Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Well said Abbeysider, great post. It was a poor spectacle of a match for the most part, but one where Ballintubber played to their strengths which is the logical thing to do. And the rewards are there for all to see  ;D

James Horan said afterwards that you work with the players you have, and you play to their strengths. So those who abhor the defensive style of Ballintubber (despite it's effectiveness) might not necessarily see that style with Mayo 2011.

PSTG - I hope you've either run out of steam with your rants, or have looked back at your posts and realised how you come across and are suitably embarrassed.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Tubberman on October 29, 2010, 12:34:01 PM
Well said Abbeysider, great post. It was a poor spectacle of a match for the most part, but one where Ballintubber played to their strengths which is the logical thing to do. And the rewards are there for all to see  ;D

James Horan said afterwards that you work with the players you have, and you play to their strengths. So those who abhor the defensive style of Ballintubber (despite it's effectiveness) might not necessarily see that style with Mayo 2011.

PSTG - I hope you've either run out of steam with your rants, or have looked back at your posts and realised how you come across and are suitably embarrassed.

Abbeysider and Tubberman, with all the nonsense from PTSG I neglected to congratulate the both of ye. A great day for the club and a much deserved win. Ye have been building towards it. Hope the hangovers have cleared?! Sure ye'll be on the lash again this weekend no doubt!

I know people have been saying James Horan only plays the talent he has and uses a horses for courses approach so they draw men behind the ball because they're not blessed with attacking talent. It almost implies that they won the title despite limitations in attack. That it was a victory for a system rather than talent/natural ability.

Two related points on this.

Firstly the Tubber have the best forward in the county in Alan Dillon. They have the best young forward in the county in Cillian O'Connor and then from their other three forwards (Nestor dropping back of course) you have two lads who starred for Mayo minors en route to All-Ireland finals (Gary Dillon in 1999 and Padraig O'Connor in 2005). The fifth then, Alan Plunkett, was arguably Ballintubber's Man of the Match on Sunday. Of their subs that came on in attack Damien Coleman was a Mayo minor in 2004 and Damien McGing is a very lively club footballer. I actually think the horses for courses talk is being a bit unfair on these players. I think Ballintubber have the players to play an orthodox front six.

Which brings me onto the second point. Is it more so because James Horan prefers a defensive style of play, period? Or maybe he is trying to offer extra protection to what he might feel isn't a great defence? That's not what I'm thinking, merely I'm trying to guess what his rationale is. He is on record as saying Michael Nestor drops back to free up space for a two man full-forward line but I think he was being clever here. If you want to create room inside, the extra man tends to be in the half forward line or at midfield. Because the answer will have much to do with how Mayo line out. Personally I would be in favour of seven defenders because, unless there are discoveries made, we are deficient in the full-back line and, b, because we might not have the attacking talent for six forwards of inter-county standard either.
With Ballintubber, and indeed with any team, James might feel it is easier to control a game when you have seven defenders and five good, intelligent forwards whose movement can create space and opportunities that might not be there with six forwards. Maybe. Maybe not. I'd be interested to listen to what the Tubber lads have to say about this.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 29, 2010, 03:03:55 PM
Abbeysider and Tubberman, with all the nonsense from PTSG I neglected to congratulate the both of ye. A great day for the club and a much deserved win. Ye have been building towards it. Hope the hangovers have cleared?! Sure ye'll be on the lash again this weekend no doubt!

I know people have been saying James Horan only plays the talent he has and uses a horses for courses approach so they draw men behind the ball because they're not blessed with attacking talent. It almost implies that they won the title despite limitations in attack. That it was a victory for a system rather than talent/natural ability.

Two related points on this.

Firstly the Tubber have the best forward in the county in Alan Dillon. They have the best young forward in the county in Cillian O'Connor and then from their other three forwards (Nestor dropping back of course) you have two lads who starred for Mayo minors en route to All-Ireland finals (Gary Dillon in 1999 and Padraig O'Connor in 2005). The fifth then, Alan Plunkett, was arguably Ballintubber's Man of the Match on Sunday. Of their subs that came on in attack Damien Coleman was a Mayo minor in 2004 and Damien McGing is a very lively club footballer. I actually think the horses for courses talk is being a bit unfair on these players. I think Ballintubber have the players to play an orthodox front six.

Which brings me onto the second point. Is it more so because James Horan prefers a defensive style of play, period? Or maybe he is trying to offer extra protection to what he might feel isn't a great defence? That's not what I'm thinking, merely I'm trying to guess what his rationale is. He is on record as saying Michael Nestor drops back to free up space for a two man full-forward line but I think he was being clever here. If you want to create room inside, the extra man tends to be in the half forward line or at midfield. Because the answer will have much to do with how Mayo line out. Personally I would be in favour of seven defenders because, unless there are discoveries made, we are deficient in the full-back line and, b, because we might not have the attacking talent for six forwards of inter-county standard either.
With Ballintubber, and indeed with any team, James might feel it is easier to control a game when you have seven defenders and five good, intelligent forwards whose movement can create space and opportunities that might not be there with six forwards. Maybe. Maybe not. I'd be interested to listen to what the Tubber lads have to say about this.

Thanks R&GS, id be hoping that we can knuckle down and focus on the Killererin game so hopefully it wont be too crazy a weekend.  ;)

You make a few relevant points and raise some fair questions.

The way I see it is that using a sweeper in the fullback line wont work against every team. Its much less about the forwards than it is about the defence. Your right that we have exceptional talent in the club, all over the pitch, but scoring averages were sometimes low and when you go out against teams with big averages, you have to compensate.

I think a sweeper approach may not work against the Knockmores, Charlestowns and other teams who have a decent ball carrying and running game and score and pick shots from distance. However against the likes of Shrule and Castlebar and teams who depend on inside forwards and kick into them, a sweeper playing deep simply cuts out their attack and often, as proven they have no plan B.

In other games a sweeper could play a less deepened role, around the half back line, midfield or wherever teams think they can get their scores. But as you said, sometimes your go for a 15 v 15 orthodox approach. In any case you need the player discipline to follow any approach that is decided on.

About Horan being defensive minded, I had to smile to myself when I read that. If there was a lunatic out there for devising attacking games he is your man. He would attack from the dressing room door or from the top of the stand if he could! :D All out attack and caution to the wind stuff would be the way I would see him liking teams to counter attack and break up the pitch IMO.

RedandGreenSniper

Fair play Abbeysider, a very good and considered reply without giving away the third secret of Fatima either ;)

Time will tell I guess regarding how James lines Mayo out. As I said I would like to see us with some form of defensive protection. As I said we don't have too much talent in our full-back line and having a covering player would give guys like Keith Higgins, Donie Vaughan and Kevin McLoughlin much more license to attack from deep.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 30, 2010, 07:14:29 PM
Fair play Abbeysider, a very good and considered reply without giving away the third secret of Fatima either ;)

Time will tell I guess regarding how James lines Mayo out. As I said I would like to see us with some form of defensive protection. As I said we don't have too much talent in our full-back line and having a covering player would give guys like Keith Higgins, Donie Vaughan and Kevin McLoughlin much more license to attack from deep.

will you piss off pm;ing your nonsense to me.

RedandGreenSniper

Good win for Parke today, think they're playing the Connacht final next Sunday in McHale Park.

muppet

Twitter saying that the League Final replay finished Mitchels 1-9 Stephenites 0-1.

Is that correct? Did Stephenites score only 0-1!
MWWSI 2017

AbbeySider

Quote from: muppet on October 31, 2010, 10:23:02 PM
Twitter saying that the League Final replay finished Mitchels 1-9 Stephenites 0-1.

Who are you following on Twitter to get that update?

muppet

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 01, 2010, 03:53:23 PM

'mayosports'

Where is Stephenite? He deserves some slagging for that scoreline (assuming it is correct).
MWWSI 2017

highking

Quote from: muppet on November 01, 2010, 10:20:33 PM

'mayosports'

Where is Stephenite? He deserves some slagging for that scoreline (assuming it is correct).

Lads, this is the Michael Walsh Cup Secondary League final. Ballina did well to even field a team in this thing, considering that they have been out of the championship for over two months....

muppet

Quote from: highking on November 01, 2010, 11:56:41 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 01, 2010, 10:20:33 PM

'mayosports'

Lads, this is the Michael Walsh Cup Secondary League final. Ballina did well to even field a team in this thing, considering that they have been out of the championship for over two months....

Fair enough, but he still deserves a slagging.
MWWSI 2017

REDCOL

Stephenite 11 of your u-16s played against Ballintubber in the County QF and 9 of them started ye have a grand underage policy in Ballina  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: REDCOL on November 02, 2010, 05:49:42 PM
Stephenite 11 of your u-16s played against Ballintubber in the County QF and 9 of them started ye have a grand underage policy in Ballina  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

:D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ballinaman

Quote from: REDCOL on November 02, 2010, 05:49:42 PM

Jaysus, you're fierce smiley for a garymore man.... :P

boosabum

Congrats to former Garrymore GAA  stalwarth Ciaran kelly for his display in yesterdays FAI cup final penalty shootout.

REDCOL may now more, but i think he made his reputation as a soccer keeper by saving a few penalties for ballinrobe many moons ago.

Anyway congrats to him.