Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chimley

Fair enough but the standard of football for the county final was very poor.

ross4life

Quote from: muppet on October 24, 2010, 06:58:17 PM
Quote from: Chimley on October 24, 2010, 06:39:49 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 24, 2010, 06:33:37 PM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on October 24, 2010, 05:08:51 PM
Worrying times. Is this the cream of Mayo football? if it is then its back to the dark days of the 70's again.

Why would you think two clubs who have, between them, one appearance in the County Final in 2 decades would be the cream of Mayo football?

a lot of underage titles have gone their way in the last few years and they didn't get byes to the final so we have to assume that this is as good as we have at the moment.

Of the two teams only Alan Dillion would be guaranteed a start for Mayo.

Which team has the most Mayo players & who did they lose to? Ballintubber's play reminded me of Castlerea (blanket defence tactics)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on October 24, 2010, 07:17:07 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 24, 2010, 06:58:17 PM
Quote from: Chimley on October 24, 2010, 06:39:49 PM
Worrying times. Is this the cream of Mayo football? if it is then its back to the dark days of the 70's again.

Why would you think two clubs who have, between them, one appearance in the County Final in 2 decades would be the cream of Mayo football?

a lot of underage titles have gone their way in the last few years and they didn't get byes to the final so we have to assume that this is as good as we have at the moment.

Of the two teams only Alan Dillion would be guaranteed a start for Mayo.

Which team has the most Mayo players & who did they lose to? Ballintubber's play reminded me of Castlerea (blanket defence tactics)

Over half the team: Shrule 2 starters - Ballina 3 starters - Knockmore possibly 3 startes when all fit
MWWSI 2017

Pangurban

That was a diabollically poor County Final lads. A team of 14yr olds could shoot better, ride those tame tackles and deliver more accurate 10 yd passes. I am not being snide or having a go,  just genuinely concerned about the rapid decline in standards  of  Mayo Football. Never renowned for your bottle, at least you have a bit of skill

stephenite

Congrats to the Ballina Stephenites Minor football team on a great season, league and championship double

moysider

The minor final was recorded Stephenite, with commentary by Swannee O Hora. You ll be able to get a copy sent over. Worth a look.

stephenite

Quote from: moysider on October 24, 2010, 11:08:58 PM
The minor final was recorded Stephenite, with commentary by Swannee O Hora. You ll be able to get a copy sent over. Worth a look.

Great stuff - thanks for the heads up

stephenite

Forgot to add - congrats to Ballintubber on their first title, hopefully the lads from here are enjoying their historic pints :P

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on October 25, 2010, 01:59:29 PM

What you said made absolutely no sense to me. What does it matter about the past? these are the two best teams in the county as shown by the championship yet a Junior B game would of had as much skill. This inst the first time fish heads have embarrassed Mayo on the national stage and I doubt it will be the last either.

A yes the Covies, the powerhouse of Mayo G.A.A.  ::)

Mayo Senior Football County Titles

Castlebar Mitchels 27
(1888, 1903, 1930, 1931, 1932, 1934, 1941, 1942, 1944, 1945, 1946, 1948, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1956, 1959, 1962, 1963, 1969, 1970, 1978, 1986, 1988, 1993)

Westport 0
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on October 25, 2010, 05:00:38 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 25, 2010, 04:32:28 PM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on October 25, 2010, 01:59:29 PM

What you said made absolutely no sense to me. What does it matter about the past? these are the two best teams in the county as shown by the championship yet a Junior B game would of had as much skill. This inst the first time fish heads have embarrassed Mayo on the national stage and I doubt it will be the last either.

A yes the Covies, the powerhouse of Mayo G.A.A.  ::)

Mayo Senior Football County Titles

Castlebar Mitchels 27
(1888, 1903, 1930, 1931, 1932, 1934, 1941, 1942, 1944, 1945, 1946, 1948, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1956, 1959, 1962, 1963, 1969, 1970, 1978, 1986, 1988, 1993)

Westport 0

At least your using football stats and nor criticise me for a reference that i didn't even make.

No worries PSTG

Connacht Senior Club Championships

Castlebar Mitchels 1

Westport 0

;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ludermor

GAELIC GAMES: THE NETWORK of sub-committees appointed to conduct a comprehensive review of Mayo GAA will present their recommendations to the county board by next January.

Journalist and broadcaster Liam Horan, chair of the Mayo GAA Strategic Action Plan Steering Group, says the idea is to address general governance within the association in the county as well as to address disappointment on the playing field.

"The impetus comes from the national Strategic Action Plan, under which all counties are obliged to make proposals but also from a feeling after the championship defeat by Longford that a root-and-branch reform of the GAA in the county was needed."

He is anxious to dispel any notion that the initiatives are just another example of All-Ireland mania in the county.

"This isn't focused on winning an All-Ireland. We could win one and still have a lot of flaws within the system but we believe that if we set out to improve things across the board in the county then everything will benefit.

"Mayo has come through a very unusual 15 years. Reaching four All-Ireland finals means that we've been doing a lot right but equally we can do better. Back in the mid-1990s we could have been compared with Tyrone, coming up just short in a couple of championships and both having a vocational schools' power base.

"But quite clearly since then, they have moved on and not just on the playing field but in their approach to all GAA activities in the county. The purpose of this exercise is to identify what's working and what new developments are needed."

Among the issues to be addressed by the 10 sub-committees are: urbanisation, developing high-performance players and harnessing the support of Mayo people worldwide.

The Finance and Funding sub-committee will be based in Dublin and includes former county player PJ Monaghan, managing director of Leading Edge Project Directors, and features well-known names such as Mary Davis, CEO of the 2003 Special Olympics whose brother, Eugene Rooney, played for Mayo, Tom Mitchell, former provost of Trinity College, Dublin, former All Star Kevin O'Neill, and accountant Frank Walsh, brother of pop impresario Louis.

"Everyone involved in all of the sub-committees is committed to taking a fresh look at the way we do things and making recommendations," says Horan. "The county board will decide to accept or reject and then organise implementation. It's an open process and everyone who feels they have something to contribute is encouraged to visit the website, www.mayogaa.com, and make their own submissions on any of the issues under consideration."

spuds

Lads, I'd suggest to you to just delete those series of posts.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 26, 2010, 01:23:57 PM
PTSG you are a disgrace to the name you use as your handle. To call Castlebar a disgrace given all that has happened is the lowest of the low. You know well that those lads could not be right and to do what you have done says all we need to know about you. With a bit of luck you'll f**k off away from here because you are, as Muppet rightly says, beneath contempt.

You can go and f**k off if you think i'm leaving. You along with your sc**bag colleague who uses such things to have a dig at some one else.

muppet

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on October 26, 2010, 04:10:31 PM
PTSG you are a disgrace to the name you use as your handle. To call Castlebar a disgrace given all that has happened is the lowest of the low. You know well that those lads could not be right and to do what you have done says all we need to know about you. With a bit of luck you'll f**k off away from here because you are, as Muppet rightly says, beneath contempt.

You can go and f**k off if you think i'm leaving. You along with your sc**bag colleague who uses such things to have a dig at some one else.

Brave man anonymously sticking the boot into a club in mourning. You are a real class act.
MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

Quote from: muppet on October 26, 2010, 05:08:14 PM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on October 26, 2010, 04:10:31 PM

Brave man anonymously sticking the boot into a club in mourning. You are a real class act.

some real nasty comments written since the club final . jesus some one would want to get a grip and realise that its only a game of football  . 2 lads had only buried their father barely 10 days before how they played i'll never know, and then some anoymous poster as muppett says  goes on about the state of mayo football ffs cop on there is more to life than gaa
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001