Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REDCOL

Ciaran played most of his football for Garrymore at Full Forward, he was needed out field for us. U-21 management wanted him playing in goal so didnt make the cut for them. Had plenty of ability as a full forward but was more inclined to the other end of the field. Some display yesterday all right, delighted for him. He is giving goalkeeping tuition to clubs, I know he gave our keepers three sessions and he was also down with the Crossmolina keepers.

southsider

just saw in the papers there that mayo trials were held last weekend. does anyone know as to who impressed or who of the lads listed in the trial team have genuine chances of meaking the january panel

Never beat the deeler

The Mayo News have announced their Club Stars panel, I'm pretty sure this was a public vote (I know the POTY was).

Congrats to Richie Feeney who won POTY, Brendan Prendergast of Tourmack for Intermediate POTY, James Horan for Manager of the Year and our own Ian Rowland who made the team.

Details here:
http://www.sportsmanager.ie/cake/gaa2/mayo/news/27603/Castlebar_s_Richie_Feeney_scoops_Club_Stars_Player_of_the_Year
Hasta la victoria siempre

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on December 05, 2010, 12:30:47 AM
The Mayo News have announced their Club Stars panel, I'm pretty sure this was a public vote (I know the POTY was).

Congrats to Richie Feeney who won POTY, Brendan Prendergast of Tourmack for Intermediate POTY, James Horan for Manager of the Year and our own Ian Rowland who made the team.

Details here:
http://www.sportsmanager.ie/cake/gaa2/mayo/news/27603/Castlebar_s_Richie_Feeney_scoops_Club_Stars_Player_of_the_Year

I was at it. A superb night, all credit to the Mayo News for organising it. The Club Stars team was picked by a judging panel of four - Mayo News columnist Sean Rice, Mayo News reporter Austin Garvin, Knockmore's Eamonn Clarke and County Secretary Sean Feeney.

Richie Feeney won Player of the Year on the public vote and I'd have to say he was deserving of it. He was top class all year and you'd have to think he'll go very close to the Mayo set-up next year.

From a Mayo senior team perspective there was a number of interesting selections. Alan Dillon and Trevor Howley got their fifth and fourth club stars respectively, which is some level of consistency - the thing has been running for six years.
Donal Vaughan made the team at midfield, Neil Douglas at corner-forward (for second year running) and Aidan O'Shea at full-forward. Oh, and Alan Feeney at full-back - second year running as well.
That's six from the 2010 panel picked. You'd have to think so that there's potential in the other guys who were picked - Richie Feeney, Jason Gibbons, Donal Newcombe, Ian Rowland, Ciaran Naughton along with some other of the nominees - Cathal Hallinan, James Moran, Jason Doherty etc. Plenty for James Horan to consider.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

StoneWall

Looks like West Mayo won't be competing in the championship next year...

http://www.midwestradio.ie/mwr/sport/224-paddy-mcnicholas-elected-new-chairman-of-mayo-county-board.html

PADDY MCNICHOLAS FROM KILTIMAGH WAS LAST NIGHT ELECTED AS THE NEW CHAIRMAN OF THE MAYO COUNTY BOARD.

PADDY TAKES OVER FROM JAMES WALDRON WHO STEPPED ASIDE DUE TO THE FIVE YEAR RULE.
MIKE CONNOLLY FROM HOLLYMOUNT WAS ELECTED VICE-CHAIRMAN.

EDDIE CUFFE WAS ELECTED ASSISTANT TREASURER UNOPPOSED WHILE VINCENT NEARY GOT THE ASSISTANT SECRETARY'S POSITION.

AIDAN MCLOUGHLIN FROM SWINFORD WAS APPOINTED THE NEW PRO TAKING OVER FROM KEVIN O'TOOLE WHO ALSO STEPPED DOWN DUE TO THE FIVE YEAR RULE.

ONE OTHER INTERESTING POINT TO NOTE WAS THE FACT THAT THE MOTION TO INCLUDE WEST MAYO IN NEXT YEAR'S MAYO SENIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP WAS DEFEATED DESPITE THE FACT THAT THEY COMPETED THERE THIS YEAR.

Tubberman

QuoteLooks like West Mayo won't be competing in the championship next year...
ONE OTHER INTERESTING POINT TO NOTE WAS THE FACT THAT THE MOTION TO INCLUDE WEST MAYO IN NEXT YEAR'S MAYO SENIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP WAS DEFEATED DESPITE THE FACT THAT THEY COMPETED THERE THIS YEAR.

What's the rationale behind that decision? They did quite well for their first attempt. Did they do too well for some other senior clubs liking?
Or did the junior clubs involved feel it impacted on them too much?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

RedandGreenSniper

The West Mayo Junior clubs - just Balla, Islandeady and Louisburgh now that Parke are gone up - were still in favour of it. Pity its not gone through again because it did work. I think self-interest in clubs came to the fore after what Garrymore highlighted last year with regard to the relegation from the group West Mayo were in.

Tubberman

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=139817

Ballintubber GAA club to feature on TG4 Christmas Special
17 December 2010
Mayo GAA club's extraordinary year to feature on TG4 Christmas special

The pride and passion of the Ballintubber GAA club in winning their first ever Mayo Senior Football Title in 2010 is to feature in a special insightful documentary on TG4 this Christmas. 'Baile an Tobair - Bliain an Bhua' relives the amazing journey of the Ballintubber senior football team from the desolate ranks of junior football a few years back to the exalted highs of Mayo senior football champions in 2010.

This intriguing story unfolds as the club in the shadow of Ballintubber Abbey celebrates its centenary also this year, having being founded in 1910. 'Baile an Tobair - Bliain an Bhua' echoes and mirrors the life of every GAA club in the country with success and failure, heartbreak and jubilation, pain and passion all interwoven into one.

"This small rural close-knit community encountered tragedy and triumph in equal measures over the years but yet the bond that kept them going was community spirit and sport, "stated the programme producer Piaras Ó Raghallaigh from Maigh Eo Media.

"Baile an Tobair - Bliain an Bhua' is about people, passion and the wonderful pride and loyalty they have for their club and community. There is joy and sadness in this programme, there is celebration and camaraderie and there is a great sense of achievement also throughout," he said.

'Baile an Tobair - Bliain an Bhua' features discerning interviews with newly appointed Mayo senior football team manager James Horan, club star Cillian Ó Connor and club members Michael Duffy, Tony O'Connor, Art Ó Suilleabháin and Nora Conroy.
The programme also features archive footage of Ballintubber native Paddy Prendergast playing for Mayo in the early fifties when he won two All-Ireland senior football medals with his county in Croke Park.
Mayo GAA secretary Sean Feeney talks for the first time in 'Baile an Tobair - Bliain an Bhua' about the tragic drowning of his brother and club stalwart Ger Feeney during the year and how the club coped with his loss to go on to lift the Moclair Cup in his honor.

There is also great excitement captured in this programme as star players Cillian and Ruairí O'Connor bring the Championship cup to Ballintubber National School for the first time.

'Baile an Tobair - Bliain an Bhua' will be broadcast on TG4 on Wednesday, December 29th at 7.15pm.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

REDCOL

The Amalgamation of Carramore and Hollymount has been agreed. A big step for both clubs, best of luck to the new club and congrats on the big decision

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: REDCOL on December 17, 2010, 06:54:20 PM
The Amalgamation of Carramore and Hollymount has been agreed. A big step for both clubs, best of luck to the new club and congrats on the big decision

WOW! I knew there had been considerable talk about it but I understood some Carramore hardcores wouldn't allow it. A wise move for both clubs. Congrats to them. It was the only way for both to go, really.

EDIT: I hear it is far from agreed. Thought the Garrymore men would know the craic in that part of south Mayo?

Farrandeelin

Is the North Mayo Junior Cup final going ahead on Sunday between Knockmore and Ardnaree I wonder? Haven't seen it down on the Western People or hoganstand don't have it either.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Davitt Man

Any sign of the League fixtures??

Farrandeelin

Not yet... Only the Divisional Cup games are down for decision this weekend. I see we have the chance to get revenge over Ardnaree on Sunday. ::)

Farrandeelin

Where was Charlie Collins today? He was down to ref Knockmore's game v Ballina. Instead we had Liam Brady reffing it. Not good enough. I have no complaints about losing the game, but the proper ref should have been doing the job.

stephenite