Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

And that's that then.

Castlebar 1-10 Knockmore 0-11
Ballintubber 1-8 Shrule-Glencorrib 0-6

Castlebar got a goal and a point early on coupled with Declan sweeney's injury in that he collided with Canavan. Knockmore huffed and puffed but could never blow the Castlebar house down, Castlebar's backs were way better than our forwards in the first half and the second half, if our forwards took their points instead of going for goals it could have been different as we had levelled on two occasions.

I left straight after the game so can't comment on the Ballintubber/Shrule game but they (Ballintubber) scored only one point in the second half, but used a sweeper role to perfection in the first it seems according to the radio.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Ballintubber had an 8 point lead at half time - they played some great stuff, and were all over Shrule/Glencorrib.
The second half was a poorer performance, but Shrule crowded the defence which made it very difficult for Ballintubber to create scoring chances. Shrule won the second half 4 points to 1, but never really looked like they could win it.

It will be some craic around Castlebar and Ballintubber in the build up to the final!
Ballyheane has been designated the DMZ  ;)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 25, 2010, 08:53:55 PM
From mayogaa.ie
IFC Semi-finals
Tourmakeady 0-9 Belmullet 0-8.
Burrishoole 0-12 Kiltimagh 1-8

SFC Relegation Play-off
Kiltane 1-11 Moy Davitts 1-10. Moy Davitts intermediate next year.

IFC Relegation Play-off
Kilmeena 1-13 Crossmolina Deel Rovers 'B' 1-9. Will Cross have 2 Junior teams next year???

JFC Semi final
Islandeady 1-14 Louisburgh 2-9.

Tourmakeady player seriously injured during the game. The Belmullet physio and one of the Tourmakeady players averted a tragedy (the player swallowed his tongue), no doctor, ambulance available. Surley the players in this day and age deserve better than this. Well done to the T'mak boys for coming through in the end.

saffronandblue

Well done to Castlebar and Ballintubber on reaching the county final.  A few standout performance for me were Douglas, Kirby, Howley, Mcloughlin, Ruairi O Connor, Jason Gibbons and Cillian O'Connor for the few times he was passed the ball.

Of them all......Mayos future will be in the hands of one Cillian O'Connor.  Does the right thing 99% of the time.  I only stayed for the second game to watch him in action and he was starved of the ball.

Knockmore thew away the game before it even started.  Not having Mchale on Moran was a disaster, as was the selection of Clarke at Full forward.  Howley was wasted marking young Walshe who was never at the races while Douglas ran riot.  Easy to say in hindsight now of course but it was easy to see at the game as well.  Why Knockmore can not select a team of fifteen players and put them out in the best position is beyond me.....far too much chopping and changing.  O'Neill's brief appearance showed what Knockmore was missing BIG time. 

Would like to see Ballintubber win the final if only too see Cillian O'Connor get the chance to shine in the Connaught championship.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on September 26, 2010, 08:27:54 PM
From mayogaa.ie
IFC Semi-finals

SFC Relegation Play-off

IFC Relegation Play-off
Kilmeena 1-13 Crossmolina Deel Rovers 'B' 1-9. Will Cross have 2 Junior teams next year???

JFC Semi final

Tourmakeady player seriously injured during the game. The Belmullet physio and one of the Tourmakeady players averted a tragedy (the player swallowed his tongue), no doctor, ambulance available. Surley the players in this day and age deserve better than this. Well done to the T'mak boys for coming through in the end.

Are you suggesting there should be a doctor/ambulance at every game? Because that isn't feasible. So where do you draw the line? An incident like that was as likely in a Junior B Round 1 game as an Intermediate semi-final.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 27, 2010, 12:17:50 AM
From mayogaa.ie
IFC Semi-finals

SFC Relegation Play-off

IFC Relegation Play-off

JFC Semi final

Are you suggesting there should be a doctor/ambulance at every game? Because that isn't feasible. So where do you draw the line? An incident like that was as likely in a Junior B Round 1 game as an Intermediate semi-final.

I really hate stupid whataboutery like this. One stage before the showpiece of the entire County's organisation is not 'every game' nor is it a Junior B round 1 game. If it cannot be done right at the County semi-finals then we should hold our hands up and admit it cannot be done right at all. Let someone else be responsible for the players because the association clearly isn't up to it.

MWWSI 2017

StoneWall

Quote from: StoneWall on June 10, 2010, 02:01:05 PM
Outright odds from Paddy Power...
http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-football/mayo-senior-football-championship

Knockmore  3/1
Crossmolina  3/1
Charlestown  7/2
Shrule Glencorrib  6/1
Castlebar  15/2
Ballaghaderreen  8/1
Ballina  10/1
Ballintubber  14/1
Ballinrobe  20/1
Claremorris  22/1
Westport  28/1
Breaffy  33/1
Moy Davitts  40/1
Garrymore  50/1
Kiltane  50/1
Aghamore  66/1
West Mayo  100/1

Ballina and Ballintubber look best value if you could get each way

Wish I had gone with my instincts now on Ballintubber at 14/1!

GBXII

Quote from: saffronandblue on September 26, 2010, 09:48:56 PM
Well done to Castlebar and Ballintubber on reaching the county final.  A few standout performance for me were Douglas, Kirby, Howley, Mcloughlin, Ruairi O Connor, Jason Gibbons and Cillian O'Connor for the few times he was passed the ball.

Of them all......Mayos future will be in the hands of one Cillian O'Connor.  Does the right thing 99% of the time.  I only stayed for the second game to watch him in action and he was starved of the ball.

Knockmore thew away the game before it even started.  Not having Mchale on Moran was a disaster, as was the selection of Clarke at Full forward.  Howley was wasted marking young Walshe who was never at the races while Douglas ran riot.  Easy to say in hindsight now of course but it was easy to see at the game as well.  Why Knockmore can not select a team of fifteen players and put them out in the best position is beyond me.....far too much chopping and changing.  O'Neill's brief appearance showed what Knockmore was missing BIG time. 

Would like to see Ballintubber win the final if only too see Cillian O'Connor get the chance to shine in the Connaught championship.

Is that you Cillian??!!

I thought Castlebar were always the better team against K'more and should have had the game wraped up much earlier than they did. Lydon and Barry Moran had two great goal chances from which Castlebar only got a one point return. The final should be a cracker! West Mayo is where it's at now :) 

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on September 27, 2010, 06:49:13 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 27, 2010, 12:17:50 AM
From mayogaa.ie
IFC Semi-finals

SFC Relegation Play-off

IFC Relegation Play-off

JFC Semi final

I really hate stupid whataboutery like this. One stage before the showpiece of the entire County's organisation is not 'every game' nor is it a Junior B round 1 game. If it cannot be done right at the County semi-finals then we should hold our hands up and admit it cannot be done right at all. Let someone else be responsible for the players because the association clearly isn't up to it.

What are you on about? It is a very simple point - where do you draw the line? I was at a game in Achill where a guy broke his leg and had to wait 90 minutes for an ambulance. Should there have been one there? Ideally. But clubs can't afford that for every single game.

AbbeySider

Quote from: GBXII on September 27, 2010, 12:22:01 PM
Is that you Cillian??!!

I thought Castlebar were always the better team against K'more and should have had the game wraped up much earlier than they did. Lydon and Barry Moran had two great goal chances from which Castlebar only got a one point return. The final should be a cracker! West Mayo is where it's at now :)

I like those sentiments, it looks like all West Mayo Senior, Intermediate, and Junior Finalists which is fantastic.

Ballintubber Vs Castlebar Mitchells
Tourmakeady Vs Burrishoole
Islandeady Vs Parke

When was the last time that happened?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 27, 2010, 02:06:44 PM
Is that you Cillian??!!

I like those sentiments, it looks like all West Mayo Senior, Intermediate, and Junior Finalists which is fantastic.

Islandeady Vs Parke

Isn't that a pretty picture. How many ex-Geralds/Geralds lads on those teams?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 05:19:40 PM
Is that you Cillian??!!

Islandeady Vs Parke

The Islandeady,Parke, Ballintubber and Castlebar teams would be backboned by Davitt College and St Geralds. Dont forget that for many years St Gerlads were the poor relation in Castlebar for Football. Its fair to say that has been reversed.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 27, 2010, 05:55:44 PM
Is that you Cillian??!!

Islandeady Vs Parke

The Islandeady,Parke, Ballintubber and Castlebar teams would be backboned by Davitt College and St Geralds. Dont forget that for many years St Gerlads were the poor relation in Castlebar for Football. Its fair to say that has been reversed.

For the guts of 20 years now.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 06:07:57 PM
Is that you Cillian??!!

Islandeady Vs Parke

From 1995 to around 2004 Davitt College were on top.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 27, 2010, 07:16:57 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 06:07:57 PM
Is that you Cillian??!!

Islandeady Vs Parke

From 1995 to around 2004 Davitt College were on top.

Not quite true. Gerald's won Connacht Senior Schools titles in 1996 and 1997. Both schools very tight during the mid 90s until about 2000, when Davitt were last in an All-Ireland Voc Senior final. Since then virtually all the decent footballers have been going to Gerald's. Davitt College seem to have got a good intake this year though.