Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Just back from a week at home (feck me that's some trip for a wedding, with a nice drive through Keenagh on the way to the reception and how do ye get away with that been in Crossmolina anyway, closer to Boston than Cross, no end to ye're cheating!! ;)) and the anger is not subsiding - but some of the players were very quick to point out to me that a large number of the Cross players came up and apologised at the final whistle, the usual old timers, but gestures that were appreciated none the less.

To the article from Laffey (and I'm no fan) but can anyone point out what it is that causes offence in that piece?

Farrandeelin

OK, I just thought it was a bit wrong to have it on the week that we should be concentrating on Galway.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

Quote from: stephenite on July 17, 2009, 04:13:14 AM
Just back from a week at home (feck me that's some trip for a wedding, with a nice drive through Keenagh on the way to the reception and how do ye get away with that been in Crossmolina anyway, closer to Boston than Cross, no end to ye're cheating!! ;)) and the anger is not subsiding - but some of the players were very quick to point out to me that a large number of the Cross players came up and apologised at the final whistle, the usual old timers, but gestures that were appreciated none the less.
To the article from Laffey (and I'm no fan) but can anyone point out what it is that causes offence in that piece?
hopre you enjoyed the scenery  cant believe you could tear your self away to Oz again after seem the the beauty of the bogs.
the main objection to laffeys piece is the whole judge and jury aspect of it when eye witness accounts vary greatly as to how the row started and who threw what. and If Ronan plays sunday it obviously wont have been the killer punch ir was 1st described as. not accusing him of faking  as there were cracks in his cheek .
But inital reports were of a shattered jaw when he was taken completely unaware , and this seem to be the take mr Laffey has on the situation.
Let the investigation be completed then hand out bans as necessary but please no Hysteria
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on July 17, 2009, 08:02:42 PM
Quote from: stephenite on July 17, 2009, 04:13:14 AM
hopre you enjoyed the scenery  cant believe you could tear your self away to Oz again after seem the the beauty of the bogs.
the main objection to laffeys piece is the whole judge and jury aspect of it when eye witness accounts vary greatly as to how the row started and who threw what. and If Ronan plays sunday it obviously wont have been the killer punch ir was 1st described as. not accusing him of faking  as there were cracks in his cheek .
But inital reports were of a shattered jaw when he was taken completely unaware , and this seem to be the take mr Laffey has on the situation.
Let the investigation be completed then hand out bans as necessary but please no Hysteria

There is no Hysteria Ros. There is a bit of anger about and that s understandable.

There was no row though, and Ronan did nothing to warrant the attack except for being disliked a lot by some of his opponents for reasons that I m sure are perfectly reasonable to them. Ronan and if he plays on Sunday has nothing to do with it. It was a killer punch. It caused cracks/fractures in a cheek bone. A cheek bone is not a light bulb and does nt break easily. Now you seem to believe that when his cheek bone did not collapse and fall off on the pitch its no big deal. Wrong. Ronan and the lad that threw the punch are both lucky. The blow was only fractions from eye-socket damage and sight loss/damage that often goes with that territory. Both parties have a lot to be relieved about and maybe its a lesson that will be learned from. I doubt it though.

You use phrases like 'judge and jury' and ' eye witness accounts vary greatly'. First of all accounts are remarkably similar. Alright one lad on here said that if McG 'stayed away' it would nt have happened. That would indicate his very presence on the field warranted a thump.  Does that do his mate any favour ? Now 'judge and jury' is a usual PROVE IT approach that does nt reflect well on the user. Have a look at the X- Rays.

As usual when investigations start the waters are muddied. Instead of just concentrating on the first minute incident we get a scattergun, diluted approach. Notice how you say 'bans' Ros, not ban. Did more than one fella lamp Ronan?  No, only one. Yet you are talking about bans. Maybe Ronan should be banned too for having a glass cheek or falling over?  JM wrote about a bad tempered match over the hour. F**k the hour. People only want to know about the first act. What happened after was only the result of the opening line. Like the old detective series. Corpse in first scene. Next hour sorting it out.

Instead of sorting out the substantive case we get bogged down with supporting acts. It s a bit like Lee Harvey, getting shot, getting as much attention as JFK.

JM also mealymouthed about ' if any player from either team broke the law blah,blah and blah then... full rigours blah, blah and blah. Fair play. This is exactly what most streetwise managers would do in his situation. Know I would. Be concerned but dont sell out.  And it also influences proceedings coming from somebody with his weight in the county. In effect he s saying - Go ahead and punish our fella, if ye can find him, but ye have to take out the lad that skulled him as well so as to balance the books.

The Inquisition would be proud of this approach. Why burn just one witch while we re in town? There s bound to be another around somewhere - especially when the first troublesome one has a bloody nose.

The 'clash of heads' thing is something that JM should have cleared up last week and has not reflected well on him, the player involved, or most importantly the club. A lot of people I ve met who were not at the game are convinced because of what JM said that Ronan was headbutted. Is that better than the truth? Tangled web and all that.

The funny thing is that Ballina may end up the biggest losers in this, especially if video is necessary to prove a point. The.. er, challenges on the boxer are on video because they were 'on the ball', or near enough to be caught - mind you the ref saw and ignored them. Maybe he ll be banned too.

There were 3 people recording the match. That none of them showed what happened is surprising. It happened within 10 metres of the ball so one of them bound to get it you would expect. But it appears only one recording was examined? What happened other 2 I wonder. Maybe they ll appear on YTube eventually.

As regards Sunday I hope management make the right decision about playing McG. He got little time after coming back after cancer before being dismissed. You d wonder what people would expect of him with only a broken face to worry about?

rosnarun

we disagree on whether accounts were similar or not , so be it but remember the talk about flaling arms thumps punches ect. there is another view out their that there was an altercation in which blows were exchanged but one party decided to use perhaps more force than was necessary. this would warrant a ban for both parties with the Crossmolina man getting the heavier one ,
the other story being the offence was all one one side in which i would see the cross man getting a lenthy ban. but 1st the case must run due course.
And the other unsavory incident which were equally bad esp the boot to the face must be treated with equal seriousness even though it does not involve a county player.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on July 18, 2009, 02:02:14 AM
we disagree on whether accounts were similar or not , so be it but remember the talk about flaling arms thumps punches ect. there is another view out their that there was an altercation in which blows were exchanged but one party decided to use perhaps more force than was necessary. this would warrant a ban for both parties with the Crossmolina man getting the heavier one ,
the other story being the offence was all one one side in which i would see the cross man getting a lenthy ban. but 1st the case must run due course.
And the other unsavory incident which were equally bad esp the boot to the face must be treated with equal seriousness even though it does not involve a county player.

With respect Ros county player nothing to do with it. As I recall Johnno - in a famous interview - mentioned yer man as being one of the development squad [not too far off county according to the main man] a couple of years ago, at home building himself up on weights. Little did Johnno know the same lad would come back to trouble him. While he s staring down the barrel of a  3-0 deficit to Galway in 3 years, without his best primary ball winner.

The boot incident was a reaction to the first. Sad it came to that.  I still remember the ref and linesmen leaving the pitch having a laugh like it was great craic. Now they got abuse too [like when linesman X saw and reported a red card offence but had missed the main event earlier - that went down a treat]. It was like water off a ducks back to him. I have my doubts about what they saw or saw not.  I dont doubt the refs integrity or the linesmen's as such but both linesmen are too close to both teams to be impartial or beyond influence. Expedience is the name of the game. I mean can a Kerryman living in Moygownagh for 30 years and a Bonniconlon man melt into the background if they start pointing fingers in a Ballina/Cross match. They work with these people etc, etc. Now they got a lot of flak for seeing nothing . But it s easier to take flak for keepin your mouth shut than squealing on somebody. Especially if that 'somebody' whacks somebody that you feel might be too big for their boots. Comprendre? It happens. Looks like we need linesmen and umpires from far away.

muppet

Ros as your campaign for justice for this Cross player gathers momentum can you tell me this? Has that player ever broken another player's jaw or something similar before?
MWWSI 2017

stephenite

Quote from: muppet on July 18, 2009, 11:04:17 AM
Ros as your campaign for justice for this Cross player gathers momentum can you tell me this? Has that player ever broken another player's jaw or something similar before?

Now you're just being awkward.

But I'll let Ros answer the question.......... Ros?

Mayo4Sam

i hear both the cross lad & ballina lad are facing 6-15 month bans. Brady is suspended for 1 game rather than wks, suits us down to the ground. Moy i cant believe ur defending the ballina lad, he's sound, one of the few i'd say that about, & not known for his dirty play but if he raked his boots across a man's face well then he'll have to take his punishment. Just to throw a spanner in the works, didn't look like a whole lot wrong with mcg yesterday! 
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

moysider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 20, 2009, 09:40:51 AM
i hear both the cross lad & ballina lad are facing 6-15 month bans. Brady is suspended for 1 game rather than wks, suits us down to the ground. Moy i cant believe ur defending the ballina lad, he's sound, one of the few i'd say that about, & not known for his dirty play but if he raked his boots across a man's face well then he'll have to take his punishment. Just to throw a spanner in the works, didn't look like a whole lot wrong with mcg yesterday! 

Not defending anybody - he got his retribution in and he ll take his punishment. Somebody had to.

As regards your spanner. Are you suggesting there was never anything wrong or are you remarking on how well he performed with fractures in his face?

Mayo4Sam

I'm saying reports of his demise were greatly exaggerated

moysider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 20, 2009, 06:51:49 PM

Nothing was exaggerated. Maybe he should get some credit about going out yesterday and playing for his county with a broken face?

Farrandeelin

Anyone know when the next round of league games are on?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: moysider on July 05, 2009, 09:41:59 PM
Just heard the break has been confirmed. Ballpark 2 months.

Would you call the above a sligth exaggeration or spot on?
Dated 5th July

stephenite

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 20, 2009, 06:51:49 PM

And I hope he shoves it up ye ;D