Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 01, 2009, 03:20:00 PM
Knockmore lost by 2 points to Ballinrobe today. Best team won, I don't have the actual score because there was no scoreboard in the ground.
[/b]

Typical.

StoneWall

Senior Championship Relegation playoff
Burrishoole  1-7 0-11 Moy Davitts

U21 A Championshp
Knockmore  1-11 1-13 Ballinrobe

Farrandeelin

Kiltimagh march on to the Connacht junior final after defeating Ballinameen by 2-14 to 0-3. Westport's game against Geevagh wasn't played due to the weather I presume.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

Senior Championship relegation play-off
Ballinrobe v Burrishoole

Division 1B
Swinford v Belmullet

U-21 Championship Quarter-final
Castlebar Mitchels v Aghamore

U-21 B Championship
The Neale v Ballyhaunis

Minor B Final
Charlestown v The Neale.

In reply to my own question I asked about next weekend's fixtures.

mayo 4 eva

Quote from: StoneWall on November 01, 2009, 03:37:40 PM
Senior Championship Relegation playoff
Burrishoole  1-7 0-11 Moy Davitts
U21 A Championshp
Knockmore  1-11 1-13 Ballinrobe

Senior Again for another year!! ;D ;D
The Question is..... What is the Question?

AbbeySider

Did anyone see the nominations for the club stars in the Mayo news?

Now maybe its me that knows absolutely nothing about football, im either awful wrong or awful right.
But some of the selections are questionable.

Castlebar Mitchels have four nominees and Shrule/Glencorrib getting three after some of the worst championship football ever played in McHale park in both games.

Im going to ruffle a few feathers but feck it... im asking the questions...

McDonald not even getting a nomination?
Howley getting a nomination in defence even though he was playing in the forwards?
Declan Sweeney? (taken off in the final, moved off Dillon in our quarter when he was being bet)
Kevin Keane and Ciaran Walsh, marking each other in the Intermediate final BOTH getting nominations?
One from Ballaghaderreen?
Pat Kelly?
Ronan McGarity (Ballina didnt get out of their group, and McG nearly got a suspension)?
Shane Lindsay?

(Charlestown)
Tom Parsons, John Casey, Colm Maye, Aidan Higgins, David Tiernan, Richard Haran, Mark Caffrey

(Knockmore)
Kevin McLoughlin, Declan Sweeney, Trevor Howley, Kevin O'Neill, Gerry Higgins

(Ballaghaderreen)
Stephen Drake

(Ballintubber)
Alan Dillon

(Castlebar)
Ciaran Naughton, Alan Feeney, Pat Kelly, Neil Douglas

(Shrule-Glen Corribe)
Dermot Geraghty, Kieran Conroy, Kevin Walsh

(Westport)
Kevin Keane, Damien Keane

(Tourmakeady)
Ciaran Walsh

(Belmullet)
Billy Joe Padden

(Cill Chomain)
James McAndrew 

(Crossmolina)
James Nallen

(Ballina Stephenites)
Ronan McGarrity

(Garrymore)
Jimmy Killeen 

(Kiltane)
Shane Lindsay

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 04, 2009, 11:21:24 AM
Did anyone see the nominations for the club stars in the Mayo news?

Now maybe its me that knows absolutely nothing about football, im either awful wrong or awful right.
But some of the selections are questionable.

Castlebar Mitchels have four nominees and Shrule/Glencorrib getting three after some of the worst championship football ever played in McHale park in both games.

Im going to ruffle a few feathers but feck it... im asking the questions...

McDonald not even getting a nomination?
Howley getting a nomination in defence even though he was playing in the forwards?
Declan Sweeney? (taken off in the final, moved off Dillon in our quarter when he was being bet)
Kevin Keane and Ciaran Walsh, marking each other in the Intermediate final BOTH getting nominations?
One from Ballaghaderreen?
Pat Kelly?
Ronan McGarity (Ballina didnt get out of their group, and McG nearly got a suspension)?
Shane Lindsay?

(Charlestown)
Tom Parsons, John Casey, Colm Maye, Aidan Higgins, David Tiernan, Richard Haran, Mark Caffrey

(Knockmore)
Kevin McLoughlin, Declan Sweeney, Trevor Howley, Kevin O'Neill, Gerry Higgins

(Ballaghaderreen)
Stephen Drake

(Shrule/Glencorrib)
Dermot Geraghty

(Ballintubber)
Alan Dillon

(Castlebar)
Ciaran Naughton, Alan Feeney, Pat Kelly, Neil Douglas

(Shrule-Glen Corribe)
Dermot Geraghty, Kieran Conroy, Kevin Walsh

(Westport)
Kevin Keane, Damien Keane

(Tourmakeady)
Ciaran Walsh

(Belmullet)
Billy Joe Padden

(Cill Chomain)
James McAndrew 

(Crossmolina)
James Nallen

(Ballina Stephenites)
Ronan McGarrity

(Garrymore)
Jimmy Killeen 

(Kiltane)
Shane Lindsay

thought we deserved more than one nomination young Joe Keane was excellent for us all year and defrinately deseved a nomination . who is on the selection committee if sean rice is on it it would explain a lot. 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AbbeySider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 04, 2009, 11:39:13 AM
thought we deserved more than one nomination young Joe Keane was excellent for us all year and defrinately deseved a nomination . who is on the selection committee if sean rice is on it it would explain a lot.

I was going to say Joe Keane Jr and maybe even Benson... FFS that FF line put the shits up any team in the county.

And the judges were:
Mayo GAA Board Secretary Seán Feeney
Midwest Radio analyst Eamon Clarke
Mayo News GAA writers Sean Rice and Austin Garvin

I dont rate any of them. Goes to show why football is fucXed in the county when these guys go round thinking they know something about it.

saffronandblue

Would agree that Joe Keane of Crossmolina is a notable ommission....one of the best forwards again in this years championship.

I thought Declan Sweeney was well deserving, drove the team on well in all of the games especially in the final and semi final.

Farrandeelin

McDonald was well beaten by Sweeney in the semi in all fairness and hadn't the speed of old either. It's going to be an interesting selection. Don't rate the judges either but why is the Mayo Co board in on all of this?

Foreverhopeful

cos he prob see's alot more games than anyone else, thats why. Don't go down that road.

Davitt Man

Well Feeney is at most games alrite andhe is at the gate collecting money at most the games.

One thing, people were being charged 10 quid into the recent Senior C\ship Relagation games, i think 10 euro is very steep and only hurting the actual die hards that turn up at this time of year in brutal weather to watch there club play. Whats more the game between Moy Davitts & Burrishoole went on for 3 games and it was 10 quid each game.

muppet

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on November 04, 2009, 05:35:05 PM
cos he prob see's alot more games than anyone else, thats why. Don't go down that road.

There is no doubt that is true but a process like this needs to be seen to impartial. I'm not saying he is biased, just that it should be at least a step removed from the powers that be.

It gives people a stick.
MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 04, 2009, 12:01:58 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 04, 2009, 11:39:13 AM

I was going to say Joe Keane Jr and maybe even Benson... FFS that FF line put the shits up any team in the county.

And the judges were:
Mayo GAA Board Secretary Seán Feeney
Midwest Radio analyst Eamon Clarke
Mayo News GAA writers Sean Rice and Austin Garvin

I dont rate any of them. Goes to show why football is fucXed in the county when these guys go round thinking they know something about it.

You are entitled to your opinion but if you think that the opinion of four football people on an awards scheme is what is wrong with football in the county, then you're way off. Things like this will always be subjective and, particularly in club football, people are only able to comment on games in which their own club played and maybe two latter stage games. I dare say these men saw more than that.

On your original points McGarrity is the one that stands out for me. I would have had James Kilcullen. Declan Sweeney was very good most of the year. He was taken off Dillon because he got booked and to be honest it was only after that that Dillon impressed if I recall correctly.
Mitchels and Shrule did well this year. Shrule got out of a tricky group and Mitchels made the last four. I think each of their players deserved inclusion on their own individual merits. Neil Douglas and Alan Feeney have been brought into the Mayo team on the back of it.

Kevin Keane marking Ciaran Walsh? Why should that affect things? They each played five games before that. And, for the record, once David Prendergast was sent off, Kevin Keane was the free man so your point is moot.

McDonald not getting a nomination? Deel Rover might be able to confirm but I think he missed the first two group games with the knee injury. He was good (not great) against Ballagh and was kept very quiet by Sweeney against Knockmore.

I think Deel is right about young Joe Keane. He's definitely one for the Under 21s next year. Such unbelievable pace.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Farrandeelin

I have to agree with RGS's assessment of Dec Sweeney. He did very well for a player who was injured last Spring to make himself into contention for these awards. He did well on Dillon until moved and McDonald, while he scored a few points was largely beaten by Sweeney. Maybe McGarrity's getting a sympathey vote because of what happened between him and the Crossmolina player. Joe Keane jnr deserved a nomination imo and is unlucky to be left out in the cold.