Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 08, 2009, 11:19:14 AM
Jaysus just looking at some of the selections for best ever Mayo team there is little doubt that so many players come from the north Mayo axis of Crossmolina, Knockmore and Ballina. I've put together the following team from the three clubs and I've included Ardnaree as well. Moysider and Deel Rover and the lads might be able to do better but whatever way you look at it, it is very formiddable. Would this team beat a rest of Mayo select?

Sean Wynne (Ballina)

John Forde (Ardnaree)   Willie Casey (Ballina)  John Maughan (Crossmolina)

Liam O'Neill (Knockmore)  James Nallen (Crossmolina)  Peter Quinn (Ardnaree)

Liam McHale (Ballina)    Padraig Brogan (Knockmore)

Seamus O'Dowd (Ballina)   Ciaran McDonald (Crossmolina)  Joe Corcoran (Ardnaree)

Kevin O'Neill (Knockmore)  Paddy Moclair (Ballina)  Josie Munnelly (Crossmolina).

Paddy Moclair is Balllina, right? I'll gladly take a replacement for John Maughan but I can't think of one off-hand (and that's not a criticism on him, but injury did hold him back from realising his potential).

If Liam O'Neill is from Knockmore then Josie Munnelly is from Castlebar.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Paddy Moclair was a Castlebar man who won County championships with Mitchels and Stephenites.

Foreverhopeful

moysider i think you are afraid to pick a team because you'll be ridiculed. You always have your bit to say on team selections but yet you afraid to deliver your own. I must admit that i respect your comments and i look forward to them. That is why i am intrigued to hear your choice. You may say pointless but it is after all a discussion board. I would like to see which direction you would like the team to go down

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on November 08, 2009, 07:01:47 PM
moysider i think you are afraid to pick a team because you'll be ridiculed. You always have your bit to say on team selections but yet you afraid to deliver your own. I must admit that i respect your comments and i look forward to them. That is why i am intrigued to hear your choice. You may say pointless but it is after all a discussion board. I would like to see which direction you would like the team to go down

I ve selected a few teams on this thread already.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: moysider on November 06, 2009, 12:31:27 AM
Quote from: Foreverhopeful on November 06, 2009, 12:03:12 AM
Moysider, could you do a team that you would like to see next yr and please include those who you think should be on it but wont ie A Higgins

Oh Christ give me time to think about it. In fact that is something I probably dont even want to think about really. What s the point picking a team with Higgins in it when he s not going to be. Immediately the whole balance of the team is S***. I honestly dont think we have any more of a foundation of a team than we had 2 years ago. I could nt pick a team with Keith Higgins Ger Cafferkey and Kevin McLoughlin in the full-back line but I think they all should start for us - but not in the full back line. The only guy I m sure that should be in the full back line is A Higgins. Another one who merits scrutiny is Joe Keane. Full back position probably needs a big convert like Kerry and others manage to do. To be honest Declan Sweeney probably a better bet than most from what I ve seen. But there zero chance of that.

i think this is what forever is on about moysider . maybe he is o' mahony  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

moysider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 08, 2009, 07:50:05 PM
Quote from: moysider on November 06, 2009, 12:31:27 AM
Quote from: Foreverhopeful on November 06, 2009, 12:03:12 AM
Moysider, could you do a team that you would like to see next yr and please include those who you think should be on it but wont ie A Higgins

Oh Christ give me time to think about it. In fact that is something I probably dont even want to think about really. What s the point picking a team with Higgins in it when he s not going to be. Immediately the whole balance of the team is S***. I honestly dont think we have any more of a foundation of a team than we had 2 years ago. I could nt pick a team with Keith Higgins Ger Cafferkey and Kevin McLoughlin in the full-back line but I think they all should start for us - but not in the full back line. The only guy I m sure that should be in the full back line is A Higgins. Another one who merits scrutiny is Joe Keane. Full back position probably needs a big convert like Kerry and others manage to do. To be honest Declan Sweeney probably a better bet than most from what I ve seen. But there zero chance of that.

i think this is what forever is on about moysider . maybe he is o' mahony  ;)

Then I d better give him a few pointers. Seriously though Foreverhopefuls own selection has plenty of merit. And after what we saw Spring and Summer its difficult what several of the players have to offer going forward.  Picking the full-back line the most difficult thing.

Clarke.
Higgins Aidan
Heaney/Keane [Westport]
Keane [Crossmolina]
Higgins Keith
Cafferkey
McLoughlin
McGarrity/Parsons
Seamus O Shea/James Kilcullen
Harte
Moran Andy
Howley
Trevor
O Shea Aidan
Dillon

moysider

Quote from: moysider on April 13, 2009, 11:39:00 PM

Clarke

Aiden Higgins                                  Cafferkey                           McLoughlin

Heaney                                          Howley                              Keith Higgins

McGarrity                                 Seamas Ó Sé

Harte                                          Parsons                                   Trevor

Aiden O Sé                                   Barry Moran                           Alan Dillon   

Dillon to play off the 2 big lads inside. Trevor to dig and unleash hell among the enemy all over the place. Parsons in the forwards until he gets a defensive side to his game and because we need a footballer at 11 and he s the best we have. Howley and Aiden Higgins to add bite to the defence. Seamas O Sé because we need an animal with hairy hoofs around the middle and he d better come through.           

By comparison the above is the team I wanted to see in this year s championship. Posted that last April. So I think it s unfair to say that I m afraid to select a team.

Foreverhopeful

fair point moysider, just wanted to see your current line-up. Respect your opinion. Fairly spot on alot of the time!.
Dillon in the corner? Has he the out and out pace for in their. I'm not so sure. I think 12 is his baby and we ought to leave him there.
'm not sure about Harte tbh. He is a superb athlete but he is just too inconsistent for me. He has been moved around too much and is neither one thing or the other.
Think mayo really need to get the dog in midfield. Its tried and trusted. Look at all-stars last two years - Shane Ryan & Seamus Scanlon. So kilcullen/O'shea is worth a go.
Andy Moran has become a leader of the team and i think he could be ready for no.11. He has fire in the belly.

moysider

After what I saw this year I m convinced that Andy is probably the best passer of the ball we have. His craft in the final crazy minutes got us over the line v Galway. I dont think we need him in the half back line where he can be too loose. Dillon is clever and its his runs more than make up for killer pace. I d play him off 1 big man inside with Trevor roaming.
I must say I would nt be too happy with the form of players like Harte, McGarrity, Parsons and others this year.
I also think its time to bring in players like Shane Nally, James Cafferkey, Cathal Freeman when he s right again.
If there was to be a shopping list the bread and butter items would be. I/2 corner backs. full back. 1 midfield ox. 1 corner forward who loves scoring goals.

Foreverhopeful

ya would agree. Shane nally would be up there for me. Hope cathal freeman gets back fit. Looked a very very good minor. James Cafferty seemed to struggle with injuries so if he could establish himself with cross i think he will make the progression to the seniors.
Just think Mayo need a much harder edge.
Think Cafferkey is the man tho for no.3 except when opposed to big tall players. In that case i would play Kieran Conroy. Joe Sheridan fairly rattled Caf.
Would really like O'mahoney to give new young players a chance in FBD rather than the yearly chance given to Colm Cafferkey which he never takes.

Mayo4Sam

I'm not sure pat c or dessie played senior for Mayo.

On the Mayo team named there I think you need kilcoyne in with the 2 big men, he's quickest to the breaking ball, had his best ye for Mayo this year. On him I'd be worried he'll not be back, the 2nd break is meant to be worst than the 1st in the same spot, it's a real pity he was finally really filling his potential

Quote from: moysider on November 07, 2009, 09:18:56 PM

Christ. you d expect Knockmore men to do better than that.

Pat Reape
Patrick Corcoran
Seamas Durkan
Dessie Ruttledge
Peter Butler
Declan Sweeney
Liam O Neill
Kevin Staunton
Seamas Weir
Eddie McHale
Padraig Brogan
Raymond Dempsey
Kevin O Neill
Peter Hughes
Eugene McHale
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

moysider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 08, 2009, 11:38:29 PM
I'm not sure pat c or dessie played senior for Mayo.

On the Mayo team named there I think you need kilcoyne in with the 2 big men, he's quickest to the breaking ball, had his best ye for Mayo this year. On him I'd be worried he'll not be back, the 2nd break is meant to be worst than the 1st in the same spot, it's a real pity he was finally really filling his potential

Quote from: moysider on November 07, 2009, 09:18:56 PM

Christ. you d expect Knockmore men to do better than that.

Pat Reape
Patrick Corcoran
Seamas Durkan
Dessie Ruttledge
Peter Butler
Declan Sweeney
Liam O Neill
Kevin Staunton
Seamas Weir
Eddie McHale
Padraig Brogan
Raymond Dempsey
Kevin O Neill
Peter Hughes
Eugene McHale

Yeah. Its a pity that happened Kilcoyne. His best form by a mile this year and I must say I had largely given up on him. The Knockmore team I picked would have been the best of those I saw as I remember it. Not all of them would have played county senior.

GBXII

Good win for Charlestown yesterday, very lucky though...never saw a miss like the one by the Castlerea player at the end of normal time after Casey came out of goal to punch a ball clear..

ballinaman

What do ye make of Horans club team of the decade in the Western today????

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ballinaman on November 10, 2009, 10:35:53 AM
What do ye make of Horans club team of the decade in the Western today????

what is it ballinaman ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001