Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Claremorris 2-6 Knocmore 1-9 in the u-21 A Championship group C. I only found out now by searching the club results of the weekend on mayogaa! :-[
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 22, 2009, 06:23:10 PM
Claremorris 2-6 Knocmore 1-9 in the u-21 A Championship group C. I only found out now by searching the club results of the weekend on mayogaa! :-[

Claremorris are an up and coming club so I wouldnt be too upset. They are a big town with a bigger pick of players.
Dont worry, we lost to Aughamore last year in the U21 and won the competition in a canter in the end.

Bod Mor

Quote from: FL/MAYO on June 11, 2009, 02:22:38 PM

Have not seen this goal in over 20 years, Brogan against the Dubs, I thought it was at the Hill End he scored it how time plays tricks with your memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX5D6q6D5Dg&feature=channel_page

I've heard abot that goal in folklore but it's the first time I've seen it. DROOOL!!! :o
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

muppet

Quote from: FL/MAYO on June 11, 2009, 02:22:38 PM

Have not seen this goal in over 20 years, Brogan against the Dubs, I thought it was at the Hill End he scored it how time plays tricks with your memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX5D6q6D5Dg&feature=channel_page

I was sitting on the very top of the Canal End wall and nearly fell the 30 feet over the other side when that hit the net.

Funny how no one celebrates quite like he did, a big lep and then run off with an imaginary wheelbarrow.
MWWSI 2017

AbbeySider

Quote from: muppet on June 24, 2009, 02:34:26 AM
Funny how no one celebrates quite like he did, a big lep and then run off with an imaginary wheelbarrow.

:D

An Gaeilgoir

I was at that game as well in the Hogan right be side where he kicked the ball, Aidan O Shea reminds me of Brogan, in so many ways. After the match all the young Dublin bucks were throwing stones at the bus which was parked on the north strand, telling us to get on our tractors culchies and so on. One of the lads who didn't go to the match (spent the day on the beer) took off after one of the boyos and caught him, brought him on to the bus and told him he was heading for Castlebar for a life of spuds and fresh air. The bus pulled off and the young buck started crying. We dropped him off at aorund the five lamps, he got out and next thing there was a bombardment of rocks and sticks from every angle. Yer mans mates had set up an ambush. The bus had a few cracked windows after that. We had to stop off at every town on the way home becuase of the shock..... What if we won that match? how different would Mayo be now?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on June 25, 2009, 02:10:34 PM
What if we won that match? how different would Mayo be now?

Ye would have ben hammered by Kerry in four AIF's instead of three, that's all.  :P

StoneWall

The divisional underage competitions appear to be being done away with.

Going on the U-14 championship fixtures that were sent out they seem to be adopting the adult championship model at underage now. An open draw with group stages involved. Not sure I agree with this. Winning a divisional competition at least gave some clubs a chance of success and it also removes the local rivalry element.

One advantage is that players will get three games in the championship. Mind you they have A, B, C and even D competitions in the U-14!

the Deel Rover

Quote from: StoneWall on June 26, 2009, 09:40:55 AM
The divisional underage competitions appear to be being done away with.

Going on the U-14 championship fixtures that were sent out they seem to be adopting the adult championship model at underage now. An open draw with group stages involved. Not sure I agree with this. Winning a divisional competition at least gave some clubs a chance of success and it also removes the local rivalry element.

One advantage is that players will get three games in the championship. Mind you they have A, B, C and even D competitions in the U-14!

Have great memories of the under 14 championships that was the 1st county title our group of players won. We won it 2 years in a row and both years we went down to Cork to represent mayo in the feile. the 1st year we stayed with Nemo rangers were a young Colin Corkery was playing against us and winiing the free taking competions its funny then that around 10 years later both clubs would be meeting again in 2 Ai club finals , the 2nd year we stayed with Brian Dillions great memories  :) 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

REDCOL

The Bord Na Nog have brought it into U14 for a one year experiment, they will then get feedback from clubs at next years AGM. It was felt last year that Claremorris were getting no competition in South Mayo and they were often undercooked when they got to county semi finals. I have some sympathy with this argument, but it was a wonderful night a couple of years ago when Garry beat them in a Minor A Final and really got the local rivalry going again

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: REDCOL on June 27, 2009, 10:16:16 AM
The Bord Na Nog have brought it into U14 for a one year experiment, they will then get feedback from clubs at next years AGM. It was felt last year that Claremorris were getting no competition in South Mayo and they were often undercooked when they got to county semi finals. I have some sympathy with this argument, but it was a wonderful night a couple of years ago when Garry beat them in a Minor A Final and really got the local rivalry going again

I remember that well because we were the west champs and were planning to play Claremorris in the semi-final. Garrymore beating them wasn't even considered! South Mayo is a valid case I guess because Claremorris win too often - I'd say they've won 80% of the A titles at U-14, U-16 and Minor. But West Mayo is incredibly competitive. Any year you could have Castlebar, Westport, Breaffy and Ballintubber in with a great shout. It will be interesting to see how it goes but I do prefer it the old way.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Farrandeelin

Why could the County Board not put all games down for decision this weekend at some stage this evening, therefore freeing supporters to attend tomorrow's Minor game. No, Instead of that, despite all the chopping and changing Knockmore play Westport at 2pm tomorrow despite having 2 players on the Minor panel! I'd like to see both games!! (And maybe take in a bit of the Galway/Sligo game as well)

Farrandeelin

It was nice to see the Independent yesterday having the full results and league tables. Anyway, roll on next weekend for more championship action. In our group, I can't see Cross troubling Ballina, while Knockmore hopefully should beat Ballinrobe. What's everyone elses opinions?

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 30, 2009, 08:29:26 AM
It was nice to see the Independent yesterday having the full results and league tables. Anyway, roll on next weekend for more championship action. In our group, I can't see Cross troubling Ballina, while Knockmore hopefully should beat Ballinrobe. What's everyone elses opinions?

Thats a big call  :o
Why dont you rate Cross this year? With Maughan at the helm id say they are very serious contenders.
There are always a good championship team, I havnt seen them in action this year yet, but its very hard to write them off.

Their league and championship form is not all that different.
Cross have a lot of draws and Ballina have lost 2 games in the league.

Cross drew with Moy-Davitts, and Ballina lost to them them.
Cross also drew with Knockmore and Charlestown but Ballina lost to Ballinrobe.

The Deel Rovers are the ones with the unbeaten run so far so I fancy them.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 30, 2009, 01:22:39 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 30, 2009, 08:29:26 AM

Thats a big call  :o
Why dont you rate Cross this year? With Maughan at the helm id say they are very serious contenders.
There are always a good championship team, I havnt seen them in action this year yet, but its very hard to write them off.

Their league and championship form is not all that different.
Cross have a lot of draws and Ballina have lost 2 games in the league.

Cross drew with Moy-Davitts, and Ballina lost to them them.
Cross also drew with Knockmore and Charlestown but Ballina lost to Ballinrobe.

The Deel Rovers are the ones with the unbeaten run so far so I fancy them.

Na Abbeysider Farrandellin is right, them knockmore bucks love writing us of  ;) :D In fairness we had a good win at the weekend and are 2nd in the Leauge a point behind Charlestown. If we could get some sort of a result on sunday  we should then have a few weeks before the next match and hopefully we should have a full suad to pick from by then.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001