Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

County Under 21 Final
Ballintubber 2-6 0-11 Castlebar Mitchels

Good game by all accounts considering the conditions. Nice to win back to back titles. I was looking at the cup and Ballagh were the last to do it in 04 and 05. I think Davitts had a 3 in a row in the 80's which is impressive.

Tubberman

QuoteBallintubber 2-6 0-11 Castlebar Mitchels

Good game by all accounts considering the conditions. Nice to win back to back titles. I was looking at the cup and Ballagh were the last to do it in 04 and 05. I think Davitts had a 3 in a row in the 80's which is impressive.

Yeah, I thought it was a very good game considering the conditions.
Mitchels started very well, and Ballintubber had to work very hard to keep them at bay, including a crucial save from Ger Murphy in goal - had Castlebar got a goal at that stage, it would have left a mountain for Ballintubber to climb.
Castlebar had most of the play but the Ballintubber defence were working extremely hard and didn't give away any soft frees for Mitchels. Jason Gibbons was moved from full-forward out to midfield and that helped to even up the midfield battle.
Cillian O'Connor got an absolutely crucial goal that brought us right back into it and a half time scoreline of Mitchels 0-7 Ballintubber 1-1 wasn't a bad position considering Ballintubber would be playing with the strong wind in the second half.
Ballintubber started all guns blazing in the second half, and two spectacular points over the shoulder from Alan Heraty gave Ballintubber the momentum they needed. Pointed frees from Cillian O'Connor had Ballintubber a point up, when a Mitchels kick-out only dropped as far as Alan Heraty who lobbed the goalie for a goal similar to James Horan v Kerry in 96!
It looked like Ballintubber would go on and tack on another few scores, but an injury to Seanie Larkin stopped play and the momentum that was built up was lost. Mitchels came right back into the match and their pressure led to 3 pointed frees from Neil Douglas, but Ballintubber held out for a deserved and famous second U21 A title in a row.
For Ballintubber, the workrate throughout the team was fantastic. I thought Seanie Larkin (before injury), Myles Kelly, Danny and Ray Geraghty and Alan Heraty were the standout players.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on December 07, 2009, 09:53:57 AM

Mitchels started very well, and Ballintubber had to work very hard to keep them at bay, including a crucial save from Ger Murphy in goal - had Castlebar got a goal at that stage, it would have left a mountain for Ballintubber to climb.
Castlebar had most of the play but the Ballintubber defence were working extremely hard and didn't give away any soft frees for Mitchels. Jason Gibbons was moved from full-forward out to midfield and that helped to even up the midfield battle.
Cillian O'Connor got an absolutely crucial goal that brought us right back into it and a half time scoreline of Mitchels 0-7 Ballintubber 1-1 wasn't a bad position considering Ballintubber would be playing with the strong wind in the second half.
Ballintubber started all guns blazing in the second half, and two spectacular points over the shoulder from Alan Heraty gave Ballintubber the momentum they needed. Pointed frees from Cillian O'Connor had Ballintubber a point up, when a Mitchels kick-out only dropped as far as Alan Heraty who lobbed the goalie for a goal similar to James Horan v Kerry in 96!
It looked like Ballintubber would go on and tack on another few scores, but an injury to Seanie Larkin stopped play and the momentum that was built up was lost. Mitchels came right back into the match and their pressure led to 3 pointed frees from Neil Douglas, but Ballintubber held out for a deserved and famous second U21 A title in a row.
For Ballintubber, the workrate throughout the team was fantastic. I thought Seanie Larkin (before injury), Myles Kelly, Danny and Ray Geraghty and Alan Heraty were the standout players.

Thats a good report Tubberman. I was way to hungover on Sunday to write one  :D

I thought Cillian O Connor always looked dangerous and Jason Gibbons was causing serious panic when he went to Full Forward in the second half. Keith Coleman that replaced the injured Seanie Larkin played very well for a young lad. He had two blocks and overturned and came out with the ball at vital times.

For Mitchles I thought Kirby did well in the middle. Douglas is a class act and caused all sorts of problems early in the game. Number 10 for Mitchles, Tom King had a good game although he drifted out of it in the 2nd half. I couldnt get over pace of him though! Someone was saying that he had a short professional football contract in England for a while.

Mitchles losing Aidan Walsh probably weakened them a little as he was their freetaker. That said, Douglas had a fine day kicking frees so I dont know how much of a loss Walsh was.

Cillians goal was crucial and that save by Ger Murphy kept us in it. I felt going in at half time that we could shade it when we had the wind in the second half.

Some drink afterwards... im still not right!

Tubberman

QuoteQuote from: Tubberman on Today at 09:53:57 AM
Ballintubber 2-6 0-11 Castlebar Mitchels

Thats a good report Tubberman. I was way to hungover on Sunday to write one 

I thought Cillian O Connor always looked dangerous and Jason Gibbons was causing serious panic when he went to Full Forward in the second half. Keith Coleman that replaced the injured Seanie Larkin played very well for a young lad. He had two blocks and overturned and came out with the ball at vital times.

For Mitchles I thought Kirby did well in the middle. Douglas is a class act and caused all sorts of problems early in the game. Number 10 for Mitchles, Tom King had a good game although he drifted out of it in the 2nd half. I couldnt get over pace of him though! Someone was saying that he had a short professional football contract in England for a while.

Mitchles losing Aidan Walsh probably weakened them a little as he was their freetaker. That said, Douglas had a fine day kicking frees so I dont know how much of a loss Walsh was.

Cillians goal was crucial and that save by Ger Murphy kept us in it. I felt going in at half time that we could shade it when we had the wind in the second half.

I went to make an attempt at a post yesterday but had to admit defeat - hadn't the energy for it!  :D
Was grand this morning when I posted, but going downhill rapid as the day goes on....

Yeah, Jason Gibbons was causing havoc when the quick high ball was sent in to him in the second half. Keith Coleman came out with the ball from the middle of a crowd of players near the end - I dunno how he managed to get the ball, all I could see was bodies, but it was vital - a loose ball could easily end up in the net in a situation like that.
Douglas was class for Mitchels, always looked dangerous - thankfully he was mainly confined to scoring from frees.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on December 07, 2009, 01:11:18 PM
I went to make an attempt at a post yesterday but had to admit defeat - hadn't the energy for it!  :D
Was grand this morning when I posted, but going downhill rapid as the day goes on....

Yeah, Jason Gibbons was causing havoc when the quick high ball was sent in to him in the second half. Keith Coleman came out with the ball from the middle of a crowd of players near the end - I dunno how he managed to get the ball, all I could see was bodies, but it was vital - a loose ball could easily end up in the net in a situation like that.
Douglas was class for Mitchels, always looked dangerous - thankfully he was mainly confined to scoring from frees.

Ya when Gary Loftus dropped back on him he contained Douglas.

That last Mitchells attack was frantic. My heart was in my mouth. All I could see was a Castlebar player with the ball bombing  up the middle. It was 3 vs 3 inside and Kirby and their corner back were joining the attack, which game them men over. It had goal written all over it. But somehow it broke down and there was practically a ruck formed. Coleman bust out with it and we all breathed a sigh of relief.  ;D
Thrilling finish... 

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: AbbeySider on December 07, 2009, 12:05:30 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on December 07, 2009, 09:53:57 AM

Thats a good report Tubberman. I was way to hungover on Sunday to write one  :D

He's a flyer alright. Was on the books at Plymouth Argyle a couple of years ago but never made the step up to first team squad afaik.
Hasta la victoria siempre

ballinaman

He was a serious cross county runner back in the day too.

StoneWall

I heard over the weekend that Garrymore and Kilmaine are amalgamating at underage next year. Don't know if it's a permanent arrangement or a trial for a year.

muscles magoo

Quote from: StoneWall on December 14, 2009, 08:25:44 AM
I heard over the weekend that Garrymore and Kilmaine are amalgamating at underage next year. Don't know if it's a permanent arrangement or a trial for a year.

It's permanent all right, or at least that's the plan in any case. Teams to be called 'Garrymore/Kilmaine'. Garrymore won the coin toss to decide which name would be first...

muppet

Quote from: muscles magoo on December 14, 2009, 08:32:16 AM
Quote from: StoneWall on December 14, 2009, 08:25:44 AM

It's permanent all right, or at least that's the plan in any case. Teams to be called 'Garrymore/Kilmaine'. Garrymore won the coin toss to decide which name would be first...

Pity, Kil-more would have been a great name or even Garrymaine.
MWWSI 2017

ludermor

Its one of the great mysteries of Erris why Kilmore have never had their own team , they are the parish that would have supplied most of the footballers to Belmullet down the years. The parish takes in most of the mullet penninsula and would always have had a higher population than Kiltane.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ludermor on December 15, 2009, 10:58:37 AM
Its one of the great mysteries of Erris why Kilmore have never had their own team , they are the parish that would have supplied most of the footballers to Belmullet down the years. The parish takes in most of the mullet penninsula and would always have had a higher population than Kiltane.

But how would Belmullet survive then? Just the urban limits is it? Belmullet as a club have underachieved hugely in comparison to Kiltane. Kiltane have much less playing resources but are so resourcesful with them. Belmullet appear a bit watery bytimes.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ludermor

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on December 16, 2009, 04:23:43 PM
Quote from: ludermor on December 15, 2009, 10:58:37 AM

But how would Belmullet survive then? Just the urban limits is it? Belmullet as a club have underachieved hugely in comparison to Kiltane. Kiltane have much less playing resources but are so resourcesful with them. Belmullet appear a bit watery bytimes.
If they were ran property the town would be well able to compete, the belmullet parish is large enough but gaelic is weak in parts of it. There has been a seriou spopulation increase over the last 5 years so they should be ok for the next few years ( in a lot better state than kiltane)

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: StoneWall on December 16, 2009, 05:28:46 PM
Looks like a St Geralds at adult level is on the cards...

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8346:noel-connelly-calls-for-adult-amalgamation&catid=14&Itemid=100008

I doubt it. Connelly hints at some dyed in the wool Carramore men in the piece and from what I know that's an obstacle that's not gonna be cleared any time soon.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year