Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

That in the event of any county final ending in a Draw, that the tie be decided
Means of a replay. (Beal Atha h-Aimhnais)

At the minute the rule with regard to underage finals is that only the Minor A county final can go to a replay. Everything else is supposed to go to extra time.

6. In all senior/intermediate/junior championship groups consisting of four teams,
That each of these four clubs will have 1 home match, 1 away match and the remaining match be played at a neutral venue. This will make it much fairer to
All clubs involved rather that the lopsided system there in place at the moment where some clubs play two of their three group games at home and other clubs play two of their three away from home. ( Garrai Mor)

This is nonsense in my opinion. The eight quarter finalists from the previous year are seeded and assured of two home games. Teams who can't get out of their group only get one game. Its perfectly fair. We're only gonna get one home game next year but its our own fault.

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 25, 2009, 09:31:03 AM
7. That an amalgamation of the four exclusive Junior clubs (Balla, Islaneady, Louisburgh and Parke/Keelogues/Crimlin) in West Mayo are allowed to participate in the 2010 Senior Club Championship under the title of West Mayo. (Oilean Eadaigh)

I'd be in favour of this myself. But how would it affect the Junior championship? If it were to happen it would have to happen across the board so that the fixtures could be arranged accordingly.

8. That the U-21 Championship reverts back to the Divisional Boards until the County Semi-Final Stage. (Oilean Eadaigh)
Complete and utter nonsense. They're trying to phase it out at lower underage levels as it is. You always have Claremorris winning the south every second year due to lack of opposition. And then you'd have, as Abbeysider says, the three teams left in Under 21 all from the west. As things stand at Under 21 you have the A, B and C championships, go splitting them into another four would make it like Community Games - nearly everyone would win.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Farrandeelin

Fixtures this weekend
U-21 A Championship Semi-final
Breaffy v Castlebar Mitchels

U-21 B Championship
Ballyhaunis v The Neale - Quarter final replay.
St. Gerards v Achill - Semi-final

Minor League Division 1 Final
Knockmore v Kiltimagh

All on Saturday at 12 noon according to Mayo GAA website.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

REDCOL

Just a few thoughts on motion 6 brought forward by our club. If the same logic applied to the Connacht Senior Championship Mayo & Galway would always be kept apart and the other counties would only get a home match when they beat one of Mayo / Galway.

Is championship not meant to be a fair test, we already seed the teams to keep the strong apart, why give them an added advantage every year of home venue. I dont know of anywhere else were there is such advantage given to the top teams.

24 matches in  this years championship league stage - 6 away wins. It is obvious there is a huge bonus in getting the extra home games.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: REDCOL on November 27, 2009, 02:32:55 PM
Just a few thoughts on motion 7 brought forward by our club. If the same logic applied to the Connacht Senior Championship Mayo & Galway would always be kept apart and the other counties would only get a home match when they beat one of Mayo / Galway.

Is championship not meant to be a fair test, we already seed the teams to keep the strong apart, why give them an added advantage every year of home venue. I dont know of anywhere else were there is such advantage given to the top teams.

24 matches in  this years championship league stage - 6 away wins. It is obvious there is a huge bonus in getting the extra home games.

Not comparing like with like with the Connacht championship. Are you seriously trying to say that there should be no seeding as well? So there could be a group with Crossmolina, Charlestown, Knockmore and Ballaghaderreen in one group and then you could have Ballinrobe, Moy Davitts, Garrymore and Westport in another group. I don't see how that's fair, that's like using a golf handicap system. By the way I'm picking the four 'weak' teams there based on the three teams who were in the relegation play offs and the Inter champs. My substantive point is you could have four teams who weren't in the previous year's quarter finals in the same group. Sure, some people might say, it will be exciting. But certainly not fair.

And back to the home and away game arguments. Home advantage is an advantage, that's why the eight teams who qualified the year before should be rewarded. But home advantage won't win the game for you. We've a mixed enough recrod home and away to be honest. The stat you quote there - only six wins from 24 - I'm not sure that helps you're argument. It has more to do with the better teams just happening to play two of their three games at home. Yer club are an exception too. Home advantage means more to ye than perhaps any other senior club (Kiltane possibly excluded) because it is a very hard place to go to and yer draw against Charlestown in the group stage underlines this. But, by and large, teams can play home and away without a massive differerence. It is still fair that the teams who did well the previous year should be rewarded.

REDCOL

No objection to the seeding. We will have to disagree on the home advantage that will be up to the delegates, but cant see why any team is entitled to any advantage over another team  in a new championship season.

This system is not in place in any other county in the country as far as I am aware. By the way when we played Ballina in the quarter final in 2007, the following year we had one home match even though we were quarter finalists. 

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: REDCOL on November 27, 2009, 04:41:34 PM
No objection to the seeding. We will have to disagree on the home advantage that will be up to the delegates, but cant see why any team is entitled to any advantage over another team  in a new championship season.

This system is not in place in any other county in the country as far as I am aware. By the way when we played Knockmore in the quarter final in 2007, the following year we had one home match even though we were quarter finalists.

Why did that happen? That is clearly unfair. I can't speak about any other county because not all counties have group stages but the format at the minute is fair to me.

REDCOL

Few Examples

Saturday 08th September 2007
Get Match Results by Weekly e-mail (Click here to subscribe)
Mayo Senior Football Championship
Team 1   Score   Score   Team 2   Venue   Comment   
Tourmakeady    1-8   1-8   Claremorris    Ballinrobe   Relegation Playoff   

Saturday 07th June 2008
TF Royal Hotel & Theatre Mayo Senior Championship Group D
Claremorris    1-13   1-8   Castlebar Mitchels    Claremorris   Round 2

Saturday 19th July 2008
TF Royal Hotel & Theatre Mayo Senior Championship Group D
Claremorris    0-12   1-9   Ballina Stephenites    Claremorris   Round 3

Saturday 25th August 2007
Mayo Senior Football Championship
Ballina Stephenites    0-12   0-8   Garrymore    Castlebar   Quarter Final   

Sunday 08th June 2008
TF Royal Hotel & Theatre Mayo Senior Championship Group A
Charlestown    0-12   1-3   Garrymore    Charlestown   Round 2

Sunday 20th July 2008
TF Royal Hotel & Theatre Mayo Senior Championship Group A
Ballintubber    2-12   2-8   Garrymore    Ballintubber   Round 3   

Interesting  !!!

REDCOL

In 2007 I believe Ballaghadreen & Knockmore qualified fom your section:

Sunday 08th June 2008
TF Royal Hotel & Theatre Mayo Senior Championship Group C
Breaffy    1-20   1-10   Kiltane    Breaffy   Round 2

Saturday 19th July 2008
Breaffy    1-8   1-8   Ballaghadereen    Breaffy   Round 3

Please explain ?

Farrandeelin

Congrats to Kiltimagh today. Why on Earth Vincent McKeown wasn't starting for Mayo minors this year I don't know, he was exceptional today. Needless to say another one of my teams lost again in a final, but no complaints whatsoever this time. Kiltimagh 1-12, Knockmore 1-6 was the result. I heard Castlebar Mitchels beat Breaffy handy enough. So that's it. No more action until February...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 28, 2009, 07:08:39 PM
Congrats to Kiltimagh today. Why on Earth Vincent McKeown wasn't starting for Mayo minors this year I don't know, he was exceptional today. Needless to say another one of my teams lost again in a final, but no complaints whatsoever this time. Kiltimagh 1-12, Knockmore 1-6 was the result. I heard Castlebar Mitchels beat Breaffy handy enough. So that's it. No more action until February...

Mitchels won 1-9 to 0-8. Best team today and best team over both games so no arguments on that. However that the game was played today was a disgrace. I was behind one of the goals and I couldn't see where the kick outs were landing, the fog was that bad. An awful time of year for such a good competition to be played.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: REDCOL on November 27, 2009, 05:25:23 PM
In 2007 I believe Ballaghadreen & Knockmore qualified fom your section:

Sunday 08th June 2008
Breaffy    1-20   1-10   Kiltane    Breaffy   Round 2

Saturday 19th July 2008
Breaffy    1-8   1-8   Ballaghadereen    Breaffy   Round 3

Please explain ?

Jaysus you've a fair bit of time on your hands. Maybe it was only this year so that the top two teams got the home draws, might have been random before that. My point remains that the system at the minute - where the eight quarter-finalists from the year before get two home games in the group stage is the fairest system.

cookstownblue

ramdom question- can anyone put me in contact with James Nallen, who spent time in australia in 2004, whats his local club?

AbbeySider

One of the last competitive games of the Mayo club season

County Under 21A Final Saturday December 5th
Ballintubber V Castlebar Mitchels Ref : Michael Daly in Mayo Abbey @ 1.00

Possibly one of the biggest games in our clubs history.
Going for a two in a row against our biggest rivals.

Its a close one to call, any predictions?

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on December 01, 2009, 04:34:09 PM
One of the last competitive games of the Mayo club season

County Under 21A Final Saturday December 5th
Ballintubber V Castlebar Mitchels Ref : Michael Daly in Mayo Abbey @ 1.00

Possibly one of the biggest games in our clubs history.
Going for a two in a row against our biggest rivals.

Its a close one to call, any predictions?

And the award for exaggeration of the day goes to . . . !

Big game and I wish we were there for it but it pales into insignificance compared to yer Inter finals in this decade and the last two senior quarter-finals. Whether ye win or not on Sunday, ye have enough players coming through to supplement yer team for years to come.

Who will win? Very hard to call. I won't be there but I've a sneaking feeling ye might do it. Will be a close run thing though. Tactics very important.

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on December 01, 2009, 05:23:49 PM
And the award for exaggeration of the day goes to . . . !

Big game and I wish we were there for it but it pales into insignificance compared to yer Inter finals in this decade and the last two senior quarter-finals. Whether ye win or not on Sunday, ye have enough players coming through to supplement yer team for years to come.

Who will win? Very hard to call. I won't be there but I've a sneaking feeling ye might do it. Will be a close run thing though. Tactics very important.

I said one of the biggest games, and of course an A championship final at U21 grade is as big as a Senior quarter final IMO, especially since we are going for a two in a row!

But anyway, I hope we do it, but its very close to call. Mitchles have a brilliant midfield and some classy forwards.