Liam McHale
Padraic Carney
Michael Connaughton
Ciaran McDonald
Joe Corcoran
Peter Solan
Tom Langan
Gerald Courell.

Is that Connaughton from Claremorris if so he was another player whose career ended early due a knee injury, from what I hear he was a brilliant player. Fr Newell the former Garrymore and Colmans manager reckoned he was the best player he ever coached and he coached  some good ones like TJ Kilgallon, John Finn, Adrian Garvey to name a few.

ballinaman

Quote from: FL/MAYO on November 06, 2009, 03:27:50 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 06, 2009, 01:12:20 PM
From what i've heard and seen, mine would be

Eugene Rooney
John Forde
Paddy Prendergast
Sean Flanagan
Kenneth Mortimor
John Morley
James Nallen
Liam McHale
Padraic Carney
Michael Connaughton
Ciaran McDonald
Joe Corcoran
Peter Solan
Tom Langan
Gerald Courell.

Is that Connaughton from Claremorris if so he was another player whose career ended early due a knee injury, from what I hear he was a brilliant player. Fr Newell the former Garrymore and Colmans manager reckoned he was the best player he ever coached and he coached  some good ones like TJ Kilgallon, John Finn, Adrian Garvey to name a few.

Thats him surely.

Foreverhopeful

joe corcoran the best of all

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 06, 2009, 09:57:06 AM
:D :D :D NBTD YA Gave me a great laugh this morning never thought i'd see bronsons name appearing in a thread on mayo football even if he is one  sound man

Was some man back in the day for Keenagh with the hair flowing in the wind!! They used to call him 'Ogie' as he took the frees from the ground similar to his Dublin namesake!!

Thought of a couple more Keenagh men for the team - Liam O'Malley, JG Barrett. Not really old enough, but can remember these guys playing (just)
Hasta la victoria siempre

Mayo4Sam

Would have to be
Pat Reape
kevin mcloughlin
peter Butler
Trevor Howley
Stan
bomber
kilcoyne
O'Neill
Eugene McHale
Dempsey
munnelly

I'll be back with the rest
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Christ. you d expect Knockmore men to do better than that.

Pat Reape
Patrick Corcoran
Seamas Durkan
Dessie Ruttledge
Peter Butler
Declan Sweeney
Liam O Neill
Kevin Staunton
Seamas Weir
Eddie McHale
Padraig Brogan
Raymond Dempsey
Kevin O Neill
Peter Hughes
Eugene McHale

the Deel Rover

moysider i saw on one of your posts you mentioned seamus o' dowd ? how good was he ? 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

stephenite

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 07, 2009, 09:58:27 PM
moysider i saw on one of your posts you mentioned seamus o' dowd ? how good was he ?

Well ahead of my time, but I've heard some describe him as the best footballer Ballina ever had

RedandGreenSniper

Jaysus just looking at some of the selections for best ever Mayo team there is little doubt that so many players come from the north Mayo axis of Crossmolina, Knockmore and Ballina. I've put together the following team from the three clubs and I've included Ardnaree as well. Moysider and Deel Rover and the lads might be able to do better but whatever way you look at it, it is very formiddable. Would this team beat a rest of Mayo select?

Sean Wynne (Ballina)

John Forde (Ardnaree)   Willie Casey (Ballina)  John Maughan (Crossmolina)

Liam O'Neill (Knockmore)  James Nallen (Crossmolina)  Peter Quinn (Ardnaree)

Liam McHale (Ballina)    Padraig Brogan (Knockmore)

Seamus O'Dowd (Ballina)   Ciaran McDonald (Crossmolina)  Joe Corcoran (Ardnaree)

Kevin O'Neill (Knockmore)  Paddy Moclair (Ballina)  Josie Munnelly (Crossmolina).

Paddy Moclair is Balllina, right? I'll gladly take a replacement for John Maughan but I can't think of one off-hand (and that's not a criticism on him, but injury did hold him back from realising his potential).
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stephenite

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 08, 2009, 11:19:14 AM
Jaysus just looking at some of the selections for best ever Mayo team there is little doubt that so many players come from the north Mayo axis of Crossmolina, Knockmore and Ballina. I've put together the following team from the three clubs and I've included Ardnaree as well. Moysider and Deel Rover and the lads might be able to do better but whatever way you look at it, it is very formiddable. Would this team beat a rest of Mayo select?

Sean Wynne (Ballina)

Seamus O'Dowd (Ballina)   Ciaran McDonald (Crossmolina)  Joe Corcoran (Ardnaree)

Kevin O'Neill (Knockmore)  Paddy Moclair (Ballina)  Josie Munnelly (Crossmolina).

Paddy Moclair is Balllina, right? I'll gladly take a replacement for John Maughan but I can't think of one off-hand (and that's not a criticism on him, but injury did hold him back from realising his potential).

Your missing one Jimmy Browne - that's Maughan gone

Gerard Courell (aparently), Kevin McStay and David Brady would be good enough, as would Mickey Loftus (apparently). I wouldn't have Brogan in centrefield either.

Farrandeelin

Sean Wynne (Ballina)

Quite possibly yes that team would beat a rest of Mayo select.

Best wishes to all Mayo teams playing today in the Connacht Championships too.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 07, 2009, 09:58:27 PM

Brilliant by all accounts. Never saw him play football but remember him playing a bit of rugby.
He captained the Mayo minors to AI in 1966 and was on the U21 team that won in 67 captained by another Ballina man Willie Loftus. O Dowd scored a goal thats still talked about in Connacht senior semi final in 67 v Galway. He missed a crucial free v Kerry in 69 semi and did nt play much after. He was gone by the national league win in 71.

moysider

I d have liked to see this team play.

Sean Wynne
John Forde
Willie Casey
George Ormsby
Jimmy Browne
Willie loftus
Peter Quinn
David Brady
Liam McHale
Seamus O Dowd
Jackie Carney
Tom Acton
Kevin McStay
Paddy Moclair
Gerald Courell

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 08, 2009, 12:28:37 PM

Sean Wynne (Ballina)

Quite possibly yes that team would beat a rest of Mayo select.

Best wishes to all Mayo teams playing today in the Connacht Championships too.

Here s a best of the others selection that would give them a run for their money.

Tom Burke [Castlebar]
'purty' Kelly [Westport]
Paddy Prendergast [Ballintubber]
Seán Flanagan [Ballyhaunis]
Seamus O Malley [Claremorris]
John Morley [Ballaghadereen]
Johnny Carey [Kiltane]
Henry Kenny [Castlebar]
Tom Grier [Ballycastle]
Eamonn Mongey[Castlebar]
Padraic Carney [Swinford]
WJ Padden [Belmullet]