Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

How did Dara Mc Meel fare then for Charlestown folks?
County Material at all?

Farrandeelin

I'm sick of always ending on the losing side of finals, :-[ :'( but Charlestown deserved their win.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

joemamas

A great win for Charleestown, we were losing games ike that for twenty years. Terrible conditions, mistake ridden game, knockmore played on the line as usual, fair play to ref for keeping it in check, and to be honest there were times that they looked the hungrier of the two.

Delighted for Ginger and Aiden Higgins among others, great clubmen. Over 15 years each of senior club football.

A ton of ball was wasted and some serious improvement needed to go any further, two of the full forward were non existant for the entire game. Backs as a unit were very sound. I suppose all this is for further analysis.

Dara McMeel has been a big addition to Charlestown. Very steady corner/full back.

stephenite

What was the final score?

GBXII

McMeel cleaned up in the 1st half..Dermot Higgins had an excellent 2nd half, and Tiernan was everywhere all game. Hope they win Connacht now, when's the game against Castlerea?

joemamas

Quote from: GBXII on October 26, 2009, 12:53:01 PM
McMeel cleaned up in the 1st half..Dermot Higgins had an excellent 2nd half, and Tiernan was everywhere all game. Hope they win Connacht now, when's the game against Castlerea?

November 8th in Castlerea . On form they should win, but you wonder how long they will get away with a non existant full forward line. Need to look at again, but my guess is the stats are not pretty.

True Blue

I would like to congratulate Charlestown and in particular our own club man Darragh "THE LITE" McMeel in winning a county title with his new club. Our loss has definitely been Charlestown's gain. All in the Point wish Darragh the best of luck as he embarks on a Connaght title. If you read this Darragh or if anyone can pass the message on there are a number of boys waiting to get a drink out of the cup in the Bennett's back bar so when you return back north make sure to bring it with you.
;D

An Phointe Abu
The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you have lost.

Never beat the deeler

Congrats to Charlestown. Great persistance shown after the last couple of years. Amazing to think they havent won more, but makes this one a bit sweeter.
Some outstanding clubmen there that have given a lot of years

Hard luck to our neighbours, lack of firepower was understandably the downfall (from what I've heard)
Hasta la victoria siempre

macdanger2

Congrats to Charlestown, hope ye go on and win Connacht anyway - will need to improve a good bit to go any further than that though, esp in the forwards. Parsons needs to give more too.

The injuries to Kilcoyne and Munnelly definitely hurt us, 6 points says it all.....thought we would push on when we came back to level it with 15 to go but we never managed the lead score unfortunately. Massive point from Ginger was the turning point. If KO'N's shot in the first minute had gone in, it could have been a different story.....He didn't have his best day at the office but I hope he stays on and gives it another go next year, it's a young team and they need his experience and composure. Roll on 2010..............

AbbeySider

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 27, 2009, 10:48:26 PM
Congrats to Charlestown, hope ye go on and win Connacht anyway - will need to improve a good bit to go any further than that though, esp in the forwards. Parsons needs to give more too.

The injuries to Kilcoyne and Munnelly definitely hurt us, 6 points says it all.....thought we would push on when we came back to level it with 15 to go but we never managed the lead score unfortunately. Massive point from Ginger was the turning point. If KO'N's shot in the first minute had gone in, it could have been a different story.....He didn't have his best day at the office but I hope he stays on and gives it another go next year, it's a young team and they need his experience and composure. Roll on 2010..............

I would agree with a lot of that.
I think it was simply a lack of options upfront and a slight over reliance on K'ON that went against Knockmore. As we said, losing two decent forwards like that can be devastating. Charlestown were defending well too and seemed to spoil the Knockmore rallys in the second half. Knockmore will defiantly be a force to be reckoned with again next year.

It would be great to see Charlestown go far in the club championships. I think Mayo need a strong showing, so the best of luck to them.

Isnt it strange that its the older players that really showed strong in this years championship?

Argubably the best players were:

Ciarian McDonald
Kevin O Neill
Ginger Teirnan
James Nallen

Im not sure if its a reflection of the standard in the county or the greatness of these players.

Farrandeelin

Maybe it's a bit of both Abbeysider. Apart from O'Neill only McLoughlin and Howley impressed me from a Knockmore point of view on Sunday. Hopefully as you say Charlestown will represent Mayo well in the Connacht championship. Castlerea up next for them won't be easy and they will be under no illusions that it will either I'm sure. All we can do is wish them the best of luck and hopefully we will catch them next year!

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 28, 2009, 11:34:59 AM
Maybe it's a bit of both Abbeysider. Apart from O'Neill only McLoughlin and Howley impressed me from a Knockmore point of view on Sunday....

Yeah, McLoughlin did Ok when he was inside, he always looked dangerous but I was very surprised they bought out K'ON and eventually McLoughlin as Knockmore had no threat inside after that. I know Charlestown were on top at midfield but I would have left the two boys closer to goal where they could do some damage. Howley had a fine game, but he faded a bit in the second half.

GBXII

Charlestown Castlerea game is on in the Hyde on Sunday week, not Castlerea..

Farrandeelin

What fixtures are down for decision next weekend?

Farrandeelin

Knockmore lost by 2 points to Ballinrobe today. Best team won, I don't have the actual score because there was no scoreboard in the ground.