Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 22, 2009, 02:53:11 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 22, 2009, 02:45:39 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 22, 2009, 11:53:25 AM
i'd say your right there stephenite. Still can't believe he hates us lot as much as ye boys

Well I hate the both of ye in equal measure as well. And I know full well ye (Ballina and Cross) hate us as well, so what's the major issue???

no issue at all farandeelin i said it with my tongue firmly in my cheek  ;) 

Good, you had me worried there Deel, after the recent shenanigans between yourselves and Ballina, it was surprising that a Ballina man and Crossmolina maN would attack Knockmore when we weren't even involved! Then again, anything is possible!! ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

Whatever Ballina player was involved in dishing out retribution should get a ban as well - you can't stand on someones head and expect to get away with it. Maybe not as long as the Cross player but both deserve a good long ban if the case can be proven.

If necessary, serious consideration should be given to throwing both teams out of the championship at all age levels for the next five years. ;)

McG played ok on Sunday, did very well considering he was probably conscious of getting a belt in the face. He'll have had 4 weeks recovery by the time we play the Q/F so he should be grand. Midfield as a whole needs to improve the next day regardless of who we play, Galway wouldn't be regarded as having a top midfield - can't believe Parsons was left on the bench for as long as he was.

Farrandeelin

I see the next games in the group stages are down for August 8th/9th. IF we get Meath/Limerick/Roscommon, will it be put back for one week I wonder?

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 22, 2009, 02:45:39 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 22, 2009, 11:53:25 AM
i'd say your right there stephenite. Still can't believe he hates us lot as much as ye boys

Well I hate the both of ye in equal measure as well. And I know full well ye (Ballina and Cross) hate us as well, so what's the major issue???

Maybe I m not a normal clubman but I can honestly say I do not and never have hated or despised the neighbours. On the contrary I have the height of time and respect for both clubs and what they ve achieved down the years. I always like to get their matches in as well as much as I can. I dont get the antipathy that appears to exist. Of the two neighbours I would have more time for Knockmore, only because I would know many of their players as well as most that wear green and red. I must say I would always feel that if we cant win Mayo then I d rather see Knock' or Cross' win it before 'outsiders' from other parts of the county. I ve always reserved my intense dislike for enemies of the county team than local raiders. Maybe in the light of recent happenings and posts on here I need a reality check and get real and start developing an intense dislike of anything in maroon or primrose and blue and not just Ros and Galway.

With all this local dispisement and hatred going around maybe it would be a good idea to defer all rounds of the championship until Mayo finish up in the championship. If anything these club games are more intense than inter- county games. There are more hits as the pace is slower and traffic heavier. The Knock'/Ballinrobe and Ballina/Cross were both very abrasive and to expect county players to come through these matches unscathed is an act of  faith and my faith isn't the best. County players are targeted in these games anyway so they re at more risk than anybody. If the County championship does not resume until the end of September I d be delighted.

RedandGreenSniper

Yeah Moysider I hear what you are saying but is it fair to leave 90% of club players scratching their holes while Mayo are still involved? I don't think so. Finish the next round and close to half the clubs will be out of championship so can start to wind down their training which would be fairer imo.

On McGarrity I can't believe our ability to knock our own. He might not be everyone's favourite player but he is a player who should be long past due respect. Playing the last day was a selfless act. His bravery needs to be commended, not that the injury should be made light of.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stephenite

Everyone wants to get one over on their neighbours, it's the normal scheme of things that happens everyday in every country in the world. I recall seeing a Sligo league game between Enniscrone and Easky, kicked the fecking heads off each other and mild apparently compared to when the Castleconnor lads come to the beach.

I'd have a healthy enough attitude towards the Knockmore contingent, more of them came into Ballina for secondary education therefore the matches could be more vicious but it would nearly always be left on the pitch. That's just down to knowing people better and having a laugh everyday in school

I'd have a very healthy attitude towards most of the Crossmolina lads as a lot of them would've been on a National school team managed by Costello that played against us down the Quay - but a lot of the Ballina 'town' lads would view them fairly suspiciously, they'd rarely come up to the club house for a drink after a game, and in the later underage games there's always be some hangover from someone stealing someones young one in the Dolphin - there were some vicious nights out there when there was no referee or linesman to intervene!

Funnily enough, from the lads I know from both clubs, I'd imagine that Knockmore and Cross probably hate each other just that bit more than anyone else, but I suppose each generation has it's own story to tell.

NTW - with regards to suspending club championship, non-runner.

moysider

Of course it s a non - runner. And it would not be fair on the club players and club management either. I accept that. But there s bound to be casualties.

And if we even lose one of many - say Trevor, Alan Dillon[probably most precious] Andy, Peadar or AOS for instance, our chances will be greatly diminished.

My own view is that too much is expected of the county players at this time of year. It also looks like the local stuff is the biggest show in town. Fine but i would nt be optimistic about the big picture 'county' unless attitudes change a lot.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: stephenite on July 23, 2009, 11:59:15 PM
Everyone wants to get one over on their neighbours, it's the normal scheme of things that happens everyday in every country in the world. I recall seeing a Sligo league game between Enniscrone and Easky, kicked the fecking heads off each other and mild apparently compared to when the Castleconnor lads come to the beach.

I'd have a healthy enough attitude towards the Knockmore contingent, more of them came into Ballina for secondary education therefore the matches could be more vicious but it would nearly always be left on the pitch. That's just down to knowing people better and having a laugh everyday in school
I'd have a very healthy attitude towards most of the Crossmolina lads as a lot of them would've been on a National school team managed by Costello that played against us down the Quay - but a lot of the Ballina 'town' lads would view them fairly suspiciously, they'd rarely come up to the club house for a drink after a game, and in the later underage games there's always be some hangover from someone stealing someones young one in the Dolphin - there were some vicious nights out there when there was no referee or linesman to intervene!

Funnily enough, from the lads I know from both clubs, I'd imagine that Knockmore and Cross probably hate each other just that bit more than anyone else, but I suppose each generation has it's own story to tell.

I'd probably fit into both of those brackets as stephenite mentioned. But I was delighted when both clubs brought honour to Mayo when winning the All-Ireland.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 24, 2009, 11:55:48 AM
Quote from: stephenite on July 23, 2009, 11:59:15 PM

I'd probably fit into both of those brackets as stephenite mentioned. But I was delighted when both clubs brought honour to Mayo when winning the All-Ireland.

Obviouly not everyone feels that way in Knockmore!
I heard a story(from a Knockmore person) that when Cross won their last club All-Ireland, the Knockmore team didnt clap them onto the pitch, as is the tradition.

Lots of scelping ensued in that game... there was probably a few posters playing that day? 

Mayo4Sam

I wasn't playing. I remember in '97 at the team meeting the nite before they read out some of the messages we had received, all wishing us luck. We got one off every club in mayo bar cross. I supported them both days they were in the final. As for ballina, i was told by a county player that he hoped we got bet out the gate, he proceeded to put the boot in after we lost, left a sour taste. The going to school things works both ways, i've loads of time for some of the ballina players, v good friends, but by the same measure i know what knobs some of them are away from the pitch as well
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 24, 2009, 12:21:07 PM
I wasn't playing. I remember in '97 at the team meeting the nite before they read out some of the messages we had received, all wishing us luck. We got one off every club in mayo bar cross. I supported them both days they were in the final. As for ballina, i was told by a county player that he hoped we got bet out the gate, he proceeded to put the boot in after we lost, left a sour taste. The going to school things works both ways, i've loads of time for some of the ballina players, v good friends, but by the same measure i know what knobs some of them are away from the pitch as well

you did well to get any messages at all Mayo4sam ;) :D  in fairness i think that any one that has played for any of clubs against each other definately have a respect for each other. At the last championship match against knockmore i met loads of knockmore lads that i had played against and had a great auld chat talking about how the auld days and all the off the ball hitting that used to be going on , even had a pint with them :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

RedandGreenSniper

Pure bandit country up there in north Mayo. Its a good job the likes of Kilfian, Lacken and Ballycastle aren't up in senior as well, then we'd have WW3!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ludermor

I long for the day when Kiltane will hold their own in the slating stakes again!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 24, 2009, 02:07:41 PM

you did well to get any messages at all Mayo4sam ;) :D  in fairness i think that any one that has played for any of clubs against each other definately have a respect for each other. At the last championship match against knockmore i met loads of knockmore lads that i had played against and had a great auld chat talking about how the auld days and all the off the ball hitting that used to be going on , even had a pint with them :D
You were a lucky man then to have left the place in one piece.
In my day, (fado, fado) you'd have needed a sharp pointed stake and a clove or two of garlic to have any chance of getting out alive.   ;D
Mind you, Ballina and Cross weren't much friendlier either.
In fact, the same could be said for nearly all of the others clubs in the county.
Except of course, my own beloved Swinford!
Back then, beloved Swinford were better known for kicking the crap out of each other than for putting it up to the opposition, any opposition.
Did any of ye here ever get the line for clocking one of your own men, right in front of the ref?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

stephenite

But that's just life, there's knobs every where you go, including North Mayo - there were 'antics' from certain members off that particular Knockmore team after they won the county title that continue to leave a sour taste, went way over the mark and that's the reason a lot of members of the Stephenites were happy to see them beaten out the gate in Croke Park. It was by no means representitive of the Knockmore club I might add, just a few.