Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: blast05 on October 19, 2009, 09:38:31 AM
Quotebut probably should never have ended up in Junior.

Why ?? For the same type of reasons Newcastle 'should' never have got relegated from the Premiership ?!
If so then i don't buy it.
The only problem is its such a pity Ardnaree didn't beat them after the complete lack of respect they showed for the junior championship

Kilitmagh have nobody to blame but Aoibhinn Ní Shúilleabháin.  :P
She was the cause of them going down after she took them over after the intermediate final.
They reach a county intermediate final, lose by a point and a year later they are junior...

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 19, 2009, 12:30:25 PM

Why ?? For the same type of reasons Newcastle 'should' never have got relegated from the Premiership ?!
The only problem is its such a pity Ardnaree didn't beat them after the complete lack of respect they showed for the junior championship

She was the cause of them going down after she took them over after the intermediate final.
They reach a county intermediate final, lose by a point and a year later they are junior...

Sure they were doomed when someone from the Ballintubber club area came to 'coach' them!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 19, 2009, 12:56:33 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on October 19, 2009, 12:30:25 PM

Sure they were doomed when someone from the Ballintubber club area came to 'coach' them!

Ya have it now, that was the final nail in the coffin!  :D

Farrandeelin

For descartes. Charlestown to win by 6/7 points.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

stephenite

Knockmore to win by 57 points (yes, fifty seven) ;)

macdanger2

It will be tough for Knockmore with two of their top three forwards out - Munnelly and Kilcoyne - and with A Higgins picking up KO'N, we'll need a another big game from Gaughan and more scores from Howley who'll be playing in the forwards. I was relatively confident up until a week ago but having second thoughts on that now.....we've gone from 4/6 favorites out to 6/5 and the bookies are rarely wrong......

I think it'll be v tight as our backs should have the measure of their forwards, we will crowd midfield and if we can win as much ball as we did against cross, we might just sneak it in a poor enough game.....

macdanger2

A few interesting quotes from Kevin O'Neill in the mayonews....petty much bang on I reckon

QuoteMF: How does club football here compare with Dublin?
KO'N: I think the fitness levels in Dublin might be a little bit higher because games are played throughout the year and there are probably better facilities for strength and conditioning work. But there are definitely more natural footballers in Mayo. I would say you have much more time on the ball in Mayo too.

MF: How has club football changed here in the last ten years?
KO'N: It's not as physical now as it was ten years ago. A back gets away with a lot less now. Maybe the standard of refereeing has improved but maybe that doesn't do fellas any favours when they go in with the county team. Lads have to toughen up a bit and not expect frees for every little thing.

MF: What do you think can be done to help Mayo win that All-Ireland?
KO'N: It's going to take an awful lot of hard work and maybe a re-evaluation of how we're doing things in Mayo. For me, the footballers in this county are every bit as skilful as any players in Ireland.
I've been fortunate in Dublin to be have played with, and be exposed to, a lot of guys with All-Ireland medals, guys like Kieran McGeeney and Enda McNulty. The level of intensity and the attitude they bring to their game is crucial. Mayo have the talent but seem to be lacking in terms of the character and the attitude that you need to win at the highest level.
I think we're just a bit too nice as well, we're probably short a few lads who play on the edge. I'm not talking about being dirty but football is a very physical game at times. We're short that type of player, who can have a powerful effect on teams and cancel out the opposition's attacking threat.

Foreverhopeful

The 2 finalists should go up from junior into inter. It's ridiculous that only one team should go up. There are teams in intermediate that should be relegated.  Ardnaree would prosper in intermediate, they play very good football.

Ardnaree's doherty looks a prospect. Any other prospects from either team maybe for some county recognition perhaps? Junior finalists tend to get a few token places in fbd.

Farrandeelin

Maybe you're right about having 2 finalists promoted Foreverhopeful but Ardnaree would have to forget about their second half performance if they're to thrive at any level!

Brick Tamlin

folks, was just interested to see how Down native Dara Mc Meel is shaping up playing in defence for Charlestown. i believe he is getting regular game time for the sarsfields.
Can anyone give more information.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on October 22, 2009, 01:28:05 PM
folks, was just interested to see how Down native Dara Mc Meel is shaping up playing in defence for Charlestown. i believe he is getting regular game time for the sarsfields.
Can anyone give more information.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6788&Itemid=39
http://www.charlestownsarsfields.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=223&Itemid=1

Farrandeelin

Feck it, we're gonna win it I think... I can feel it in my bones now at this stage! I dunno what the turnaround is from a few days ago! :)

StoneWall

Westport back to senior. Westport 2-7 Tourmakeady 0-12. Tourmakeady finished with 13, one sent offf after 20 and one with a few to go. Damien Keane was the main man scoring 2-4.

AbbeySider

Quote from: StoneWall on October 24, 2009, 05:37:25 PM
Westport back to senior. Westport 2-7 Tourmakeady 0-12. Tourmakeady finished with 13, one sent offf after 20 and one with a few to go. Damien Keane was the main man scoring 2-4.

Westport hung on by a thread. Tourmack rallied well with 13 men against the wind.

AbbeySider

Hard luck to Knockmore earlier. Munnelly and Kilcoyne were huge losses.
Tiernan was inspirational for Charlestown, who deserved their win.