Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreverhopeful

If you going to be complaining about players being left out then maybe ask why there is no junior players. A lot of good players there. But the Club Stars is never goin to please all. Everyone is too loyal to their own club in suggesting players

AbbeySider

Your right that these thing are subjective.

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 04, 2009, 07:50:58 PM
I would have had James Kilcullen. Declan Sweeney was very good most of the year. He was taken off Dillon because he got booked and to be honest it was only after that that Dillon impressed if I recall correctly.
Mitchels and Shrule did well this year. Shrule got out of a tricky group and Mitchels made the last four. I think each of their players deserved inclusion on their own individual merits. Neil Douglas and Alan Feeney have been brought into the Mayo team on the back of it.
Im defiantly not taking anything away from Alan Feeney and Neil Douglas, but I do think Pat Kelly is lucky to get a nomination and IMO so is Kieran Conroy. As regards Sweeney, I may be a bit harsh but I didnt really think he had a great final and in Rices own words
"...Alan Dillon whom no defender could eclipse. Declan Sweeney tried in the first half, and Trevor Howley was posted to his side after the break."
Sweeney is a good defender, battles hard and plays on the edge. In retrospect he may have deserved a nomination but its a matter of opinion.

Kevin Keane marking Ciaran Walsh? Why should that affect things? They each played five games before that. And, for the record, once David Prendergast was sent off, Kevin Keane was the free man so your point is moot.
Brendan Prendergast was the one from Tourmakeady that deserved a nomination IMO. TBH I have seen a lot of Keane this year and I wouldnt pick him out.

McDonald not getting a nomination? Deel Rover might be able to confirm but I think he missed the first two group games with the knee injury. He was good (not great) against Ballagh and was kept very quiet by Sweeney against Knockmore.
I think McD was back since July so he defiantly missed the first round. As far as im aware he came on against Ballina and kicked two and certainly has been Cross's stand out player against Ballaghadreen and Knockmore.

Anyway as we said, the only thing we will agree on is that these things are subjective so I wont argue anymore!  ;)

AbbeySider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on November 04, 2009, 11:30:44 PM
If you going to be complaining about players being left out then maybe ask why there is no junior players. A lot of good players there. But the Club Stars is never goin to please all. Everyone is too loyal to their own club in suggesting players

I agree, not one Junior, yet Kiltane and Garymore get nominations even though they didnt get out of their group?
For the record Killeen is and always was a class act, and Lyndsey was a great player but when a team doesnt get out of the group its a strange nomination.
What did RMG do to get a nomination when there isnt a Knockmore midfielder nominated? Or even James Kilcullen?

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 05, 2009, 09:48:48 AM
Your right that these thing are subjective.

I would have had James Kilcullen. Declan Sweeney was very good most of the year. He was taken off Dillon because he got booked and to be honest it was only after that that Dillon impressed if I recall correctly.
Mitchels and Shrule did well this year. Shrule got out of a tricky group and Mitchels made the last four. I think each of their players deserved inclusion on their own individual merits. Neil Douglas and Alan Feeney have been brought into the Mayo team on the back of it.
Im defiantly not taking anything away from Alan Feeney and Neil Douglas, but I do think Pat Kelly is lucky to get a nomination and IMO so is Kieran Conroy. As regards Sweeney, I may be a bit harsh but I didnt really think he had a great final and in Rices own words
"...Alan Dillon whom no defender could eclipse. Declan Sweeney tried in the first half, and Trevor Howley was posted to his side after the break."
Sweeney is a good defender, battles hard and plays on the edge. In retrospect he may have deserved a nomination but its a matter of opinion.

I won't get into a massive argument but I do disagree fundamentally with some of your comments. Declan Sweeney, from what I saw - all of Knockmore's knock out games - was excellent. I heard he was equally impressive in the group. Dillon and him were evenly matched imo until Sweeney got booked. He was effective then when moved to the wing. He did superbly well on McDonald in the semi-final and had a decent final, although Mark Caffrey played well on him. Not alone is he fully deserving of a nomination, but I reckon he'll make the team.
Kieran Conroy? Was very good both days against Mitchels, didn't put a foot wrong. Against us he was superb against no less a player than Aidan O'Shea and I believe he was superb when Shrule beat Ballagh as well. Definitely deserved to be nominated. Pat Kelly? The Mitchels lads tell me he has been rock solid all year and I was impressed with him in both Shrule games and in the Charlestown game. Looked very comfortable and in control of his area.

Kevin Keane marking Ciaran Walsh? Why should that affect things? They each played five games before that. And, for the record, once David Prendergast was sent off, Kevin Keane was the free man so your point is moot.
Brendan Prendergast was the one from Tourmakeady that deserved a nomination IMO. TBH I have seen a lot of Keane this year and I wouldnt pick him out.

Brendan Prender was hard done by. I'd agree fully with you. Kevin Keane was good in the games I saw. I think it is only championship that matters for these awards.

McDonald not getting a nomination? Deel Rover might be able to confirm but I think he missed the first two group games with the knee injury. He was good (not great) against Ballagh and was kept very quiet by Sweeney against Knockmore.
I think McD was back since July so he defiantly missed the first round. As far as im aware he came on against Ballina and kicked two and certainly has been Cross's stand out player against Ballaghadreen and Knockmore.

Anyway as we said, the only thing we will agree on is that these things are subjective so I wont argue anymore!  ;)

No way was McD Crossmolina's stand out player against Knockmore. He was non existent. He was good against Ballagh but he didn't dominate. Himself and David Kilcullen had a right oul battle with McD edging it.

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 05, 2009, 10:09:14 AM
Quote from: Foreverhopeful on November 04, 2009, 11:30:44 PM

I agree, not one Junior, yet Kiltane and Garymore get nominations even though they didnt get out of their group?
For the record Killeen is and always was a class act, and Lyndsey was a great player but when a team doesnt get out of the group its a strange nomination.
What did RMG do to get a nomination when there isnt a Knockmore midfielder nominated? Or even James Kilcullen?

I agree on McG - Kilcullen should have been ahead of him. Anyone from Knockmore will tell you that they got to a county final DESPITE having a very average midfield. Peter Clarke is a spoiler and Stephen Sweeney, while having more football than Clarke, is not a top class midfielder by any means. I didn't see Garrymore or Kiltane play but I do know Kiltane got to the quarter-finals! You should know that as ye drew with them to allow it happen!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 05, 2009, 10:25:17 AM
I didn't see Garrymore or Kiltane play but I do know Kiltane got to the quarter-finals! You should know that as ye drew with them to allow it happen!

I didnt mean to include Kiltane in that sentence, that the only oversight I will concede !!!   ;) :P

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 05, 2009, 10:41:42 AM
I didn't see Garrymore or Kiltane play but I do know Kiltane got to the quarter-finals! You should know that as ye drew with them to allow it happen!

I didnt mean to include Kiltane in that sentence, that the only oversight I will concede !!!   ;) :P

Don't worry. You'll see sense yet. Time is a great healer :P

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 05, 2009, 11:16:54 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on November 05, 2009, 10:41:42 AM

Don't worry. You'll see sense yet. Time is a great healer :P

:D :D :D :D

RedandGreenSniper

Of course I forgot time moves slower in Ballintubber . . .

Foreverhopeful

MAYO TEAM FOR NEXT YEAR:
DAVID CLARKE
AIDAN HIGGINS
GER CAFFERKEY
KEVIN MCLOUGHLIN
KEITH HIGGINS
TOM CUNNIFFE
ANDY MORAN
RONAN MCGARRITY
JAMES KILCULLEN
TREVOR HOWLEY
AIDAN O"SHEA
ALAN DILLON
AIDAN KILCOYNE
BARRY MORAN
TREVOR MORTIMER

T Howley can be our paul galvin/dooher. Aidan O"shea and trev to be interchangable depending on opponents.
Aidan Higgins def good enough for county level. Keith higgins to be unleashed ala davy harte/tomas o se. Not a natural corner back, pace better suited for half back line.
James Kilcullen can be our scanlon/collie holmes dog in midfield. Him or Seamus O'Shea.

New players to come in?
Neil Douglas
Alan Freeman ( nearly a goal every game from my reading of Western )
Alan Feeney
Brian Benson
Shane Nally
Kevin Keane.

Discard mikey sweeney, barry kelly.
Prob time for heaney and nallen to go, would be great to have them around for younger lads but then they would be taking 2 spots.
Mayo should go all out to win league this year.

AbbeySider

Not bad,
a couple of things I wouldnt agree with, but overall;
not bad...

*bites his lip slightly*

GBXII

Tom Parsons has to start in mid field for Mayo and Aiden O'Shea has to be kept as close as possible to the goals, 15 is his position in my opinion..

The Trevor Howley thing might actually work in fairness, not a bad idea..

I know Keith Higgins would be a better wing back than corner back but from what I've seen he is our best corner back, by far..

the Deel Rover

:D :D jesus lads ye boys are football mad , i can't believe ye are discussing next years team allready . I'm hibernating from all thing mayo ( football wise ) for the next 3 months at least  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Farrandeelin

It's good the team but I'd still be worried about Cafferkey and McLoughlin in the full-back line.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 05, 2009, 05:05:21 PM
:D :D jesus lads ye boys are football mad , i can't believe ye are discussing next years team allready . I'm hibernating from all thing mayo ( football wise ) for the next 3 months at least  ;)

Winter is on the way, we need to keep warm with tales of Willie Joe and McD, not be worrying about next year's half back line.
MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

Quote from: muppet on November 05, 2009, 07:18:21 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 05, 2009, 05:05:21 PM

Winter is on the way, we need to keep warm with tales of Willie Joe and McD, not be worrying about next year's half back line.

thats more my style muppett  :)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001