Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 25, 2009, 05:31:32 PM
Breaffy and Castlebar are the one parish you see. There's a rough guide to where the 'border' is but it tends to just work out that whoever goes to school in Breaffy plays for Breaffy and whoever goes to school in Castlebar plays for Mitchels. There is little to stop either club objecting to a player transferring from one club to another. But both clubs seem to have an unwritten agreement that it is not taken advantage of.

I am aware of brothers who have played against each other for the two clubs. The clubs had no difficulty with it but the parents were being closely watched for favouritism. 
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 25, 2009, 05:42:51 PM
That's like Ballina and Ardnaree so, except there is a border which was roken in favour of the Stephenites a few years ago at underage.

Care to divulge how this exactly happened?

Farrandeelin

Well there was a young fella on the Ardnaree side of the Moy who ended up playing for Ballina. Ardnaree were very bitter towards losing him. He didn't feature much this summer though and he would be in the u-21/Senior bracket.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Well there is a player who started all the Championship matches this year from Ardnaree on the current team. I think it's a case of wanting to play senior football in this situation which is different from Castlebar and Breaffy, which are both senior. The geography is different also, for example like with Muredachs being in Ardnaree whilst being the main Ballina male secondary school.

Mayo4Sam

So what, if u want to play senior its alright to move club? There wouldn't be a decent player left in a junior club if that was the case but then kilfian already bear witness to that. By ur rationale i could play for ballina or moy davitts having gone to school in both foxford & ballina & kevin o'neill could declare for tuam stars. Theres borders there for a reason, in most cases they are clearly defined
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 25, 2009, 06:59:24 PM
So what, if u want to play senior its alright to move club? There wouldn't be a decent player left in a junior club if that was the case but then kilfian already bear witness to that. By ur rationale i could play for ballina or moy davitts having gone to school in both foxford & ballina & kevin o'neill could declare for tuam stars. Theres borders there for a reason, in most cases they are clearly defined

Chillax, just saying it could have been a possible reason! Everyone to their own. Personally i don't agree with any club/county switches. Up to each individual if they wish to change in reality!

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 25, 2009, 06:23:57 PM
Well there was a young fella on the Ardnaree side of the Moy who ended up playing for Ballina. Ardnaree were very bitter towards losing him. He didn't feature much this summer though and he would be in the u-21/Senior bracket.

Lots of Ardnaree players have transferred to Ballina over the years. But lets be clear that its player driven. If there is bitterness it should be towards the players who decide they want to move.

There is a parentage rule too. One lad moved the other way this year.

I know that 4 transfer requests were put in earlier this Summer from the Ardnaree U16s. They were in division 5 or 6 and their better lads wanted out.  Understandably it was blocked. Dont think they played any football after for the club. One of them is an outstanding prospect and would be a major loss. I would expect him to be a 2 year county minor.

rosnarun

This could save all the rows or start more
does the parish law relate to church or civil parishes?
Fair play to the mayo library the have the 1838 Ordance survey maps online and it looks like breaffy (Breaghwy) is its own parish
ITs well worth a look it even has such obscure places as farrandeelion(Farrandeelin) on it

http://www.mayolibrary.ie/maps/gisMap.htm?Townlands%20/%20Towns%7CAJB%7CBreaghwy%7CF120%7C52926%7C40540%7C00079%7C1066%7C1819%7C00079023%7C418%7C571%7CsymRectL%7Bw%7Cmain%20web%20page%7C./data/Townlands/AJB.htm

also to annoy sigonian here a list of annexed sligo territory
http://www.mayolibrary.ie/maps/data/Parishes/p53.htm
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Bomber2312

Ya have the wrong club for me there!

stephenite

I saw an Ardnaree team list last year in the Western, at least 4 players has played underage with me in the Stephenites

Farrandeelin

Quote from: rosnarun on August 25, 2009, 11:40:19 PM
Fair play to the mayo library the have the 1838 Ordance survey maps online and it looks like breaffy (Breaghwy) is its own parish
ITs well worth a look it even has such obscure places as farrandeelion(Farrandeelin) on it

http://www.mayolibrary.ie/maps/gisMap.htm?Townlands%20/%20Towns%7CAJB%7CBreaghwy%7CF120%7C52926%7C40540%7C00079%7C1066%7C1819%7C00079023%7C418%7C571%7CsymRectL%7Bw%7Cmain%20web%20page%7C./data/Townlands/AJB.htm

The shaggers can never spell Farrandeelin right. There's no o in the word!

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 26, 2009, 08:38:11 AM

Ardnaree looks like it's been wiped off the map too. Well thats one way to settle an argument!

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2009, 05:55:35 PM
Breaffy and Castlebar are the one parish you see. There's a rough guide to where the 'border' is but it tends to just work out that whoever goes to school in Breaffy plays for Breaffy and whoever goes to school in Castlebar plays for Mitchels. There is little to stop either club objecting to a player transferring from one club to another. But both clubs seem to have an unwritten agreement that it is not taken advantage of.

I am aware of brothers who have played against each other for the two clubs. The clubs had no difficulty with it but the parents were being closely watched for favouritism.

That rings a bell but I can't place them. Care to fill me in? There's two brothers who will be playing against each other in a couple of years as well
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 26, 2009, 10:37:02 AM
Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2009, 05:55:35 PM

That rings a bell but I can't place them. Care to fill me in? There's two brothers who will be playing against each other in a couple of years as well

One played for Parke and the other played for Breaffy if im thinking of the same brothers...

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ballinaman on August 26, 2009, 09:24:21 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 26, 2009, 08:38:11 AM

Ardnaree looks like it's been wiped off the map too. Well thats one way to settle an argument!

Usually it's Ardnaree (or Shanaghy) or vice versa.