Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayo51

cross 0.11 knockmore 1.08 .k.oneill sent off in the first half. kilcoyne scored 0.06   (4 frees)

Farrandeelin

To be honest it's hard to know what to make of Cross and Knockmore. I thought Knockmore were v poor, but so were Crossmolina. I didn't realise Kilcoyne scored that much, he must have missed twice that amount. We lack ball-winners in the middle. Kevin McLoughlin would be our best player on the pitch. Gardiner was good for Crossmolina too but he wasn't marked. As for O'Neill's straight red, I honestly don't know what it was for. Nor did anybody else I was talking to on the way out and that included Crossmolina men by the way. The only bit of drama came at the end when we scored 2 points in the last minute! We didn't lose anyway despite all my negativity in the post.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 31, 2009, 09:04:36 PM
To be honest it's hard to know what to make of Cross and Knockmore. I thought Knockmore were v poor, but so were Crossmolina. I didn't realise Kilcoyne scored that much, he must have missed twice that amount. We lack ball-winners in the middle. Kevin McLoughlin would be our best player on the pitch. Gardiner was good for Crossmolina too but he wasn't marked. As for O'Neill's straight red, I honestly don't know what it was for. Nor did anybody else I was talking to on the way out and that included Crossmolina men by the way. The only bit of drama came at the end when we scored 2 points in the last minute! We didn't lose anyway despite all my negativity in the post.

He caught Leonard with a high elbow. Could nt argue with the red(ref beside the incident) although they are often given as yellows. Technically the ref was justified showing red even if it was harsh.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 30, 2009, 06:10:27 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on May 30, 2009, 03:40:28 PM
if we win be 1 point i'd be happy, not expecting a cross win tomorrow crippled by injuries at the moment, don't know what team we are going to put out but if knockmore have a settled injury free team and with  o' neill back i think they will take us tomorrow :(

You're as bad as O'Mahony going on about injuries...

:D :D :D i was only telling the truth farrandeelin , poor enough game I'd have taking a draw before the game however we should have killed the game off especially in the last 5 minutes when we had 2 chances to Kill  the ball and we didn't also for the equalising point we got ourselves in trouble handpassing the ball out of defence and it could have been worse if Kicoyne looked up because there was a definate goal chance with knockmre having a free man inside , Don't think we utilised the free man well at all . We didn't score for the last 20 minutes and we lacked a bit of cuteness up front.I thought James Cafferkey was excellent when he came on. Like farrandeelin said Kevin Mc Loughlin was the stand out player on the pitch
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Foreverhopeful

anyone be able to tell me the ballina team?

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 29, 2009, 04:36:46 PM
Claremorris by 12 . . .

How does Ballintubber by 15 points fit for size?  :D  ;)

Quote from: REDCOL on May 30, 2009, 08:52:25 PM
Claremorris 0-5
Ballintubber 1-17

Ballintubber produced a footballing masterclass against a very disappointing Claremorris outfit. Despite having Alan Dillon sent off with a harsh straight red card 3 mins from the end of the first half, they strolled to a fifteen point victory.

Did you make the match REDCOL?
It was a great performance, we didnt stop until the last minute. Delighted the lads showed some of their potential.

Alan Dillons red card was a crazy decision. It doesnt affect county games I think.

REDCOL

Yeah was at the match, I thought Jason Gibbons gave the best exhibition of High Fielding in the first half that I have seen in a long time. Our county management in waiting, should be very embarrassed you know who he was destroying. You have a fine team, but as I warned last week you will meet stiffer challenges than you got Saturday night. Alan Dillon was very good for the 27 minutes he played, while he was unlucky to get a red, he should no better than to lift his hand, and the more serious incident came after he was sent off.

Tom Earley has really impressed me this year, and while P O Connor does make some silly mistakes he is still a big threat. They are very hungry, and hunt in packs like Tyrone  and if Jason Gibbons continues in that vein you will have a good run in the championship. I dont believe Claremorris are as bad as they showed Saturday and could still progress, if the infighting does not start.

Well done again, and I hope you do well, because ye play a nice brand of football.

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on June 01, 2009, 12:17:04 PM
anyone be able to tell me the ballina team?

Clarke, Rouse, Cafferkey, Casey, McCarron, Leonard, Golden, McGar, Hartey, Ruane, L Brady, Crowe,O Hara, McGarry, Healy.

A big win against the head there. Sets up the group nicely.

moysider

Quote from: REDCOL on June 01, 2009, 12:38:27 PM
Yeah was at the match, I thought Jason Gibbons gave the best exhibition of High Fielding in the first half that I have seen in a long time. Our county management in waiting, should be very embarrassed you know who he was destroying. You have a fine team, but as I warned last week you will meet stiffer challenges than you got Saturday night. Alan Dillon was very good for the 27 minutes he played, while he was unlucky to get a red, he should no better than to lift his hand, and the more serious incident came after he was sent off.

Tom Earley has really impressed me this year, and while P O Connor does make some silly mistakes he is still a big threat. They are very hungry, and hunt in packs like Tyrone  and if Jason Gibbons continues in that vein you will have a good run in the championship. I dont believe Claremorris are as bad as they showed Saturday and could still progress, if the infighting does not start.

Well done again, and I hope you do well, because ye play a nice brand of football.

I m guessing who your talking about here. You might spell it out for me?

REDCOL

He lined out at wing forward in the U-21 semi-final and his man ran riot

Foreverhopeful

brian ruane at no.10?? was he playing there or as extra man around midfield/defence? Liam brady did most of the scoring??

AbbeySider

Quote from: REDCOL on June 01, 2009, 12:38:27 PM

Thats a fair assessment. Jason destroyed them in the middle. Claremorris resorted to ballooning the ball into the air and sometimes didnt even contest kickouts. They were totally overwhelmed.
How Jason wasnt playing county U21 this year was a travesty. In fact, the whole Mayo U21 team this year was picked crazy, but thats another thread.
O Connor didnt start well, perhaps due to nerves but after a while he settled very well. Some of the free taking from the ground was spectacular. I would regard him as one of our best players this season as he has had some terrific performances.
Whereas Mickey Mullins for Claremorris looked very ordinary.

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on June 01, 2009, 04:10:00 PM
brian ruane at no.10?? was he playing there or as extra man around midfield/defence? Liam brady did most of the scoring??

Yeah. Ruane played a more deep linking role I suppose. Brady kicked a few big ones and appears to be in the form of his life this year. Crowe chipped in with a few nice scores. Harte the main man though. A lot of scores came through him.

moysider

Quote from: REDCOL on June 01, 2009, 03:21:51 PM
He lined out at wing forward in the U-21 semi-final and his man ran riot

Quite. Not surprised with that. This is the thing. Not only was he cleaned V Down, he had come on for injured Freeman v Ros and was instrumental in their recovery in that match before being taken off agains. Yet he was picked again, showing a few classy moments against Sligo, when they were bet, and against any sane man s judgement he was given a start against Down. But the comforting thing is that managemant wont be troubling us again, right?

But who are these managers in waiting? I hope its not who I think your referring to. Not like we have a top rugby team ar anything to start caring about around here.

Another thing. I have nt come across Jason Gibbons much but people that have were talking him up as a serious player. Yet when we were taking in water at midfield during the U21 championship( this happened in the Galway, Roscommon and Down games) and needed a dig out in midfield there was no sign of him. Was he injured or what?

moysider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 01, 2009, 08:25:43 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 30, 2009, 06:10:27 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on May 30, 2009, 03:40:28 PM
if we win be 1 point i'd be happy, not expecting a cross win tomorrow crippled by injuries at the moment, don't know what team we are going to put out but if knockmore have a settled injury free team and with  o' neill back i think they will take us tomorrow :(

You're as bad as O'Mahony going on about injuries...

:D :D :D i was only telling the truth farrandeelin , poor enough game I'd have taking a draw before the game however we should have killed the game off especially in the last 5 minutes when we had 2 chances to Kill  the ball and we didn't also for the equalising point we got ourselves in trouble handpassing the ball out of defence and it could have been worse if Kicoyne looked up because there was a definate goal chance with knockmre having a free man inside , Don't think we utilised the free man well at all . We didn't score for the last 20 minutes and we lacked a bit of cuteness up front.I thought James Cafferkey was excellent when he came on. Like farrandeelin said Kevin Mc Loughlin was the stand out player on the pitch

Agree wholeheartedly about McLoughlin and thought Cafferkey was excellent when introduced. McLoughlin so much more than a corner back and Cafferkey looks like he s going to be a county player before long. Was he asked abord the U21s this year. Unforgivable if not? Keane, Freeman and O Shea no brainers from last years minors but Cafferkey looks like he could have played too. Also yesterday Sean Kelly looks a quality forward - the type we moan about that we dont have. The other bit of newer class yesterday was Craig Reape. A pity he was not involved last year with Knockmore cause he would have been good enough for the U21s. He s worth watching see how he develops.

As a neutral yesterdays game while enjoyable was nothing like the wonderful savagel encounters over the last 20 years. Maybe things would be different if it was pure knockout but you get the impression that the days of the North Mayo superpowers are at an end. Would nt write any of the big 3 off as regards a county title this year but none are great teams right now. Knockmore or Crossmolina did nt have a county standard 3, 8,9,11, or 14 between them yesterday. Lads like Nallens, Lavelle, Gardiner, Keane, O Neill, Sweeney still have the ringcraft to manage a game but apart from some newer nuggets like McLoughlin, Cafferkey, Reape and Kelly the rest look a bit shy of what we were used to from these clubs.