Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

i was told today that jimmy long is transfering to claregalway if he  is good luck to jimmy, he been a great servant to the club . one by one the auld boys are going  :(  i have a feeling that there won't be many starting this championship
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Farrandeelin

What's the story with ye're up and coming boys Deel Rover? Could ye be in for a hard few years like we experienced during the last decade?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

the Deel Rover

i'd say we are definately in for a few hard years Farrandeelin we have some good lads coming through but nothing like the numbers we got from the minor team in 1991/1992 which really made the backbone of our senior team team the past 15 years. all good things must come to an end (from our perpective of course ) but at least we made hay while the sun shined and can have no regrets , well nearly  no regrets it would have been good to have beaten nemo in 2003 as well . its funny still can't believe i'll not be seeing jimmy in a cross jersey again a sure sign that time is flying by  :(   
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

moysider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on February 01, 2010, 09:26:04 PM
i'd say we are definately in for a few hard years Farrandeelin we have some good lads coming through but nothing like the numbers we got from the minor team in 1991/1992 which really made the backbone of our senior team team the past 15 years. all good things must come to an end (from our perpective of course ) but at least we made hay while the sun shined and can have no regrets , well nearly  no regrets it would have been good to have beaten nemo in 2003 as well . its funny still can't believe i'll not be seeing jimmy in a cross jersey again a sure sign that time is flying by  :(

It s a sad day for football in the county. I hear he s retired from the county scene as well. Another leaves and all we can say is thanks for the memories. If we had a couple more like him we still would n't be waiting around.

Foreverhopeful

some hero, mayo's answer to ryan giggs. Himself and heaney are 2 of the best. Deserved more all stars thru the years

the Deel Rover

Quote from: moysider on February 01, 2010, 09:33:38 PM

It s a sad day for football in the county. I hear he s retired from the county scene as well. Another leaves and all we can say is thanks for the memories. If we had a couple more like him we still would n't be waiting around.

yup i'm feeling fairly sad at the moment moysider , i have a feeling that Mc D won't be aroung much longer (jimmy has probably made his mind up for him) joe keane as well so it would be a unusual experience seeing cross take to the field without those lads involved 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Farrandeelin

The draw for this year's championship is on Wednesday at 9 at McHale Park.

moysider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on February 01, 2010, 09:39:26 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 01, 2010, 09:33:38 PM

yup i'm feeling fairly sad at the moment moysider , i have a feeling that Mc D won't be aroung much longer (jimmy has probably made his mind up for him) joe keane as well so it would be a unusual experience seeing cross take to the field without those lads involved

I glad I made the effort to get to so many Cross games. In fairness they raised the bar in the county considerably and the best around now are n't within 10 points of Cross in their pomp. They brought out the best in Ballina as well.

stephenite

Quote from: moysider on February 01, 2010, 10:33:02 PM
I glad I made the effort to get to so many Cross games. In fairness they raised the bar in the county considerably and the best around now are n't within 10 points of Cross in their pomp. They brought out the best in Ballina as well.

And vice-versa, a player from that era accepted to me that the defeat in the County final of 1998 (and our subsequent charge to the AIF) hurt so much it was the making of them

moysider

Quote from: stephenite on February 01, 2010, 11:33:10 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 01, 2010, 10:33:02 PM

And vice-versa, a player from that era accepted to me that the defeat in the County final of 1998 (and our subsequent charge to the AIF) hurt so much it was the making of them

Ye need that. And of course both teams had been set a standard by Knockmore in 90s. I think we may have witnessed the/a golden age of Mayo football.The thing about Cross is that they aced in league after league as well. A bad day and your out of champ but their consistency was unbelievable overall.

Foreverhopeful

all north mayo teams.... spoiled with local derbies

stephenite

Their league form was very impressive indeed over the years also.

It was a golden age for Mayo football - McDonald, Nallen, Gardener, Dempsey, O'Neill, Brogan, Staunton, Butler, McHale, Brady, Harte, McGarrity were the standout household names but each club had their stalwarts that were probably more important to the clubs over their periods of dominance.

Joe Keane, Pat McAndrew, Tom Nallen, Liam Moffat.

Graeme O'Hora, Peter Cawley, Declan Dempsey, Fergus Sweeney.

Brian Ruane, Kenny Golden, Paul McGarry, Liam Brady, Eanna Casey.

A lot of the above would have seen sporadic senior Inter-county action but never quite made it come championship time.
I suppose it's very possible that 3 other clubs could step up to the plate and provide us with a similar array of talent, just before the rest of ye jump down our throats!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: stephenite on February 02, 2010, 01:51:36 AM

It was a golden age for Mayo football - McDonald, Nallen, Gardener, Dempsey, O'Neill, Brogan, Staunton, Butler, McHale, Brady, Harte, McGarrity were the standout household names but each club had their stalwarts that were probably more important to the clubs over their periods of dominance.

A lot of the above would have seen sporadic senior Inter-county action but never quite made it come championship time.
I suppose it's very possible that 3 other clubs could step up to the plate and provide us with a similar array of talent, just before the rest of ye jump down our throats!

True, but they won't be 3 local clubs like the Crossmolina, Ballina, Knockmore triangle was. I've only been following Mayo football since the mid nineties and I doubt there will be struggles between any teams from these clus like there were around the turn of the millenium. The 2 standout games for me were the semi-final in 2001 when we knocked Crossmolina out, and the league final in 2003 when we won in injury time with a late late goal from Munnelly. Maybe the Charlestown lads on here won't like me for saying this but I feel that had Knockmore Killer and Munnely fit and available we could have won the final last year.

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 02, 2010, 08:39:19 AM
Quote from: stephenite on February 02, 2010, 01:51:36 AM

True, but they won't be 3 local clubs like the Crossmolina, Ballina, Knockmore triangle was. I've only been following Mayo football since the mid nineties and I doubt there will be struggles between any teams from these clus like there were around the turn of the millenium. The 2 standout games for me were the semi-final in 2001 when we knocked Crossmolina out, and the league final in 2003 when we won in injury time with a late late goal from Munnelly. Maybe the Charlestown lads on here won't like me for saying this but I feel that had Knockmore Killer and Munnely fit and available we could have won the final last year.

Mitchels, Ballintubber & Breaffy? Possible if a little unlikely.
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Lads... I've been checking through Crossmolina's fixtures and in Division 1E, they play Moygownagh and Ardagh. Have these two clubs separated again I wonder ???