Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

The lads might have a point. How about an All Time Dream Mayo XV? From who you've seen and from what considered opinions you've heard.

Straight off I'd be looking at the following team:

Eugene Lavin

Kenneth Mortimer  Paddy Prendergast Sean Flanagan

James Nallen   John Morley  Johnny Carey

Liam McHale   Padraig Carney

Joe Corcoran  Ciaran McDonald  Ger Geraghty

Ted Webb Tom Langan Padraig Brogan.

No WJP is the big ommision there but I think that's some team. I picked Brogan ahead  of Josie Munnelly although it would be easy to make an argument for Josie too. I'm picking that team based on talent, not necessarily how fulfilled that was - hence Brogan, Geraghty and Ted Webb in it even though we never saw any of them at their best, for a variety of reasons.

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

the Deel Rover

(1)       Barry Heffernan

(3)       John Maughan   

(5) Peadar Gardiner   (6)  Jimmy Nallen

8      Michael Moyles                             
                             (9)      P.j Loftus Snr

(11)     Ciaran Mc

(13)  P.J loftus Jnr   (14)     Sean lowry

I'll pick the other 6 tomorrow i have to put a bit more thought in to it don't want to be accused of been biased  ;)                                     
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Farrandeelin

:D :D :D
Woah, M Moyles would fairly frighten the shit outta all other midfielders wouldn't he. He's one player I never really rated. Don't know why either but he was one of those players that I was never comfortable with be him on the ball or off it!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on November 05, 2009, 03:41:15 PM
MAYO TEAM FOR NEXT YEAR:
DAVID CLARKE
AIDAN HIGGINS
GER CAFFERKEY
KEVIN MCLOUGHLIN
KEITH HIGGINS
TOM CUNNIFFE
ANDY MORAN
RONAN MCGARRITY
JAMES KILCULLEN
TREVOR HOWLEY
AIDAN O"SHEA
ALAN DILLON
AIDAN KILCOYNE
BARRY MORAN
TREVOR MORTIMER

T Howley can be our paul galvin/dooher. Aidan O"shea and trev to be interchangable depending on opponents.
Aidan Higgins def good enough for county level. Keith higgins to be unleashed ala davy harte/tomas o se. Not a natural corner back, pace better suited for half back line.
James Kilcullen can be our scanlon/collie holmes dog in midfield. Him or Seamus O'Shea.

New players to come in?
Neil Douglas
Alan Freeman ( nearly a goal every game from my reading of Western )
Alan Feeney
Brian Benson
Shane Nally
Kevin Keane.

Discard mikey sweeney, barry kelly.
Prob time for heaney and nallen to go, would be great to have them around for younger lads but then they would be taking 2 spots.
Mayo should go all out to win league this year.

Not bad. Not bad at all. On paper anyway. However the only convincing one of the full back line wont be even in the panel. I d realy like to see Cafferkey at 6. I expect McLoughlin to be in the forwards for the U21s and that s where his future probably lies. I reckon he could well be no 11 for U21s. I also expect Joe Keane The Younger to be pressing for a place next year.

Foreverhopeful

Is he an out and out corner back or wing back???

For me howley is the bite we need around half forward. He not a natural center back

Foreverhopeful

Moysider, could you do a team that you would like to see next yr and please include those who you think should be on it but wont ie A Higgins

RedandGreenSniper

Damn it! Can't resist looking at next year.

Mitchels Alan Feeney is in the panel and has been a class apart at full-back in the club championship this year. Will be interesting to see how he gets on. Young Joe Keane probably needs to go thru the Under 21 route first seeing as he has played no county football at all. I really would like to see Aidan Higgins given a go. He might be past it next year but he deserves a go. That he was dropped so unceremoniously this year tells you that won't happen.

Aside from that are their many players out there? The best players in the county final were John Casey and Ginger - both 35. Kevin O'Neill and Dec Sweeney were the main men for Knockmore. Not many lads standing out that aren't tried and trusted. Of course Kevin McLoughlin and Trevor Howley are standing out and they'll play a big part. Where is the question.

But I really would like to see James Kilcullen given a crack of it at midfield. I've my doubts about Parsons and McGarrity. We can play one of them but not both. Need a strong man. Seamie O'Shea is the option of the lads currently in the panel but injuries have held him back. Kilcullen definitely deserves a crack.

Anyone else? I dunno. There's not too many jumping out.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 05, 2009, 07:56:24 PM
The lads might have a point. How about an All Time Dream Mayo XV? From who you've seen and from what considered opinions you've heard.

Straight off I'd be looking at the following team:

Eugene Lavin

Kenneth Mortimer  Paddy Prendergast Sean Flanagan

James Nallen   John Morley  Johnny Carey

Liam McHale   Padraig Carney

Joe Corcoran  Ciaran McDonald  Ger Geraghty

Ted Webb Tom Langan Padraig Brogan.

No WJP is the big ommision there but I think that's some team. I picked Brogan ahead  of Josie Munnelly although it would be easy to make an argument for Josie too. I'm picking that team based on talent, not necessarily how fulfilled that was - hence Brogan, Geraghty and Ted Webb in it even though we never saw any of them at their best, for a variety of reasons.

Although Brogan, Geraghty and Tedd Webb were great talents and lost to Mayo football prematurely I think we have to go with the talents that got there. I mean you could make a case for Seamus O Dowd and others as well who shone brightly all too briefly.
I believe any Mayo all time XV would have to include Peter Solan and Mick Flanagan as well as Gerald Courell and possibly Moclair. The only recent ones to come into the reckoning for the forwards would be McDonald and Corcoran. Similarly the great John Forde would be way ahead of Mortimor as would Willie Casey who made Team of the Century. Jackie Carney, Eamonn Mongey as well as Josie Munelly deserve serious consideration .I mean these fellas brought home the bacon. Goalkeeper would either be Tom Bourke[no square ball in them days], Seán Wynne or maybe Eugene Rooney. Eugene Lavin was a fine goalkeeper and is a top fella but would rank behind Peter Burke and David Clarke as a keeper imo.

But hey, this is all just an acedemic- and very enjoyable- exercise to shorten the winter

Tom Bourke
John Forde
Paddy Prendergast
Sean Flanagan
Willie Casey
John Morley
James Nallen
Eamonn Mongey
Liam McHale
Ciaran McDonald
Padraic Carney
Joe Corcoran
Peter Solan
Tom Langan
Gerald Courell.

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on November 05, 2009, 11:49:46 PM
Is he an out and out corner back or wing back???

For me howley is the bite we need around half forward. He not a natural center back

Caff s strength as a player is attacking ball and carrying it and give and go. He s wasted 2-3-4 but he s an easy option for there as he s probably a better bet to survive there than whoever else they ve got. But he is going to suffer because of this and wont reach his potential as a player. He s a half back.

I think you re right about Howley. I always believed that Ginger Tiernan should have been doing the outlaw role in the half-forward line for years. I mean he has a greater awareness of what happening around him than Trevor ever had but for some reason.....But we dont like that kind of thing around here. He might lose the head and get booked. And God forbid, we dont want to win anything with lads like that. We still have along way to go here before we get real.   

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on November 06, 2009, 12:03:12 AM
Moysider, could you do a team that you would like to see next yr and please include those who you think should be on it but wont ie A Higgins

Oh Christ give me time to think about it. In fact that is something I probably dont even want to think about really. What s the point picking a team with Higgins in it when he s not going to be. Immediately the whole balance of the team is S***. I honestly dont think we have any more of a foundation of a team than we had 2 years ago. I could nt pick a team with Keith Higgins Ger Cafferkey and Kevin McLoughlin in the full-back line but I think they all should start for us - but not in the full back line. The only guy I m sure that should be in the full back line is A Higgins. Another one who merits scrutiny is Joe Keane. Full back position probably needs a big convert like Kerry and others manage to do. To be honest Declan Sweeney probably a better bet than most from what I ve seen. But there zero chance of that.

rosnarun

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 05, 2009, 08:16:20 PM

(3)       John Maughan   

8      Michael Moyles                             
                             (9)      P.j Loftus Snr

(11)     Ciaran Mc

I'll pick the other 6 tomorrow i have to put a bit more thought in to it don't want to be accused of been biased  ;)                                     
there fixed your team

2)jackie cadden           (3)       John Maughan    4)tom nallen

(5) Peadar Gardiner   (6)  Jimmy Nallen 5)mickey loftus

8      padraic garret(laherdale can got to hell)                         
                             (9)      P.j Loftus Snr

10) sean mangan           (11)     Ciaran Mc  12) enda lavelle

(13)  P.J loftus Jnr   (14)     Sean lowry       15) johnny rep
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on November 06, 2009, 01:01:46 AM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 05, 2009, 08:16:20 PM

(3)       John Maughan   

8      Michael Moyles                             
                             (9)      P.j Loftus Snr

(11)     Ciaran Mc

there fixed your team

2)jackie cadden           (3)       John Maughan    4)tom nallen

(5) Peadar Gardiner   (6)  Jimmy Nallen 5)mickey loftus

8      padraic garret(laherdale can got to hell)                         
                             (9)      P.j Loftus Snr

10) sean mangan           (11)     Ciaran Mc  12) enda lavelle

(13)  P.J loftus Jnr   (14)     Sean lowry       15) johnny rep

I d have Jim Timoney, Peter Mangan, Dermot Loftus and Tom Dolan in that team at 2,3,13 and 8. Hard to leave out Joe Keane also.

Never beat the deeler

Hows about:

.......................B Heffernan

S Rochford........T Nallen............C Reilly

P Gardiner........D Mulligan..........P McAndrew

.......J Nallen............M Moyles

J Keane..........C McDonald.........E Lavelle

P McGuinness.......L Moffat.........J Leonard

Edit: Anyone want to do a R'street/Keenagh team? The late great Mattie Heffernan and sons would feature prominently as would the Lavelles and Mulligans I presume. And who could forget David 'Bronson' Moran!?!
Hasta la victoria siempre

the Deel Rover

:D :D :D NBTD YA Gave me a great laugh this morning never thought i'd see bronsons name appearing in a thread on mayo football even if he is one  sound man 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

ballinaman

From what i've heard and seen, mine would be

Eugene Rooney
John Forde
Paddy Prendergast
Sean Flanagan
Willie Casey
John Morley
James Nallen
Liam McHale