Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on November 10, 2009, 03:53:52 PM
what age is he?? Has anyone seen Dermot Geraghty play recently. never felt he got a right run in the team. He is after all a natural corner back. Ask Michael Meehan about him/

Ruaidhri O Connor is 20-21 as far as im aware
Cathal Hallinan is 22 I think

Going back to Geraghty, as good as he was I think he is a bit small for Inter county.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ballinaman on November 10, 2009, 04:00:58 PM
what age is he?? Has anyone seen Dermot Geraghty play recently. never felt he got a right run in the team. He is after all a natural corner back. Ask Michael Meehan about him/

Eh...or how about asking the Kerry full forward line from 06......His theme song sould be "I wish i was a little bit taller".

Don't think you can blame Geraghty there. Donaghy on Heaney was the 'big' problem. In fact in the 2004 final Geraghty was doing reasonably well on Cooper when Maughan panicked and brought him out to the half-back line. He put Pat Kelly in on Gooch and it was Kelly then who was embarrisngly outfielded by Cooper for his goal.

I'm not going to go down the route of naming names but, no more than Aidan Higgins, Dermot Geraghty is so much a better corner-back than some of the players in the Mayo squad this year that are a, considered corner-backs or b, asked to play there out of position.

I tear my hair out sometimes at the thought!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 10, 2009, 04:04:13 PM

Going back to Geraghty, as good as he was I think he is a bit small for Inter county.

O'Connor is Under 21 next year. I didn't think I'd have to clarify matters Ballintubber with you Abbeysider!

I thought Cathal Hallinan was older than 22, but I won't swear to it.

Foreverhopeful

ya dermot geraghty was doing alright on cooper. He is def a better corner back than Vaughan/Liam O'Malley. At the very least he should be in the panel. I always wonder why some players get discarded completely from the panel and others get dragged along when we know they are never going to figure. He'll get away with his height against a lot of teams. It's up to JOM to find taller alternatives when needed.

AbbeySider

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 10, 2009, 04:06:50 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 10, 2009, 04:06:50 PM

O'Connor is Under 21 next year. I didn't think I'd have to clarify matters Ballintubber with you Abbeysider!

Ru and Mick Nestor, Jason Gibbons etc are all U21 next year so he would be 20 now.

Cathal Hallinan, Paraic O Connor and those lads won the U21 last year so they would have their 22nd birthday this year no?

AbbeySider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on November 10, 2009, 04:11:00 PM
ya dermot geraghty was doing alright on cooper. He is def a better corner back than Vaughan/Liam O'Malley. At the very least he should be in the panel. I always wonder why some players get discarded completely from the panel and others get dragged along when we know they are never going to figure. He'll get away with his height against a lot of teams. It's up to JOM to find taller alternatives when needed.

The problem with JOM is that he inherits lads from the county U21 and minor panels without looking seriously at club players who are better. Mayo have fallen into the trap of picking good athletes rather than giving a serious chance to lads that have the talent.
I dont know if it laziness, lack of respect for club football or simply because he doesnt have the time to scout at club games.
But Vaughan, Barett, Cuinneffe, O Malley etc are all good athletes, inherited from county U21 and minor panels but im not sure is the talent really in them.

ballinaman

Geraghty is a great corner back, don't get me wrong and a really sound lad too. Just too small for modern intercounty football sadly!!

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 10, 2009, 04:05:24 PM
Dermot Geraghty is so much a better corner-back than some of the players in the Mayo squad this year that are a, considered corner-backs or b, asked to play there out of position.

Very, very true.
I would have him ahead of O Malley, Vaughan, Barett etc any day of the week.
Although he is small, you can get away with it provided the whole line isnt small.

Foreverhopeful

He should read the western/mayo news and he'd see what club players are standing out. Have never seen alan freeman for aughamore but from reading reports it seems like he could do a job at full-forward. He always seems to get goals and puts up a good tally each game.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on November 10, 2009, 04:35:30 PM
He should read the western/mayo news and he'd see what club players are standing out. Have never seen alan freeman for aughamore but from reading reports it seems like he could do a job at full-forward. He always seems to get goals and puts up a good tally each game.

Its all good and well reading but match reports in a paper are can only tell a certain story. You can have backs at club level taking forwards to the cleaners and you wont hear their name unless they score. In the same light a forward with a hand in multiple scores would sometimes be lucky to get a mention in a report.

You need be at matches and have your finger on the pulse of club football if you are managing a county team. I have seen county players been made look very, very ordinary and have seen club players excel brilliantly never get a chance.

But you are always given the benefit of the doubt in Mayo due to your name/rep because you may have had a good half hour as a county minor or U21.

Foreverhopeful

for years david tiernan has being featuring as charlestown's best player in the reports, he's a perfect example.

muppet

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 10, 2009, 04:24:52 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 10, 2009, 04:05:24 PM
Dermot Geraghty is so much a better corner-back than some of the players in the Mayo squad this year that are a, considered corner-backs or b, asked to play there out of position.

Very, very true.
I would have him ahead of O Malley, Vaughan, Barett etc any day of the week.
Although he is small, you can get away with it provided the whole line isnt small.

The problem here is of course those 3 are all half backs.

It must be a serious shock to the system to play club senior, county minor & county u-21 as a half back or whatever and then get a run in senior IC football in a new position on an established IC player.
MWWSI 2017

AbbeySider

Quote from: muppet on November 10, 2009, 06:38:40 PM
The problem here is of course those 3 are all half backs.

It must be a serious shock to the system to play club senior, county minor & county u-21 as a half back or whatever and then get a run in senior IC football in a new position on an established IC player.

I dont know about shock to the system, but a good corner back should be able to play wing back and vise versa.
Playing centre back and full back, and central positions is a different kettle of fish.

Either way I maintain that defensively; Geraghty is light years ahead of those guys.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 10, 2009, 04:11:56 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on November 10, 2009, 04:06:50 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 10, 2009, 04:06:50 PM

Ru and Mick Nestor, Jason Gibbons etc are all U21 next year so he would be 20 now.

Cathal Hallinan, Paraic O Connor and those lads won the U21 last year so they would have their 22nd birthday this year no?

That's my point. He's 20 now, you said 20/21. Sorry for being pedantic!

Are Padraig and Cathal the same age? Did Cathal ever play county? He would have been definitely good enough for that 2005 Mayo minor team. Good player.

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on November 10, 2009, 12:05:21 PM
Team for FBD
K O'Malley/ R Hennelly
Joe Keane / E O Reilly
Alan Feeney / K Keane
Kevin Mcloughlin / D Geraghty
Chris Barrett / D Vaughan
David Kilcullen / L O Malley
Shane Nally / J Burke
James Kilcullen / J Cafferty
Seamus O'Shea / J Gibbons
Aidan Campbell  / R Haran
Aidan O Shea / A Walsh
Cathal Freeman / M Mullins
Brian Benson / M Ronaldson
Alan Freeman / B Regan
Neil Douglas  / E Varley

Good stuff. How many of these will be available for Mayo in the FBD? A lot will be playing for colleges? Sometimes you d wonder about the FBD and how chaotic the new year is with Sigerson and the U21 championship coming up as well. There is really not much opportunity to blood new players at senior level especially as every national league game is crucial to survive in div1.