Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on July 07, 2009, 12:41:10 PM
As why Ronan has been targeted so much. He s good but probably seen as somebody that can be roughed up. All that nonsense about him being a converted basketball player does nt help. Real footballers seem to fancy a piece of him. Jack O Connor s bit about him in his book interesting.

Is that the hair roughing incident with the Gooch?
I thought at the time it was totally provocative and there was absolutely no need for it.

Something about McG seems to get under peoples skin though.

moysider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 07, 2009, 12:47:41 PM
What did he say about ronan moysider ?

Basically before 04 final Kerry were bemused by all the press Ronan was getting and how effective he was in his first year in senior football never having kicked a ball in his life. A lot of silly spin from here[which I ve gone into before] did nt help.

Anyway the Kerry boys used it as motivation. It was a case of who does this basketball player who never played football in his life think he is taking on The Kingdom s finest. O Connor said he could nt concieve a rookie in his first year being able to cope with likes of Dara O Sé s physicality.

If he had Brady beside him that day he would have had some chance.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: moysider on July 07, 2009, 02:03:55 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 07, 2009, 12:47:41 PM
What did he say about ronan moysider ?

Basically before 04 final Kerry were bemused by all the press Ronan was getting and how effective he was in his first year in senior football never having kicked a ball in his life. A lot of silly spin from here[which I ve gone into before] did nt help.

Anyway the Kerry boys used it as motivation. It was a case of who does this basketball player who never played football in his life think he is taking on The Kingdom s finest. O Connor said he could nt concieve a rookie in his first year being able to cope with likes of Dara O Sé s physicality.

If he had Brady beside him that day he would have had some chance.

don't get me started   >:(  we never learn do we
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Mano

Is the perpetrator the same fella who was sent off a few years ago in a county final against Ballaghdereen for having a walk on an opponents back?

muppet

Quote from: venter on July 07, 2009, 09:58:01 AM
Quote from: muppet on July 06, 2009, 08:00:05 PM

Venter I wasn't at the match. But tell me this, is Ronan McGarrity known for picking fights or not? Condescending my arse.

Muppet, The first time I saw Ronan playing championship football was against Galway in 2004, and no less than Kevin Walsh was laying into him with digs to the ribs. The following game against the rossies, he had Seamie O'Neill wound up like a clock. This was manna from heaven for a mayo fan. He dominated two much more experienced players and he was not afraid to get involved with a bit of needle.

The following year against Armagh, the outstanding midfielder of the decade, Paul Mcgrane, threw a kick at Ronans head while he was lying prone on the ground ( a fairly cowardly act i might add). In 2006, Ciaran Whelan, blatantly tried to decapitate Ronan in front of 80,000 people. If these are all isolated incidents, then Ronan is fierce unlucky

So yes, I do think Ronan is able to get involved in a bit of messing, and I also think we wouldn't be half the team we are, if he wasnt shaking things up like he does.

Moysider, when this investigation starts, the stamping incident perpetrated on the Crossmolina player will surely be investigated also.

Regardless, when you think about the amount of work that each county player puts in, it is truely sickening that he will miss the rest of the season

On the contrary. If as you suggest, he deserved all that violent attention, that you personally witnessed, and you still can't point to a single act perpetrated by McGarrity himself, I'd say he is incredibly lucky.
MWWSI 2017

venter

I dont think he deserves any violent attention and I wish you wouldnt attribute that kind of bullshit to me. I simply pointed out a few cases where he got harsh treatment. Why are you trying to make more out of it?

I'm making a point that its in his game to stir things up which I have no problem with. You obviously think otherwise, we'll leave it at that.

AbbeySider

Is that a bit of a stretch Moy?
Are you saying that opinions posted here is held in that high regard that it would be used like that?

It was the local media, Maughan and Liam McHale that originally spun the idea of McG being a complete unknown basketball player, never kicked a ball etc.

It did come up in a topic in recent months on this board but its a bit large to say that "spin" or anything posted on this board in '04 or '06  didnt help.

moysider

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 07, 2009, 04:44:48 PM

Is that a bit of a stretch Moy?
Are you saying that opinions posted here is held in that high regard that it would be used like that?

It was the local media, Maughan and Liam McHale that originally spun the idea of McG being a complete unknown basketball player, never kicked a ball etc.

It did come up in a topic in recent months on this board but its a bit large to say that "spin" or anything posted on this board in '04 or '06  didnt help.

Sorry. When I said here I meant Mayo sources at that time. As you say the stuff Batman and Robin  spun at the time. I was nt talking about our tuppence at all but I can see how it could have read that way.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Davitt Man on July 07, 2009, 09:21:27 AM
and its not the first time this fella has broke a mans jaw.....

That's why I came out with the statement M4S. You shouldn't be on a football field breaking people's jaws. OK, if it was an injury picked up challenging, then McG would be unlucky but I was replying to Davitt Man.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on July 07, 2009, 05:12:06 PM
Sorry. When I said here I meant Mayo sources at that time. As you say the stuff Batman and Robin  spun at the time. I was nt talking about our tuppence at all but I can see how it could have read that way.

Good man, thanks for clearing that one up.

On the topic, I remember when Alan Dillon was "taken out" in a club game last year. A severe late hit came in off the ball that lead to hematoma bruising all down his side. If im not mistaken he was out for the Sligo game because he had to have an operation to remove the bruising. He was also injured but played through it when we took on Moy-Davitts last year in the championship.

The crazy thing is that it looked premeditated. I have heard a few things since the incident that would point in that direction, which is very sad.

And to make it worse... it was only a Kelly Cup game.

muppet

Quote from: venter on July 07, 2009, 04:22:54 PM
I dont think he deserves any violent attention and I wish you wouldnt attribute that kind of bullshit to me. I simply pointed out a few cases where he got harsh treatment. Why are you trying to make more out of it?

I'm making a point that its in his game to stir things up which I have no problem with. You obviously think otherwise, we'll leave it at that.

Venter if your clubman threw a punch in the first minute of a game that broke a guy's cheekbone it is indefensible. There is no excuse. Saying it was a stupid act and then making a number of posts attacking the integrity of the victim of the punch is a cop out.

McGarrity is an amateur who has represented his county and his club with distinction. He deserves better, especially from his countyman.
MWWSI 2017

venter

Hang on a second muppet. You asked a question and I answered it, and now that you don't like the answer you are accusing me of attacking Ronan mcgarrity's integrity in a numer of posts. Why did You ask a question if you didn't want an answer. And I'm certainly not attacking his integrity by the way so again why don't you just stop trying to put your own interpretation on my thoughts. I do not think he derserves any violent attention and Do not question his integrity. He is a competitive sportsman who tries to get an edge.. What's wrong with that? 

Terry Tate

Quote from: muppet on July 07, 2009, 07:16:48 PM

Venter if your clubman threw a punch in the first minute of a game that broke a guy's cheekbone it is indefensible. There is no excuse. Saying it was a stupid act and then making a number of posts attacking the integrity of the victim of the punch is a cop out.

McGarrity is an amateur who has represented his county and his club with distinction. He deserves better, especially from his countyman.

But Ronan is only the victim because he tried to hit Henry first. That is a fact. Ronan may have only waved his arm towards Henry but he still made the first move. If that didnt happen then we wouldnt be having this argument.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Terry Tate on July 07, 2009, 08:26:04 PM

But Ronan is only the victim because he tried to hit Henry first. That is a fact. Ronan may have only waved his arm towards Henry but he still made the first move. If that didnt happen then we wouldnt be having this argument.

Ah now TT, in all fairness, he must have hit him pretty hard to warrant the response he got, and I don't think he did in fairness.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Terry Tate on July 07, 2009, 08:26:04 PM

Mother of God. That beats the devil out of hell. If everybody threw a haymaker every time a hand was lofted or waved we would nt have games at the weekend.
There is a trust in contact sport. There has to be. Most players know where the line is and dont cross it most of the time. Most players have a sense of morality on the pitch and dont deliberately maim an opponent. Those that do should be dealth with severely and continuously until they cop on.

Saying Ronan made the first move is like saying a young fella who tried to fend off the neighbourhood bully was asking for the crap to be bet outa him. Ronan is the victim here. No chance trying to spin like he s anyway blameful.