Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 10, 2009, 10:09:15 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 10, 2009, 05:31:25 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 09, 2009, 12:16:42 AM
rosnarun, what club are you from? Is it Crossmolina? I've always thought you were, but maybe I'm wrong.
well keenagh really but the club is in a state of slumber this last few years so i'll have to stick my allegiances to our under age club Deel rovers

go on the red and white (we'll be back)
Keenagh GFC north mayo winter league champions 1990

i played in that game ros  we won it in moygownagh have the picture of that team at home a great day . a few of us got a call up from the late great  mattie heffernan now we didn't exactly live in keenagh but sure we were close enough ;)
interesting , you have the advantage over me i reckon. u from Creevy maybe?
toward the end 'Keenagh' kinda expanded alright and got too successive esp at getting young lads togging out  , didnt suit the committe men in the town . not that I bear a grudge . still the amount of quality players the played for us over the years made it a worthwhile adventure , kept a lot of lads playing bith at the beginning and the end of their adult careers , best was providing the midfield of mayo minors  one year with real keenagh men , and we have a great bunch of young lads still coming through .one on last years under 21 team and i reckon well have 2 minor in 2 years time.
a bunch of them won a pioneers all-ireland Gaelic football and a soccer final a few weeks back , some serious quality .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

highking

Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2009, 12:00:50 PM
Looks like you were both doing that research at the same time. Great work though I have to admit I wouldn't get a lot of them.

No research required. All from memory. Took about 10 minutes to type out though....

venter

Quote from: rosnarun on July 11, 2009, 10:24:04 PM

well keenagh really but the club is in a state of slumber this last few years so i'll have to stick my allegiances to our under age club Deel rovers

go on the red and white (we'll be back)
Keenagh GFC north mayo winter league champions 1990

Funnily enough Ros, I heard last week that Keenagh were back training on monday nights. I dont know how they plan to enter the Junior Exclusive , as they were taking about entering it as a Crossmolina 4th team. I think JG Barrett might be the organiser of it.

rosnarun

quick where are me boots.
Cant believe they can get the numbers . I doubt if there are 15 men between the ages of 16 and foty left in the area let alone lads willing/able to play football , even JG himself is pushing 40. the kilmurry border would have to be well breeched again. when the Bord was going well we had an inter area league in Keenagh with Shrahmore as invited guests . ended in a row every night

Farrandeelin

Is Keenagh in Crossmolina parish?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 13, 2009, 11:23:08 PM
Is Keenagh in Crossmolina parish?
yes well  wirh the exception of some small bits that are technically in addergoole but we keep quiet about that . lots of keenagh is nearer newport than Crossmolina, so in years gone by travelling up to 15 miles to training wasnt really an option on yer bike or shanks mare

Farrandeelin

I sat down and had a proper look at the Western today, Christ Crossmolina are getting an awful going over from the editor James Laffey. It even made the non-sport section on the front page.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 15, 2009, 12:44:31 PM
I sat down and had a proper look at the Western today, Christ Crossmolina are getting an awful going over from the editor James Laffey. It even made the non-sport section on the front page.

Is there a link to that one?

the Deel Rover

he is a f**king pri*ck excuse my french . what did he say farrendeelin i didn't read it but it doesn't surprise me that he has a go at us . he is so far up o'mahony's hole its unreal some of the stuff he wrote about ciaran mc last year was terrible especially after all the years service he gave to mayo .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 15, 2009, 04:27:57 PM

he is a f**king pri*ck excuse my french . what did he say farrendeelin i didn't read it but it doesn't surprise me that he has a go at us . he is so far up o'mahony's hole its unreal some of the stuff he wrote about ciaran mc last year was terrible especially after all the years service he gave to mayo .

Wasn't Laffey doing some coffin dancing on John Maughan's last day in charge as well? I sometimes worry that he's more a populist than a football man. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Farrandeelin

'No place for violence in Mayo GAA

One of Mayo's leading footballers, Ronan McGarrity has been left with a fractured cheekbone. He sustained the injury while playing for his club, Ballina Stephenites, against neighbours, Crossmolina, in a championship encounter on Sunday week last. Only a fool or a knave - to paraphrase Shakespeare - would claim that McGarrity's injury was anything other than intentionally inflicted by a player from Crossmolina.

There were seven officials in charge of the game. It appears that none of them saw the incident that led to McGarrity's injury. There was an estimated one thousand spectators in the stand who have offered differing accounts of the off-the-ball incident but who are universally agreed that the incident involved foul play of the worst kind. Ballina supporters, in particular are outraged and saddened that such an appaling injury could be inflicted on one of their finest players.

If Ronan McGarrity were to sustain the same injury on a street in Ballina next Saturday night the perpetrator would face the minimum of a suspended prison sentence. The culprit would also be shunned by civilised society for what he undoubtedly is - a thug who believes it is acceptable to inflict serious injury on another person. Yet in the GAA, players who commit grievous assaults are often able to escape unpunished; those who are banned usually appeal the decision and get a reduced sentence. It is a preposterous situation and it is doing untold damage to a voluntary sporting organisation that should be the epitome of fair play and honesty.

The GAA's ambivalence to violence has never been so starkly evident as in the McGarrity case. Seven officials at various vantage points around James Stephens Park have told us they saw nothing; it is the equivalentof seven gardaí being at the scene of an assault and claiming in court they know nothing of the incident. It would be laughable if it were not so serious.

Ultimately though, clubs must take responsibility for the consequences of their players. Crossmolina GAA club is one of the most respected sporting organisations in Co. Mayo. It has brought honour and glory to the county at provincial and national level; its members are among the finest in the GAA. These people need to stand up and be counted. There is an onus on them to seak out against the wrongdoing that occurred in Ballina last Sunday week. Officials at the club must have the courage to resist the temptation to protect the perpetrator of this cowardly deed. He should be named and shamed.

The Crossmolina manager, John Maughan, claimed in the aftermath of the game that Ronan McGarrity was injured in "a clash of heads". If that is the case Mr Maughan should name the individual who was involved in this so-called clash of heads and let that person come forward and explain the precise details of the incident.

The McGarrity episode is not going to go away and it will have to be confronted at the highest level in GAA in Mayo. Both the County Board and Crossmolina GAA club need to show leadership and they need to show it fast. They would be fools to underestimate the level of public anger and disquiet that this ugly episode has provoked across the county.'

Farrandeelin

That was the section on P18 beside 'Editor's Chair'

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 15, 2009, 06:32:10 PM
That was the section on P18 beside 'Editor's Chair'

Can you point out what in particular offends you?
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Well, it's just that if he had written it last week it would be more understandable and appropriate. We should all concentrate on Galway this week, that's all. I know what happened should not be condoned either.

rosnarun

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 15, 2009, 08:51:04 PM
Well, it's just that if he had written it last week it would be more understandable and appropriate. We should all concentrate on Galway this week, that's all. I know what happened should not be condoned either.
yes lets get back to this next week or sent him a few of these pages so he can decide if all the eyewitness's here are ' universally agreed that the incident involved foul play of the worst kind.'