Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muscles magoo

Quote from: Davitt Man on August 18, 2009, 04:28:21 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on August 18, 2009, 04:26:18 PM
Quote from: Davitt Man on August 18, 2009, 03:53:19 PM
Quarter-final dates remain uncertain 
THE draw for the quarter-finals of the Mayo senior and intermediate football championships will take place on Monday, August 31 in the TF Royal Hotel, Castlebar.

Its a killer having to wait two weeks to know who you are playing !!!

Its all because of that shambles in the intermediate group between belmullet swinford & davitts.

Does anyone know why Davitts handed a walk over to Belmullet anyway?? If you ask me Belmullet & Swinford should progress and punish Davitts for handing a walk over to belmullet.

In fairness they didn't hand anyone a walkover. Davitts V Belmullet was originally postponed due to the death of a young lad in Ballindine. It should have been played within 13 days but because Mayo were playing the Connacht final this couldn't happen and Belmullet were awarded the game and the points.

It does raise again the thorny issue of getting games, especially championship games postponed/called off etc in these circumstances.

Davitt Man

Quote from: muscles magoo on August 18, 2009, 04:41:45 PM
Quote from: Davitt Man on August 18, 2009, 04:28:21 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on August 18, 2009, 04:26:18 PM
Quote from: Davitt Man on August 18, 2009, 03:53:19 PM
Quarter-final dates remain uncertain 
THE draw for the quarter-finals of the Mayo senior and intermediate football championships will take place on Monday, August 31 in the TF Royal Hotel, Castlebar.

Its a killer having to wait two weeks to know who you are playing !!!

Its all because of that shambles in the intermediate group between belmullet swinford & davitts.

Does anyone know why Davitts handed a walk over to Belmullet anyway?? If you ask me Belmullet & Swinford should progress and punish Davitts for handing a walk over to belmullet.

In fairness they didn't hand anyone a walkover. Davitts V Belmullet was originally postponed due to the death of a young lad in Ballindine. It should have been played within 13 days but because Mayo were playing the Connacht final this couldn't happen and Belmullet were awarded the game and the points.

It does raise again the thorny issue of getting games, especially championship games postponed/called off etc in these circumstances.

Ok thanks for the update, sounds like this could have been handled alot better given the circumstances

Farrandeelin

Abbeysider, it was Michael Daly from Ballyhaunis who was reffing the Knockmore/Ballina game.

Bit of a shambles having to wait for the draw cos of an Intermediate playoff. Could they not have put Belmullet and Davits back to 2 points and let them play off against each other to see who joins Swinford?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Davitt Man on August 18, 2009, 04:51:07 PM
Ok thanks for the update, sounds like this could have been handled alot better given the circumstances

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 18, 2009, 07:37:27 PM
Bit of a shambles having to wait for the draw cos of an Intermediate playoff. Could they not have put Belmullet and Davits back to 2 points and let them play off against each other to see who joins Swinford?

I think they had to consult with HQ regarding the rules because, as far as I know, something similar was voted on in congress in the last few years.
Rules are rules in these cases I suppose so you have to go by the book.

But its certainly a pain, I think they should run those games off asap, even having a game midweek if it was possible.
The anticipation of the draw in unbearable!

Im going to throw out the question....

Who would you guys like to get in the quarters?  ;D

western exile

Why must the senior and intermediate draws be made on the same day?  Why not make the senior draw now (in public as planned), and then do the intermediate one after the 3 way playoff is concluded?

Mayo4Sam

From our point of view we'd have to try & avoid cross, i presume we cant get them, charlestown & ballagh. Out from that i think we'd have a 50-50 shot at any of the other teams. I'd imagine kiltane will be looking to avoid a north mayo team, they don't promote the same fear they wld in the likes of tubber or shrule
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

muscles magoo

Quote from: western exile on August 19, 2009, 12:02:23 AM
Why must the senior and intermediate draws be made on the same day?  Why not make the senior draw now (in public as planned), and then do the intermediate one after the 3 way playoff is concluded?

A fair question I would have thought.

For those of you that don't know - Davitts will play Swinford in the first playoff game, winner to top the group. Loser will play Belmullet for runner up spot.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 19, 2009, 10:07:55 AM
From our point of view we'd have to try & avoid cross, i presume we cant get them, charlestown & ballagh. Out from that i think we'd have a 50-50 shot at any of the other teams. I'd imagine kiltane will be looking to avoid a north mayo team, they don't promote the same fear they wld in the likes of tubber or shrule

We can't get Crossmolina, but can get other group winners (Ballagh finished 2nd in their group). Kiltane could end up with Crossmolina. I wouldn't mind seeing James Horan in the flesh, to see if he's all what I make him out to be as a manager ;). I wouldn't like Charlestown, I think they'll give the county title a good joust this year.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 19, 2009, 03:14:35 PM

We can't get Crossmolina, but can get other group winners (Ballagh finished 2nd in their group). Kiltane could end up with Crossmolina. I wouldn't mind seeing James Horan in the flesh, to see if he's all what I make him out to be as a manager ;). I wouldn't like Charlestown, I think they'll give the county title a good joust this year.

so we can be drawn against ballagh Farrendeelin .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Farrandeelin

I think so. At least one of ye'd be out of the way then!!

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 19, 2009, 03:18:07 PM

if we were to meet them i'd rather meet then in the next round as they wouldn't have hanley back from australia who is a big plus for them .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AbbeySider

As far as I know its a seeded draw. The winners of one group will meet the team placed 2nd in another group.
But I have also heard that that is changing this year so I dont know what to believe. (RedandGreenSniper might shed some light on this ;-) )
I dont think they would change the seeded draw system as that would mean teams wouldnt go all out to top a group.
That scenario could lead to all sorts of problems....

Anyway I think this is how it goes. The top seeds vs the runners up in the groups...

Charlestown or Crossmolina or Shrule/Glencorrib or Ballintubber
Vs
Castlebar or Knockmore or Ballaghaderreen or Kiltane

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 18, 2009, 11:50:23 PM
Who would you guys like to get in the quarters?  ;D
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 19, 2009, 03:14:35 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 19, 2009, 03:32:31 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 19, 2009, 03:18:07 PM
if we were to meet them i'd rather meet then in the next round as they wouldn't have hanley back from australia who is a big plus for them .

Regarding who we get in the next round; I dont really mind.
Its great to be back in the quarters again this year so anything else after that is a bonus.
And we will get our day out in McHale park... sure what more would you want...
;) :P

StoneWall

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 20, 2009, 10:06:02 AM
As far as I know its a seeded draw. The winners of one group will meet the team placed 2nd in another group.
Anyway I think this is how it goes. The top seeds vs the runners up in the groups...

Charlestown or Crossmolina or Shrule/Glencorrib or Ballintubber
Vs
Castlebar or Knockmore or Ballaghaderreen or Kiltane

You can't get some one from the same group either so on that basis it narrows it down further:

Charlestown Vs Knockmore or Ballaghaderreen or Kiltane
Crossmolina Vs Castlebar or Ballaghaderreen or Kiltane
Shrule/Glencorrib Vs Castlebar or Knockmore or or Kiltane
Ballintubber Vs Castlebar or Knockmore or Ballaghaderreen

Knockmore or Ballaghaderreen are the ones to avoid for the group winners. I doubt any of them will fear Castlebar or Kiltane

AbbeySider

Quote from: StoneWall on August 20, 2009, 01:49:44 PM
You can't get some one from the same group either so on that basis it narrows it down further:
Knockmore or Ballaghaderreen are the ones to avoid for the group winners. I doubt any of them will fear Castlebar or Kiltane

Forgot to mention that bit in bold!

I know I have asked you this before... (and you avoided the question  ;) )

but...

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 19, 2009, 10:27:28 AM
What club are you from anyway StoneWall?  ;)

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 20, 2009, 02:13:39 PM
Quote from: StoneWall on August 20, 2009, 01:49:44 PM

Forgot to mention that bit in bold!

I know I have asked you this before... (and you avoided the question  ;) )

but...

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 19, 2009, 10:27:28 AM
What club are you from anyway StoneWall?  ;)

Wouldnt it be great if there was a facility on the site where everyones club and county were displayed beside there posts  ;)
Hasta la victoria siempre