Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 02, 2009, 03:14:11 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on June 02, 2009, 09:50:37 AM
Quote from: moysider on June 01, 2009, 11:12:42 PM
Quote from: REDCOL on June 01, 2009, 03:21:51 PM
He lined out at wing forward in the U-21 semi-final and his man ran riot

Quite. Not surprised with that. This is the thing. Not only was he cleaned V Down, he had come on for injured Freeman v Ros and was instrumental in their recovery in that match before being taken off agains. Yet he was picked again, showing a few classy moments against Sligo, when they were bet, and against any sane man s judgement he was given a start against Down. But the comforting thing is that managemant wont be troubling us again, right?

But who are these managers in waiting? I hope its not who I think your referring to. Not like we have a top rugby team ar anything to start caring about around here.

Im not so sure Moy, id say they have their eye on the big prize of Senior management after John O Mahoney. Thats a scary thought as the selection this year on the Mayo U21 panel was crazy as I said before. Two players on the panel from Hollymount, Connelleys home club, who dont even have an U21 side of their own. Six minors from last year that were brought straight in - a year too early in five cases. Not playing Alan Freeman or Jason Gibbons. Playing players out of position. The list is endless. Not only was the selection crazy but they got away with never publically naming a squad in any of the papers or on the radio. When did that ever happen? The U21 management are totally at fault this year.

Quote from: moysider on June 01, 2009, 11:12:42 PM
Another thing. I have nt come across Jason Gibbons much but people that have were talking him up as a serious player. Yet when we were taking in water at midfield during the U21 championship( this happened in the Galway, Roscommon and Down games) and needed a dig out in midfield there was no sign of him. Was he injured or what?

Jason was unlucky with an injury early in the season but he recovered fine and was fit for those games. He wasnt given a chance but he was not the only one. Im not blowin our own trumpet but Michael Nestor, Ruaidhri O Connor, Liam Tunney and Jason Gibbons are as good as if not better than what was there this year. Those players have an U21 club county medal in their pockets and they wiped Westport in the final, and are playing unreal stuff at Senior level but they didnt get a look in. Go figure.

Nonsense about last year's minors Abbeysider. Hennelly, Kevin Keane, Aidan O'Shea and Cathal Freeman all had to start. So too Shane Nally if he didn't pick Colman's. It was a big ask though of John Broderick and Eoghan Reilly. I've said before that team selections are the weakness of the U-21 management. Brian Gallagher ahead of Gibbons was crazy and Gibbons showed the folly of that call on Saturday. He was immense and, if he wants to, will be playing with Mayo sooner than later (senior that is).
Ballintubber look very, very good and they're well tuned in and focused on what they want. They are a team to watch.
As for Breaffy, not a lot to say, stunk the place out in Charlestown.

My view is that selection probably the most important aspect of management. If they cant get some of the more obvious things done right then what can they be trusted to get right I wonder. Remember how late they stumbled on Kevin McLoughlin. They are by no means tactical geniuses either. Easily outwitted by Pete McGrath. The last 3 times they have been easy meat outside Connacht and winning Connacht usually a 2/3 horse race against familiar sides. I think Galway have won AI twice ut of last 2 Connacht winning teams. Any notion of these fellas taking over at senior would want to be put to bed early before it starts getting credibility. It would be an easy cop out for board instead of going after a proper coach.

Farrandeelin

Seen as you've brought up the next Mayo manager. Johnno won't last forever (if he loses to Galway he'll leave after we lose our next game be it in qualifiers etc.). Who would the rest of you like to see as the next manager of the senior team? Personally, I'd like to see James Horan been given a go at the job. He makes sense most time he writes in the Western and he seems astute as well. Then again, the rest of ye will probably find fault in him. Or will it be a third time lucky for Maughan? ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 04, 2009, 12:36:51 PM
Seen as you've brought up the next Mayo manager. Johnno won't last forever (if he loses to Galway he'll leave after we lose our next game be it in qualifiers etc.). Who would the rest of you like to see as the next manager of the senior team? Personally, I'd like to see James Horan been given a go at the job. He makes sense most time he writes in the Western and he seems astute as well. Then again, the rest of ye will probably find fault in him. Or will it be a third time lucky for Maughan? ;)

Ballintubber will hold on to James Horan for a while yet I hope! A club Senior title could be on the cards in the next few years.
If Holmes and Connelley left the U21 setup last year or the year before they would be in with a shout. Id say Ray Dempsey could be in with a shout too. Would Maughan be a step backwards? I dont think so as he has gotten the closest in recent years. A manager can bring you to the line, its the players that have to cross it.

moysider

I d like to see Dempsey do the U21 job for a while. In fact I thought he would go up last year. It would have been the obvious step. We ve seen all we need to of the other ones at this stage. Dempsey coming close to almost taking out a very good Tyrone minor team stands comparison with any achievement by any Mayo management. If we re to have a new man soon we need to go outside and get a coach up north again. Likes of McIvor way ahead of anything homegrown. A mix of Northern practicality and tactical appreciation needed to temper our natural flippancy towards coaching and tactics.

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on June 04, 2009, 01:19:38 PM

I d like to see Dempsey do the U21 job for a while. In fact I thought he would go up last year. It would have been the obvious step. We ve seen all we need to of the other ones at this stage. Dempsey coming close to almost taking out a very good Tyrone minor team stands comparison with any achievement by any Mayo management. If we re to have a new man soon we need to go outside and get a coach up north again. Likes of McIvor way ahead of anything homegrown. A mix of Northern practicality and tactical appreciation needed to temper our natural flippancy towards coaching and tactics.

After a statement like that I think MoySider should be the next Mayo manager. Barney as selector.  ;)  :D

moysider

Heard O Neill s red card was overturned Wed night. Apparently video showed he did not connect with the Crossmolina player.

Farrandeelin

Good. The Crossmolina player involved was Mark Leonard, the Leonards would do anything to get Knockmore men in trouble.

ludermor

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 05, 2009, 02:24:38 PM
Good. The Crossmolina player involved was Mark Leonard, the Leonards would do anything to get Knockmore men in trouble.
What are you saying?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ludermor on June 05, 2009, 02:59:25 PM
What are you saying?

Johnny Leonard disliked Knockmore. I remember him sayiing to the crowd in 2003 league final 'We have them now', before that last minute goal!!! ;D

RedandGreenSniper

Dillon got off too. Rightly so.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

The flame still burns

AbbeySider

This weekends league results.

Welcome Inn Senior Football League Division 1A:
Ballina Stephenites 1-13, Shrule-Glencorrib 0-12;
Westport 1-11, Bohola Moy-Davitts 1-11;
Burrishoole 0-10, Knockmore 1-14;
Breaffy 0-9, Crossmolina Deel Rovers 1-13;
Charlestown 2-16, Ballaghadereen 2-10;

Welcome Inn Senior Football League Division 1B:
Belmullet 1-11, Garrymore 0-9;
Tourmakeady 0-9, Davitts 1-6;
Kilmeena 1-4, Castlebar Mitchels 2-17;
Aghamore 0-19, Swinford 3-9;
Ballintubber 1-7, Claremorris 1-3;

Welcome Inn Senior Football League Division 1C:
Louisburgh 0-7, Islandeady 2-7;
Kilcommon 2-10, Achill 1-7;
Kilmaine 2-5, Bonniconlon 0-7;
The Neale 0-7, Kiltimagh 4-11;

Welcome Inn Senior Football League Division 1D:
Killala 0-9, Ballyhaunis 1-12;
Ardnaree 0-18, Crossmolina Deel Rovers B 0-10;
Carramore 1-7, Lahardane 1-6;
Ballina Stephenites B 2-11, Mayo Gaels 2-11;

Welcome Inn Senior Football League Division 1E:
Ballycastle 3-15, Crossmolina Deel Rovers C 1-6;
Bohola Moy-Davitts B 1-7,
Charlestown B 1-13; Balla 1-7,
Castlebar Mitchels B 0-13;
Ardmoy 2-10, Ballaghadereen B 3-5;

Welcome Inn Senior Football League Division 1F:
Ballinrobe B -, Ardnaree B -;
Kilcommon B 1-11, Ardmoy B 1-11;
Kilfian 1-9, Achill B 2-12;
Westport B 1-12, Kilmovee 3-8;
Davitts B 1-4, Swinford B 2-3;
Aghamore B 1-9, Lacken 2-8;

Farrandeelin

O'Neill wasn't even playing for Knockmore on Sunday.

Terry Tate

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 05, 2009, 10:16:30 PM
Quote from: ludermor on June 05, 2009, 02:59:25 PM
What are you saying?

Johnny Leonard disliked Knockmore. I remember him sayiing to the crowd in 2003 league final 'We have them now', before that last minute goal!!! ;D

Jasus. He said that. He must dislike ye

FL/MAYO

Have not seen this goal in over 20 years, Brogan against the Dubs, I thought it was at the Hill End he scored it, how time plays tricks with your memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX5D6q6D5Dg&feature=channel_page