Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 27, 2010, 07:22:25 PM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 27, 2010, 07:16:57 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 06:07:57 PM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 27, 2010, 05:55:44 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 05:19:40 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on September 27, 2010, 02:06:44 PM
Quote from: GBXII on September 27, 2010, 12:22:01 PM
Is that you Cillian??!!

I thought Castlebar were always the better team against K'more and should have had the game wraped up much earlier than they did. Lydon and Barry Moran had two great goal chances from which Castlebar only got a one point return. The final should be a cracker! West Mayo is where it's at now :)

I like those sentiments, it looks like all West Mayo Senior, Intermediate, and Junior Finalists which is fantastic.

Ballintubber Vs Castlebar Mitchells
Tourmakeady Vs Burrishoole
Islandeady Vs Parke

When was the last time that happened?

Isn't that a pretty picture. How many ex-Geralds/Geralds lads on those teams?

The Islandeady,Parke, Ballintubber and Castlebar teams would be backboned by Davitt College and St Geralds. Dont forget that for many years St Gerlads were the poor relation in Castlebar for Football. Its fair to say that has been reversed.

For the guts of 20 years now.

From 1995 to around 2004 Davitt College were on top.

Not quite true. Gerald's won Connacht Senior Schools titles in 1996 and 1997. Both schools very tight during the mid 90s until about 2000, when Davitt were last in an All-Ireland Voc Senior final. Since then virtually all the decent footballers have been going to Gerald's. Davitt College seem to have got a good intake this year though.

Geralds got to the All-Ireland Final in 1997, they beat St.Pats of Navan in the Semi-Final and played St.Pats of Dungannon in the All-Ireland Final in Croke Park.
I'm sorry PSTG, but I think the level Geralds where playing at was much higher. They played the likes of the famous St.Jarlaths of Tuam & St.Pats of Tuam, St.Colmans of Claremorris etc. to win Connacht.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 08:04:00 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 27, 2010, 07:22:25 PM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 27, 2010, 07:16:57 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 06:07:57 PM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 27, 2010, 05:55:44 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 05:19:40 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on September 27, 2010, 02:06:44 PM
Quote from: GBXII on September 27, 2010, 12:22:01 PM
Is that you Cillian??!!

I thought Castlebar were always the better team against K'more and should have had the game wraped up much earlier than they did. Lydon and Barry Moran had two great goal chances from which Castlebar only got a one point return. The final should be a cracker! West Mayo is where it's at now :)

I like those sentiments, it looks like all West Mayo Senior, Intermediate, and Junior Finalists which is fantastic.

Ballintubber Vs Castlebar Mitchells
Tourmakeady Vs Burrishoole
Islandeady Vs Parke

When was the last time that happened?

Isn't that a pretty picture. How many ex-Geralds/Geralds lads on those teams?

The Islandeady,Parke, Ballintubber and Castlebar teams would be backboned by Davitt College and St Geralds. Dont forget that for many years St Gerlads were the poor relation in Castlebar for Football. Its fair to say that has been reversed.

For the guts of 20 years now.

From 1995 to around 2004 Davitt College were on top.

Not quite true. Gerald's won Connacht Senior Schools titles in 1996 and 1997. Both schools very tight during the mid 90s until about 2000, when Davitt were last in an All-Ireland Voc Senior final. Since then virtually all the decent footballers have been going to Gerald's. Davitt College seem to have got a good intake this year though.

Geralds got to the All-Ireland Final in 1997, they beat St.Pats of Navan in the Semi-Final and played St.Pats of Dungannon in the All-Ireland Final in Croke Park.
I'm sorry PSTG, but I think the level Geralds where playing at was much higher. They played the likes of the famous St.Jarlaths of Tuam & St.Pats of Tuam, St.Colmans of Claremorris etc. to win Connacht.

I thinks its fair to say the success of West Mayo in this years championship is some part down to both schools. Players from Parke, Islandeady, Ballintubber and Castlebar they would have went to either St Geralds or Davitt College. Mayos best player Alan Dillon being the most famous of the davitt college alumni. In the late 90's Vocational school football was very strong on par with the college football imo.

Davitt College often beat St Geralds, St Colmans St Muredachs in challenge matches in this period also. I know they are only challenge matches.

saffronandblue

The Davitt College team were in the top 2-3 teams in the country at that time and were someway ahead of the other schools in the area. Only a Declan O' Sullivan inspired Colaiste na Sceilge team deprived them of an All Ireland by 1 point in a replay and they went on to be one of the dominant forces at Colleges schools levels ever since.

Players like the Dillons,P Coady, M. Conroy, the Feeneys, O' Connors have come through the school, but like every other school there are only a very small number of teachers involved.  In Mayo we need our College teams to be going well and it is no coincidence that the best Mayo Minor teams have coincided with the College teams going well.......the chicken and egg debate.

Looking forward to seeing young Walshe from last years St. Muredachs team getting a decent run within some level of the Mayo County set up.  Watched him a few times last year and thought he would make a great defender in the Peter Butler mould.  The Mayo schools do very well in general considering the bulk of the lads don't do transition year and are sitting their Leaving Cert at 16-17 years of age.  Up the north they have auld men playing in Colleges football ;D ;D

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Is Jarleths still taking boarders? I know Nathys stopped a long time back? Jarleths used to be a big spot for Mayo lads a long way back and didn't the Mortiomers go to St.Marys, Galway.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

spuds

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 28, 2010, 04:19:08 AM
Is Jarleths still taking boarders? I know Nathys stopped a long time back? Jarleths used to be a big spot for Mayo lads a long way back and didn't the Mortiomers go to St.Marys, Galway.

Jarleth's have streamed out the last of the boarders now I believe, Kenneth and Trevor went to St Jarleths. Conor went to school in Ballinrobe.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Tubberman

Quote from: spuds on September 28, 2010, 09:57:46 AM

Jarleth's have streamed out the last of the boarders now I believe, Kenneth and Trevor went to St Jarleths. Conor went to school in Ballinrobe.

Trevor went to St Mary's, but left after a few years after a 'disciplinary incident'  ;). So that must be when he went to Jarlaths
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

southsider

conor didn't go to school in ballinrobe. st. marys as far as i know. ballinrobe cs had a good team as well around the time of alan dillon's davitts team. they won an all ireland b title with grimes, keanes, maloneys to the fore. they always had good battles with the davitts teams. davitts have alot to thank tommy o malley for - kept gaa going in the school and along with forde has recently resurrected castlebar as a force. did also very well with ballinrobe in his time there.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: southsider on September 28, 2010, 11:12:12 AM

conor didn't go to school in ballinrobe. st. marys as far as i know. ballinrobe cs had a good team as well around the time of alan dillon's davitts team. they won an all ireland b title with grimes, keanes, maloneys to the fore. they always had good battles with the davitts teams. davitts have alot to thank tommy o malley for - kept gaa going in the school and along with forde has recently resurrected castlebar as a force. did also very well with ballinrobe in his time there.

Tommy O'Malley had little or no involvment in the teams in Davitt College. Ex Mayo ladies manager Charlie Lambert was the driving force behind the succesful Davitt College teams.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 28, 2010, 12:39:46 PM
Quote from: southsider on September 28, 2010, 11:12:12 AM

Tommy O'Malley had little or no involvment in the teams in Davitt College. Ex Mayo ladies manager Charlie Lambert was the driving force behind the succesful Davitt College teams.

Charlie managed them. I wouldn't call him the driving force though.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

westmayo

QuoteCharlie managed them. I wouldn't call him the driving force though.

A lucky manager rather than a great one, would you say R & G,

Castlebar was lucky at the time to have two schools achieving a lot in around the same time in the mid to back end of the 90s. But I think I'd be right that when Geralds were making the way to Hogan cup final in 97, the Davitt College team would have been in the vocational schools u16 finals, so when both sides were at the top they wouldn't have really got to grips with each other.  We're the vocational schools even in the Flanagan Cup at that stage?

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: westmayo on September 28, 2010, 02:01:30 PM
QuoteCharlie managed them. I wouldn't call him the driving force though.

A lucky manager rather than a great one, would you say R & G,

Castlebar was lucky at the time to have two schools achieving a lot in around the same time in the mid to back end of the 90s. But I think I'd be right that when Geralds were making the way to Hogan cup final in 97, the Davitt College team would have been in the vocational schools u16 finals, so when both sides were at the top they wouldn't have really got to grips with each other.  We're the vocational schools even in the Flanagan Cup at that stage?

Yeah the Flanagan Cup was the only real chance where the schools could clash in the late 90s, aside from challenge games. Davitt College would have been in an All-Ireland U-16 final in 96, a Senior semi-final in 97, senior final in 98 (lost after a replay to a Peter Canavan managed and Eoin Mulligan inspired Cookstown) and senior final in 00 (losing to a Jack O'Connor managed and Dec O'Sullivan inspired Cahirciveen). Should have won both the 96 U16 final and the 00 Senior final. Could have sneaked the 98 final but best team won there.
But in a general sense there was some amount of talent in both schools at the one time. Gerald's had got much weaker by 2000 though, only turning it back around 02, when they won the Senior B All-Ireland and they've been the stronger school since.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Farrandeelin

Full round of League fixtures at the weekend. I see Knockmore and Shrule is down for 12.00 (in Shrule) on Sunday. Not sure if all Division 1A games are at that early hour or not.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

StoneWall

Junior Final
October 10th
Islandeady v Parke

Intermediate Final
October 17th Sun            
Burrishoole v Tourmakeady

Senior Final
October 24th
Ballintubber v Castlebar

Farrandeelin

Went to Shrule today for 2.30, arrived a few minutes late. There was nobody there!! I didn't know there were 2 pitches there. I feel a right fool now. :-[ :-X
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 03, 2010, 04:16:49 PM
Went to Shrule today for 2.30, arrived a few minutes late. There was nobody there!! I didn't know there were 2 pitches there. I feel a right fool now. :-[ :-X

You don't have to keep standing there. Go back to the car and look for the other pitch.
MWWSI 2017