moysider

Quote from: stephenite on July 06, 2010, 03:31:05 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 06, 2010, 03:22:01 AM
Quote from: stephenite on July 06, 2010, 01:43:41 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 06, 2010, 12:10:46 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 05, 2010, 11:53:36 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 05, 2010, 03:46:34 PM
Quote from: southsider on July 05, 2010, 11:56:11 AM
big game ahead again for ballina - will they beat ballinrobe. tough on ballinrobe, two good results to date and that still won't be good enough without beating the stephenites

A draw would do Ballinrobe.
And you farr :D

Jury still out on Ballina. Improved second half performance v Ballaghadereen into stiff wind after a shocking first half display. Maybe this display of guts - and in fairness a good bit of tactical nous - in the second half may start a bit of momentum. We ll see. Worryingly scores are hard to come by. Still I m sure a lot of teams would prefer if they didn't make it out of the group, because if they get interested they will improve in leaps and bounds. As they showed yesterday they 're thick enough to win against the head, which is very encouraging.

Sounds like a big improvement, in fairness to them. What sort of team lined out?

I read that Colm Leonard scored a goal 'key score of the first half'. Where was he playing? He must have played every position for Stephenites at this stage - maybe not wing forward?????

Apparently Brian Ruane scored the other goal so that suggest that maybe positions aren't meaning too much - suppose will have to wait for full match reports in the locals to find out who played where

Off the top of my head the Ballina team was Clarkey, Golden, Rousey, Eanna Casey,  McCarron, Caff, Thomas Doherty, McGar, Hartey, Ruane, Hughesy,O Mahoney,Mcgarry, Leonard, Gazza.

Young Healy and Ger Brady came on as subs as did Aidan Tighe for McCarron at ht when he was on a yellow. Ballina are 12/1 for a good reason. Away to Ballinarobe in a winner take all now and finding it difficult to score. Harte scored 3 points from play but nobody else looked like scoring at all. In 30 minutes with a gale we hardly got a shot off - eventually Harte finding the range. There was hardly even a wide. We got the goals the last day and just as well cause we were never going to get the points. Oh and Corduff came on as well. Might be the best option for ff from now on in.

southsider

you'd fancy their chances though with a month's preperation. how come liam brady isn't playing

moysider

Injured. Ye cant right them off alright.  If they could get something going in the forwards they could be in the shake up. They need Hughes and Mchale to get the form of 3/4 years ago.

southsider

ya your right there. felt sorry for my neighbouring club last weekend - ballinrobe. if ballagh had won - ballinrobe would be through and knockmore would have been sweating. they've had it hard for the last few years. they have a nice crop of honest players who'd love a quarter final spot for a change. i wish them all the best. if i were a betting man castlebar would be my punt overall

Farrandeelin

Knockmore don't deserve to be favourites. Kilcoyne hadn't his best day shooting wise. Everything he hit went wide. Too tight a game that's played by Knockmore.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

stephenite

Quote from: moysider on July 06, 2010, 02:13:34 PM
Quote from: stephenite on July 06, 2010, 03:31:05 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 06, 2010, 03:22:01 AM
Quote from: stephenite on July 06, 2010, 01:43:41 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 06, 2010, 12:10:46 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 05, 2010, 11:53:36 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 05, 2010, 03:46:34 PM
Quote from: southsider on July 05, 2010, 11:56:11 AM
big game ahead again for ballina - will they beat ballinrobe. tough on ballinrobe, two good results to date and that still won't be good enough without beating the stephenites

A draw would do Ballinrobe.
And you farr :D

Jury still out on Ballina. Improved second half performance v Ballaghadereen into stiff wind after a shocking first half display. Maybe this display of guts - and in fairness a good bit of tactical nous - in the second half may start a bit of momentum. We ll see. Worryingly scores are hard to come by. Still I m sure a lot of teams would prefer if they didn't make it out of the group, because if they get interested they will improve in leaps and bounds. As they showed yesterday they 're thick enough to win against the head, which is very encouraging.

Sounds like a big improvement, in fairness to them. What sort of team lined out?

I read that Colm Leonard scored a goal 'key score of the first half'. Where was he playing? He must have played every position for Stephenites at this stage - maybe not wing forward?????

Apparently Brian Ruane scored the other goal so that suggest that maybe positions aren't meaning too much - suppose will have to wait for full match reports in the locals to find out who played where

Off the top of my head the Ballina team was Clarkey, Golden, Rousey, Eanna Casey,  McCarron, Caff, Thomas Doherty, McGar, Hartey, Ruane, Hughesy,O Mahoney,Mcgarry, Leonard, Gazza.

Young Healy and Ger Brady came on as subs as did Aidan Tighe for McCarron at ht when he was on a yellow. Ballina are 12/1 for a good reason. Away to Ballinarobe in a winner take all now and finding it difficult to score. Harte scored 3 points from play but nobody else looked like scoring at all. In 30 minutes with a gale we hardly got a shot off - eventually Harte finding the range. There was hardly even a wide. We got the goals the last day and just as well cause we were never going to get the points. Oh and Corduff came on as well. Might be the best option for ff from now on in.

Thanks for that - Martin Wynne out injured I presume? Nice to see Corduff coming through, was waiting for his name to crop up the last number of years. Good enough side if they could get on a run, with a bit of confidence the points will come. IS the next game away?

ballinaman

saffronandblue

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 06, 2010, 04:39:46 PM
Knockmore don't deserve to be favourites. Kilcoyne hadn't his best day shooting wise. Everything he hit went wide. Too tight a game that's played by Knockmore.
I have to agree.  I never seen a team to play with such negative tactics.  Knockmore are terrified to attack.  Its 2 forwards and 13 backs/goal keeper.  I would not mind if they were playing a team with gifted forwards but Ballinrobe had nothing up front.  I was disgusted with the way that Knockmore were set up and how they played.  No point having forwards like Munnelly, O'Neill and Kilcoyne if we only play 2 forwards and one of them is an out and out full back :-[

The best player was O'Neill by some distance.  Vaughan for Ballinrobe was very good and their full back, Killeen was fairly handy.  Anyone know what age this lad is or if he ever got a run out with the county?

AbbeySider

Quote from: saffronandblue on July 07, 2010, 04:26:47 PM
I have to agree.  I never seen a team to play with such negative tactics.  Knockmore are terrified to attack.  Its 2 forwards and 13 backs/goal keeper.  I would not mind if they were playing a team with gifted forwards but Ballinrobe had nothing up front.  I was disgusted with the way that Knockmore were set up and how they played.  No point having forwards like Munnelly, O'Neill and Kilcoyne if we only play 2 forwards and one of them is an out and out full back :-[

The best player was O'Neill by some distance.  Vaughan for Ballinrobe was very good and their full back, Killeen was fairly handy.  Anyone know what age this lad is or if he ever got a run out with the county?

Knockmore are negative. When they do attack and get inside the 50, I have noticed that they seem to dive go down very easily and try to win frees for O Neil to put them over.  ;)

southsider

killeen has never played for the county at any age. he's round 27 as far as i know. Himself, keane and the wing back o malley who did a job on andy moran in the ballagh game are all regarded as good footballers locally and have been holding the ballinrobe backline together for ages. all 3 can hold their own against most forwards but as they've never got to the quarter's they have never been seen enough. not having the most productive forwards has been a draw back

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 07, 2010, 04:36:48 PM

Knockmore are negative. When they do attack and get inside the 50, I have noticed that they seem to dive go down very easily and try to win frees for O Neil to put them over.  ;)

I can see Abbeysider taking notes so, instructing the Ballintubber guys of the future to go down easily for O'Connor to convert frees! :P

moysider

I was wondering about that as well. Not that he didn't contribute against Ballina.

I know clubs have to cut their cloth to suit themselves and make use of their resources to their best advantage but there is a downside to all this. I remember a young Declan Sweeney being played full back at club ( to replace Seamus Durcan) when Mayo had him earmarked as a 14. Last weekend two lads that look good bets for county full back, soon enough, played midfield and fullforward for their clubs. Another lad that could be a county corner back very soon played midfield for his junior club. Cafferkey spends most of his time in the halfback line too. I know there is nothing can be done about it but we do end up with defenders at county level who only seem to play in those positions when they play for their county. Probably the same in every county but we seem to have a greater difficulty than most finding players comfortable at 2,3, and 4 especially. Possibly because they have so little competitive playing hours in their county positions.

As regards Knockmore and the way their playing. It may be due not being able to dominate midfield anymore without a lot of bodies there. And a lot of teams are going that way anyway. What successful counties do does filter down to the clubs.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 08, 2010, 06:59:53 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on July 07, 2010, 04:36:48 PM

I can see Abbeysider taking notes so, instructing the Ballintubber guys of the future to go down easily for O'Connor to convert frees! :P

You could be trying to coach that one for years and fail as our fellas are too thick headed and proud to even dream of going down too easily!  :D
Not like ye soft knockmore lads!   :P

Farrandeelin

County Under 21 A Football Championship Section 1 Tue 20 Jul at 8.00
Aghamore V Westport, Ref: Martin Murphy in Aghamore;

County Under 21 A Football Championship Section 2 Tue 20 Jul at 8.00
Swinford V Ballina Stephenites, Ref: Jerome Henry in Swinford;

County Under 21 A Football Championship Section 3 Tue 20 Jul at 8.00
Breaffy V St. Gerards, Ref: Ronan Gurren in Breaffy;

County Under 21 A Football Championship Section 4 Tue 20 Jul at 8.00
Ballintubber V Burrishoole, Ref: Michael Daly in Ballintubber;

County Under 21 B Football Championship Section 1 Tue 20 Jul at 8.00
Naomh Pádraig V Kiltimagh, Ref: Liam Devenney in Naomh Pádraig;
Achill V Garrymore, Ref: Michael Moran in Achill;

County Under 21 B Football Championship Section 2 Tue 20 Jul at 8.00
Moy Davitts V Louisburgh, Ref: Eamonn McAndrew in Moy Davitts;
Béal an Mhuirthead V Ballinrobe, Ref: Richard Cosgrove in Béal an Mhuirthead;

County Under 21 B Football Championship Section 3 Tue 20 Jul at 8.00
Shrule-Glencorrib V Charlestown, Ref: Martin Costello in Shrule-Glencorrib;
Kiltane V Davitts, Ref: Liam Higgins in Kiltane;

County Under 21 B Football Championship Section 4 Tue 20 Jul at 8.00
Ardnaree V Ballyhaunis, Ref: Kevin Corcoran in Ardnaree;

County Under 21 C Football Championship Section 1 Tue 20 Jul at 8.00
Cill Chomáin V Ardmoy, Ref: Charlie Collins in Cill Chomáin;

County Under 21 C Football Championship Section 2 Tue 20 Jul at 8.00
Kilmeena V Lahardane, Ref: Andrew Hawkshaw in Kilmeena;

County Under 21 C Football Championship Section 3 Tue 20 Jul at 8.00
Tuar Mhic Éadaigh V The Neale, Ref: Mel Kenny in Tuar Mhic Éadaigh;

County Under 21 C Football Championship Section 4 Tue 20 Jul at 8.00
Balla V Kilmovee, Ref: Martin Walsh in Balla;
Mayo Gaels V Eastern Gaels, Ref: Mark Tuffy in Mayo Gaels;

REDCOL

The  So Called "Battle of Breaffy" has resulted in one suspension as Aidan O Se got off last night. Was John Melvin exaggerating or did the CCCC chicken out. Any thoughts RGS