Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

What kind of forward is Kelly?

Tubberman

QuoteYeah was at the match, I thought Jason Gibbons gave the best exhibition of High Fielding in the first half that I have seen in a long time. Our county management in waiting, should be very embarrassed you know who he was destroying. You have a fine team, but as I warned last week you will meet stiffer challenges than you got Saturday night. Alan Dillon was very good for the 27 minutes he played, while he was unlucky to get a red, he should no better than to lift his hand, and the more serious incident came after he was sent off.

Tom Earley has really impressed me this year, and while P O Connor does make some silly mistakes he is still a big threat. They are very hungry, and hunt in packs like Tyrone  and if Jason Gibbons continues in that vein you will have a good run in the championship. I dont believe Claremorris are as bad as they showed Saturday and could still progress, if the infighting does not start.

Well done again, and I hope you do well, because ye play a nice brand of football.

Thats a fair assessment. Jason destroyed them in the middle. Claremorris resorted to ballooning the ball into the air and sometimes didnt even contest kickouts. They were totally overwhelmed.
How Jason wasnt playing county U21 this year was a travesty. In fact, the whole Mayo U21 team this year was picked crazy, but thats another thread.
O Connor didnt start well, perhaps due to nerves but after a while he settled very well. Some of the free taking from the ground was spectacular. I would regard him as one of our best players this season as he has had some terrific performances.
Whereas Mickey Mullins for Claremorris looked very ordinary.

Jason Gibbons gave one of the best displays of fielding I've seen in club football. He completely dominated midfield, although I'm sure other teams will attempt to make sure he doesn't get as many opportunities to catch clean ball.
It was an excellent all round display from Ballintubber - their workrate was fantastic, right up to the final whistle when the result had been beyond doubt for 20 minutes. Alan Dillon's sending off was very harsh to say the least, but it was good to see that the team were able to continue to dominate and rack up the scores without him.
Claremorris were very poor though - as Abbeysider said, they barely contested midfield, their forwards seemed to be afraid to shoot, and when they did take a shot it went wide more often than not.
Moy Davitts put up a big score at the weekend too, so it should be a much tighter game when they meet in July.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on June 01, 2009, 11:12:42 PM
Quote from: REDCOL on June 01, 2009, 03:21:51 PM
He lined out at wing forward in the U-21 semi-final and his man ran riot

Quite. Not surprised with that. This is the thing. Not only was he cleaned V Down, he had come on for injured Freeman v Ros and was instrumental in their recovery in that match before being taken off agains. Yet he was picked again, showing a few classy moments against Sligo, when they were bet, and against any sane man s judgement he was given a start against Down. But the comforting thing is that managemant wont be troubling us again, right?

But who are these managers in waiting? I hope its not who I think your referring to. Not like we have a top rugby team ar anything to start caring about around here.

Im not so sure Moy, id say they have their eye on the big prize of Senior management after John O Mahoney. Thats a scary thought as the selection this year on the Mayo U21 panel was crazy as I said before. Two players on the panel from Hollymount, Connelleys home club, who dont even have an U21 side of their own. Six minors from last year that were brought straight in - a year too early in five cases. Not playing Alan Freeman or Jason Gibbons. Playing players out of position. The list is endless. Not only was the selection crazy but they got away with never publically naming a squad in any of the papers or on the radio. When did that ever happen? The U21 management are totally at fault this year.

Another thing. I have nt come across Jason Gibbons much but people that have were talking him up as a serious player. Yet when we were taking in water at midfield during the U21 championship( this happened in the Galway, Roscommon and Down games) and needed a dig out in midfield there was no sign of him. Was he injured or what?

Jason was unlucky with an injury early in the season but he recovered fine and was fit for those games. He wasnt given a chance but he was not the only one. Im not blowin our own trumpet but Michael Nestor, Ruaidhri O Connor, Liam Tunney and Jason Gibbons are as good as if not better than what was there this year. Those players have an U21 club county medal in their pockets and they wiped Westport in the final, and are playing unreal stuff at Senior level but they didnt get a look in. Go figure.

AbbeySider

Another result that was quite a shock was in the Ballaghadreen Vs Breaffy match.
Ballaghaderreen 4-12, Breaffy 1-3  :-\

I did not expect that one, what happened?  ???

Farrandeelin

Craig Reape was involved last year with Knockmore, he was on and off. He has developed no end this year though and he is playing very well this year all through. I heard subsequently that O'Neill went in with a high elbow on Leonard, he didn't catch him though but if the intent was there he deserved the straight red he got.

I'd say Breaffy don't know what to make of this year, R&GS is from Breaffy I think, so he might fill us in on their 'springus horribilis'. At least Dillon won't be out for the Roscommon match.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 02, 2009, 09:50:37 AM
Quote from: REDCOL on June 01, 2009, 03:21:51 PM
He lined out at wing forward in the U-21 semi-final and his man ran riot

Quite. Not surprised with that. This is the thing. Not only was he cleaned V Down, he had come on for injured Freeman v Ros and was instrumental in their recovery in that match before being taken off agains. Yet he was picked again, showing a few classy moments against Sligo, when they were bet, and against any sane man s judgement he was given a start against Down. But the comforting thing is that managemant wont be troubling us again, right?

But who are these managers in waiting? I hope its not who I think your referring to. Not like we have a top rugby team ar anything to start caring about around here.

Im not so sure Moy, id say they have their eye on the big prize of Senior management after John O Mahoney. Thats a scary thought as the selection this year on the Mayo U21 panel was crazy as I said before. Two players on the panel from Hollymount, Connelleys home club, who dont even have an U21 side of their own. Six minors from last year that were brought straight in - a year too early in five cases. Not playing Alan Freeman or Jason Gibbons. Playing players out of position. The list is endless. Not only was the selection crazy but they got away with never publically naming a squad in any of the papers or on the radio. When did that ever happen? The U21 management are totally at fault this year.

Another thing. I have nt come across Jason Gibbons much but people that have were talking him up as a serious player. Yet when we were taking in water at midfield during the U21 championship( this happened in the Galway, Roscommon and Down games) and needed a dig out in midfield there was no sign of him. Was he injured or what?

Jason was unlucky with an injury early in the season but he recovered fine and was fit for those games. He wasnt given a chance but he was not the only one. Im not blowin our own trumpet but Michael Nestor, Ruaidhri O Connor, Liam Tunney and Jason Gibbons are as good as if not better than what was there this year. Those players have an U21 club county medal in their pockets and they wiped Westport in the final, and are playing unreal stuff at Senior level but they didnt get a look in. Go figure.

Nonsense about last year's minors Abbeysider. Hennelly, Kevin Keane, Aidan O'Shea and Cathal Freeman all had to start. So too Shane Nally if he didn't pick Colman's. It was a big ask though of John Broderick and Eoghan Reilly. I've said before that team selections are the weakness of the U-21 management. Brian Gallagher ahead of Gibbons was crazy and Gibbons showed the folly of that call on Saturday. He was immense and, if he wants to, will be playing with Mayo sooner than later (senior that is).
Ballintubber look very, very good and they're well tuned in and focused on what they want. They are a team to watch.
As for Breaffy, not a lot to say, stunk the place out in Charlestown.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 02, 2009, 03:14:11 PM
Nonsense about last year's minors Abbeysider. Hennelly, Kevin Keane, Aidan O'Shea and Cathal Freeman all had to start. So too Shane Nally if he didn't pick Colman's. It was a big ask though of John Broderick and Eoghan Reilly. I've said before that team selections are the weakness of the U-21 management.

Hennelly; definitely.
Kevin Keane; most likely.
Aidan O'Shea; no doubt but im not convinced at all with Cathal Freeman.

Brian Gallagher ahead of Gibbons was crazy and Gibbons showed the folly of that call on Saturday. He was immense and, if he wants to, will be playing with Mayo sooner than later (senior that is).

If he can hold the head and keep doing what he is doing he is definitely on the right track.

Ballintubber look very, very good and they're well tuned in and focused on what they want. They are a team to watch.
As for Breaffy, not a lot to say, stunk the place out in Charlestown.

It was a great win but its important not to get too carried away. We played well but its about keeping the momentum up and not ever being complacent. Hopefully we can stay focused and improve on it again and keep building. I dont think Claremorris are as bad as they showed, it was kind of a freakish game like that I suppose.

Foreverhopeful

ballina have got a great chance with that result between cross & k'more. Cross dont look like they are to much without mcdonald. They still have the usual suspects as Moysider said that will pull the team along. Ballina can go quietly about their business cos everyones been saying how weakened they are with all the lads gone abroad but really its only wynne and Hughes. Caf has slotted into the no.3 jersey and last yrs minor Daniel O'Hara has taken over from Hughes. Harte at club level can be absolutely awesome. At the back they have some big players like Kenny Golden, Colm Leonard (if he can get back to fighting weight), and Eanna Casey.

BTW how is casey getting on at corner back? Would have had him in half backs.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on June 02, 2009, 06:08:00 PM
ballina have got a great chance with that result between cross & k'more. Cross dont look like they are to much without mcdonald. They still have the usual suspects as Moysider said that will pull the team along. Ballina can go quietly about their business cos everyones been saying how weakened they are with all the lads gone abroad but really its only wynne and Hughes. Caf has slotted into the no.3 jersey and last yrs minor Daniel O'Hara has taken over from Hughes. Harte at club level can be absolutely awesome. At the back they have some big players like Kenny Golden, Colm Leonard (if he can get back to fighting weight), and Eanna Casey.

Methinks Ballina will top the group. I think they might take Crossmolina the next day even. I don't know enough about Ballinrobe to predict a result between ourselves and them the next day out.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 02, 2009, 02:55:19 PM
Craig Reape was involved last year with Knockmore, he was on and off. He has developed no end this year though and he is playing very well this year all through. I heard subsequently that O'Neill went in with a high elbow on Leonard, he didn't catch him though but if the intent was there he deserved the straight red he got.

I'd say Breaffy don't know what to make of this year, R&GS is from Breaffy I think, so he might fill us in on their 'springus horribilis'. At least Dillon won't be out for the Roscommon match.

Did nt think Reape figured at senior at all last year. Or the brother. Thought there was some issue with last manager. But, hey, who am I to argue with a Back's man about such domestic matters.

Mayo4Sam

I watched the match with a few of the ballina lads, they commented on the difference between the standard in the cross game and the game the nite before, i didn't see the game on sat but they reckoned it wasn't a patch on sunday's match, which i couldn't understand, i thought sunday was poor enough fare.

On o'neill, he didn't lift the elbow, he caught yer man high but with his shoulder and the ref was the wrong side of him to see it, it was very harsh. Ruined the game, knockmore had no outlet past the halfway line, kilcoyne was dog useless and then pulled it out of the bag, should well have got in for a goal with the last ball.

Thought sweeney caught a lot of nice ball in the middle and Mcloughlin was the stand out player, real class act.

For cross gardiner did well and cafferkey did some excellent fielding, looked really impressive.

Great result for ballina but on the other side if you take it that both knockmore & cross should beat ballinrobe then they each have a one off game against ballina to go thru.

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on June 02, 2009, 06:08:00 PM

Casey might be better off in the corner. He s less inclined to heroics from there. Any time I ve seen him there he s done well enough. Hughey, Melia and Gazza big losses in the forwards. Healy doin well though. Our ff is in the comfort zone though and there is no excuse for it at this time of year and should be under pressure. Surprisingly he was left on for the whole game the last night.
Any club team with Clarke, Cafferkey, Harte and McGarrity have a decent foundation. Liam is going well at 11 and if we could get through to the knockout stages and get the few forwards back in particular then.........

the Deel Rover

Quote from: moysider on June 01, 2009, 11:39:26 PM
Also yesterday Sean Kelly looks a quality forward - the type we moan about that we dont have.

He won't be playing against yourselves moysider he is off to Boston for the summer , he played well on sunday the best i have seen him play for Cross .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Farrandeelin

It appears the North Mayo stranglehold is coming to an end from what I can gather here. M4S says that Ballina lads thought their game was in dire straits if they thought the one between Cross and Knockmore was good. And you could be right Moy about Craig Reape. I didn't get to many games last year involving Knockmore.

PS, where is the pitch in Burrishoole? I'm considering going back there before I head off to Dublin on Sunday. I cannot ever remember being there.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 03, 2009, 11:02:55 AM
It appears the North Mayo stranglehold is coming to an end from what I can gather here. M4S says that Ballina lads thought their game was in dire straits if they thought the one between Cross and Knockmore was good. And you could be right Moy about Craig Reape. I didn't get to many games last year involving Knockmore.

PS, where is the pitch in Burrishoole? I'm considering going back there before I head off to Dublin on Sunday. I cannot ever remember being there.

its just on your left as you head into newport Farrandeelin, thats if your go the Glenhest way
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001