies, as everyone will readily agree) raised by the supporters' club are not fully reflected in the County Board accounts"

You refer to monies received by the CB and by Limerick.

There is a significant difference between the two.

MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on April 07, 2011, 02:48:38 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 07, 2011, 02:41:53 PM

I think you are missing the thrust of the comments.

Willie Joe said: "that monies (much needed monies, as everyone will readily agree) raised by the supporters' club are not fully reflected in the County Board accounts"

You refer to monies received by the CB and by Limerick.

There is a significant difference between the two.

What I mean is that the Limerick situation is different because the amount is known and it is going straight to Limerick County Board. In Mayo, the amounts are not known and they are going to a group who are only loosely connected to the county board. I don't doubt they are doing good work, but I would expect that their fundraising efforts should be a matter of record.

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 07, 2011, 10:09:25 PM

What I mean is that the Limerick situation is different because the amount is known and it is going straight to Limerick County Board. In Mayo, the amounts are not known and they are going to a group who are only loosely connected to the county board. I don't doubt they are doing good work, but I would expect that their fundraising efforts should be a matter of record.

They are a matter of record!

This is precisely my problem. You have been influenced by the innuendo into assuming something that is not correct. Everything is fully recorded and available to the members of the supporters club. It is not run by the County Board and therefore money raised by a separate organisation has no business appearing on the County Board's accounts.
MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

When I say a matter of record, I mean a matter of record for the County Board and the clubs in Mayo. I'd have an issue with such fundraising efforts independent of Mayo GAA. Who decides where this money goes? Again, I'm not implying anything improper is being done with the money but is it being put to the best possible use? Is that any of my business? You might think not and that's your entitlement but I feel that all Mayo GAA fundraising needs to be linked. That it hasn't been up to now is a reflection more on the County Board than any supporters' clubs, who have done good work. But it is time that all fundraising efforts were centralised, especially if there is a new director of finance (or whatever the title is from the review group).