Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 11, 2009, 01:38:17 PM
Bonniconlon beat Louisburgh in the Intermediate relegation play-off 0-17 to 1-6 in  Breaffy. Louisburgh gone Junior. Twas sad to see them go down without a whimper. They've fallen back an awful lot and it is hard to see them coming back up any time soon.

I hear Austy is transferring down for next season.
If so, they will be back up next year.

Davitt Man

Has anyone the fixtures for next weekend yet??

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 12, 2009, 09:05:45 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 11, 2009, 01:38:17 PM
Bonniconlon beat Louisburgh in the Intermediate relegation play-off 0-17 to 1-6 in  Breaffy. Louisburgh gone Junior. Twas sad to see them go down without a whimper. They've fallen back an awful lot and it is hard to see them coming back up any time soon.

I hear Austy is transferring down for next season.
If so, they will be back up next year.

I wouldn't bet on it. In fact I'll bet you they won't!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ballinaman

Catlebar....the most improved team in Mayo?? Fair few good minors coming through too. Also, any chance of changing the colours, feel ill after watching a game with the red and yellow jerseys.....

AbbeySider

Quote from: ballinaman on October 12, 2009, 01:23:14 PM
Catlebar....the most improved team in Mayo?? Fair few good minors coming through too. Also, any chance of changing the colours, feel ill after watching a game with the red and yellow jerseys.....

I would love to have gotten them this year.

ballinaman

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 12, 2009, 02:12:00 PM

Thats what Shrule thought too. Put up a good show against Charlestown.

AbbeySider

Quote from: ballinaman on October 12, 2009, 04:44:51 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on October 12, 2009, 02:12:00 PM
Thats what Shrule thought too. Put up a good show against Charlestown.

Shrule were very, very poor though. I expected more from them.

muscles magoo

Quote from: Davitt Man on October 12, 2009, 09:25:34 AM
Has anyone the fixtures for next weekend yet??

West Mayo National Schools Football League Semi Final Fri 16 Oct at
> 5.00
>
> Ballintubber V Burrishoole, Ref: Andrew Hawkshaw in Ballintubber;
>
> Westport V Breaffy, Ref: John McHale in Westport;
>

>
> Welcome Inn Senior Football League Division 1A Sat 17 Oct at 4.30
>
> Breaffy V Westport, Ref: Martin Walsh in Breaffy;
>
> Charlestown V Ballina Stephenites, Ref: Declan Corcoran in
> Charlestown;
>
> Crossmolina V Shrule-Glencorrib, Ref: Peter Geraghty in Crossmolina;
>
> Knockmore V Moy Davitts, Ref: Dennis Harrington in Knockmore;
>

>
> Welcome Inn Senior Football League Division 1F Sat 17 Oct at 4.30
>
> Ardmoy B V Swinford B, Ref: Richard Cosgrove in Ardmoy B;
>
> Kilfian V Cill Chomáin B, Ref: Michael Herr in Kilfian;
>
> Davitts B V Ballinrobe B, Ref: Martin Costello in Davitts B;
>
> Aghamore B V Westport B, Ref: Gerry Carmody in Aghamore B;
>
> Kilmovee V Achill B, Ref: John Boyle in Kilmovee;
>

>
> County Under 21 B Football Championship Sat 17 Oct at 2.30
>
> Ballyhaunis V The Neale, Ref: Liam Higgins in Castlebar;
>
> Linesmen: Jimmy Feeney and Pat Conlon
>

>
> County Minor B Football Championship Semi Final Sat 17 Oct at 4.00
>
> Bonniconlon V Charlestown, Ref: Mel Kenny in Castlebar;
>
> Linesmen: Jimmy Feeney and Pat Conlon
>

>
> Bord na nOg Under 18 Football League Division 1 Sat 17 Oct at 5.00
>
> Ballintubber V Knockmore, Ref: Michael Moran(C) in Ballintubber;
>

>
> Bord na nOg Under 18 Football League Division 3 Sat 17 Oct at 5.00
>
> Shrule-Glencorrib V Breaffy, Ref: Padraig Costello in
> Shrule-Glencorrib;
>

>
> Bord na nOg Under 13 Football League Division 1 Final Sat 17 Oct at
> 12.00
>
> Moy Davitts V Ballaghaderreen, Ref: Michael Lenehan in Charlestown;
>
> Linesmen: Martin Roughneen and Tommy Warde
>

>
> County Minor A Football Championship Semi Final Sat 17 Oct at 2.00
>
> St. Gerards V Castlebar, Ref: Vincent Neary in Ballinrobe;
>
> Linesmen: Sean Reilly and Michael McHale
>

>
> Welcome Inn Senior Football League Division 1A Sun 18 Oct at 12.00
>
> Ballaghaderreen V Ballinrobe, Ref: Vincent Neary in Charlestown;
>

>
> County Intermediate Football Championship Semi Final Sun 18 Oct at
> 3.45
>
> Tuar Mhic Éadaigh V Béal an Mhuirthead, Ref: Michael Daly in
> Castlebar;
>
> Linesmen: Peter Geraghty and John McHale
>

>
> County Junior Football Championship Final Sun 18 Oct at 2.00
>
> Kiltimagh V Ardnaree, Ref: Kevin Connelly in Castlebar;
>
> Linesmen: Padraig Costello and Eamonn McAndrew
>

>
> Bord na nOg Under 15 Football League Division 2A Sun 18 Oct at 12.00
>
> The Neale V Moy Davitts, Ref: Jimmy Feeney in Ballyheane ;
>

>
> West Mayo National Schools Football League Final Fri 23 Oct at 5.00
>

>
> County Senior Football Championship Sat 17 Oct at 4.00
>
> Burrishoole V Moy Davitts, Ref: Liam Higgins in Crossmolina;
>
> Linesmen: Michael Herr and Benny Holmes
>

>
> County Intermediate Football Championship Final Sat 24 Oct at 4.00
>
> Tuar Mhic Éadaigh or Cill Chomáin or Béal an Mhuirthead V Westport, in
> Castlebar;
>

>
> County Senior Football Championship Final Sun 25 Oct at 3.30
>
> Knockmore V Charlestown, Ref: John Hughes in Castlebar;
>
> Linesmen: Martin Murphy and Dennis Harrington
>

>
> County Minor A Football Championship Final Sun 25 Oct at 1.30
>
> Kiltimagh V St. Gerards or Castlebar, in Castlebar;
>

StoneWall

What are the odds for the junior final? I fancy Ardnaree especially if they see the interview below. A few crazy statements before a ball is kicked!

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7856&Itemid=39

EARLIER this year Tomás Morley organised a 'bonding weekend' for his Kiltimagh team-mates in Achill as they prepared to embark on life in the Mayo Junior football championship.
Just two years after running Ballintubber close in the County Intermediate final, Morley knew that Kiltimagh had to try and get their heads around being relegated to 'Junior'.
Mick Regan had just taken over as manager, Brian Cunningham and Martin McCaffrey were on board as his selectors, and now there were decisions to be made.
Kilti' could wallow in self-pity and spend years trying to get back to Intermediate, or they could get busy winning matches and bounce back straightaway. Tomás Morley, a veteran of the good and bad times with Kiltimagh, sensed the mood.
During their time in Achill, each Kiltimagh player was asked to write his ambitions for the year on a sheet of paper. One stood out.
"Ciaran Charlton's," recalled Mick Regan last week. "He was a young player who was going to be with the Mayo minors again this year, but he said his ambitions were to make the Kiltimagh senior team and help them get out of junior." The Mayo minor's words spoke volumes.
Next Sunday Kiltimagh are appearing in their first Mayo Junior Final since 1967. Why? Because they hadn't been relegated back down to that grade until late in 2008. Forty-one years of playing in the upper echelons of Mayo club football and then bang. They were down.
Mick Regan was the man charged with getting them back up again. Winning Division 1C of the Welcome Inn League constituted a good start for the former Mayo Gaels footballer.
"Winning the league was a bonus really," the manager told The Mayo News last week. "Our main aim was to get out of junior because we'd just slipped down there and it was important to get out again as quickly as possible.
"I feel we have a group of players good enough to be challenging for an Intermediate title but we took some teams for granted last year and we are where we are now."

THEIR route to the final has been fairly straightforward. Group wins over the B teams from Ballintubber and Claremorris, as well as Lacken, were followed up by knock-out victories against Castlebar B and The Neale in the semi-final.
"The standard of football in the competition wasn't great, to be honest," admitted Mick Regan. "Castlebar B, I felt, were the best team by a mile that we played all year. We haven't played well in our last couple of games though, and we didn't open up against The Neale either in the semi-final.
"It goes without saying that when you play better teams, you play better football," he added. "We have a very good minor team in the club at the moment. I think five of them will probably be playing on the senior team next year and it's important that those lads are playing football at a high level, against better footballers."
Kiltimagh have spared no effort in running a well-oiled operation this year. Training has alternated between the manager, his selectors, and the panel's two most experienced players, Peter Burke and Tomás Morley. Mayo selector, Kieran Gallagher, has also taken a few sessions to shake things up a little. The end product has given the club's loyal supporters something to be proud of.
"There's a massive football following in the town and they're looking forward to the match," said Mick Regan. "For us, and for the players, this is a game that we have to win. With all due respect, we don't want to be playing in county junior finals.
"If we play to our potential, we're good enough to win it. If we play to our potential, we're probably good enough to win it fairly easy. But a final is a final and God knows what will happen on Sunday."
Regardless of the outcome, Mick Regan doesn't know if he will be in charge of Kiltimagh again next season. He works in the construction business and may have to leave Ireland if the recession hits his line of work hard enough. But that is a decision for another day. Right now, all that matters is next Sunday.

RedandGreenSniper

Yeah unbelievable arrogance from the manager. I think Ardnaree are 2/1 and they don't deserve to be that long.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Farrandeelin

I will be cheering on Ardnaree on Sunday. Hope they can do it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

As do the West Bank of the Moy! Good luck Ardnaree

moysider

Quote from: moysider on September 24, 2009, 09:53:56 PM
Quote from: Foreverhopeful on September 24, 2009, 09:16:44 PM
Who the favourites for the junior?

I ve a sneaking for Ardnaree.

Fancied them all along and I ll be seriously rooting for them. I ll even darken the door of McHale Park for this one. Cant believe the interview the Kiltimagh manager gave above. Something tells me he has nt done his homework and is going with some fanciful notion of where his club should be in the scheme of things. Whatever about his team this guy deserves a bit of grief.

fearsiuil

Quote from: moysider on October 13, 2009, 11:34:26 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 24, 2009, 09:53:56 PM
Quote from: Foreverhopeful on September 24, 2009, 09:16:44 PM
Who the favourites for the junior?

I ve a sneaking for Ardnaree.

Fancied them all along and I ll be seriously rooting for them. I ll even darken the door of McHale Park for this one. Cant believe the interview the Kiltimagh manager gave above. Something tells me he has nt done his homework and is going with some fanciful notion of where his club should be in the scheme of things. Whatever about his team this guy deserves a bit of grief.

Went to school with Mick (Micheál way back then) and I can vouch for him being a sound bloke. I'd say his lack of experience dealing with the media is glaring in that interview, not a very well thought out piece. Hope his words don't come back to haunt him !

stephenite