Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 19, 2009, 08:17:12 PM
So any word if the Championship round one is going ahead on the last weekend in May?

Full steam ahead AFAICT.
I think the county board are giving some clubs the option to play on the Friday or the Monday if they have players involved on the Sunday with Mayo juniors. But the full fixtures are going ahead that weekend. Some awful shite on the HoganStand, people getting over excited about nothing.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: AbbeySider on May 20, 2009, 12:25:54 PM
people getting over excited about nothing.

Well it is Mayo after all.  :P

Davitt Man

Strong dublin team for friday nite

Dublin (SF v Mayo): S Cluxton; D Henry, D Bastick, A Hubbard; P Griffin, G Brennan, B Cahill; C Whelan, D Magee; P Flynn, R McConnell, D Connolly; C Keaney, M Davoren, A Brogan

Tubberman

QuoteStrong dublin team for friday nite

Dublin (SF v Mayo): S Cluxton; D Henry, D Bastick, A Hubbard; P Griffin, G Brennan, B Cahill; C Whelan, D Magee; P Flynn, R McConnell, D Connolly; C Keaney, M Davoren, A Brogan

Not often you see teams named in advance for challenge matches - Dubs must be taking it seriously.
That might also explain the €10 entrance fee, which is another thing you wouldn't usually associate with challenge matches  >:(

Anyway, think I'll head out for a look. Presume A O'Se will be at home studying so another chance for Barry Moran to get some game time before Ros/Leitrim.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

joemamas

Quote from: Tubberman on May 20, 2009, 04:52:56 PM
QuoteStrong dublin team for friday nite

Not often you see teams named in advance for challenge matches - Dubs must be taking it seriously.
That might also explain the €10 entrance fee, which is another thing you wouldn't usually associate with challenge matches  >:(

Anyway, think I'll head out for a look. Presume A O'Se will be at home studying so another chance for Barry Moran to get some game time before Ros/Leitrim.

I think the Barry Moran experiment may have ended in New York. On what basis are you assuming he willl start V Ros/Leitrim.  He tries hard, but does not have the speed for modern day county football.

REDCOL

The County Board have yet again made changes to fixtures made 3 months ago. Our club will now have to play on the 14th because Aghamore have players involved with the Mayo Juniors. So we lose two key players who had holidays booked in line with original master fixtures plan. Do they care - not a bit. Why bother giving out fixtures at all

Foreverhopeful

the mayo junior team is ridiculous. Let it be made up of players from Junior clubs only who have sneaked under the radar and may actually have a chance of progressing to senior team. We've seen enough of Paul Doherty, every year he gets a go on the junior team. Billy Fitzpatrick should be chopped, same shit every year with him. Colm cafferkey another who has had more chances on mayo panels when clearly not good enough. Lets see some players from clubs like Kilfian, Lahardane, Ardnaree, Lacken. Let players from these cubs have a chance at representing Mayo.

AbbeySider

Quote from: REDCOL on May 20, 2009, 10:12:52 PM
The County Board have yet again made changes to fixtures made 3 months ago. Our club will now have to play on the 14th because Aghamore have players involved with the Mayo Juniors. So we lose two key players who had holidays booked in line with original master fixtures plan. Do they care - not a bit. Why bother giving out fixtures at all

Garrymore is it?

I thought the county board gave teams the choice to play either on the Friday 31st or Monday the 1st of June if there was players involved with the juniors? The official fixture says Sunday 4th June but im guessing thats a mistake and its the 14th?

Ye should beat Aughamore...

AbbeySider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on May 20, 2009, 11:09:45 PM
the mayo junior team is ridiculous. Let it be made up of players from Junior clubs only who have sneaked under the radar and may actually have a chance of progressing to senior team. We've seen enough of Paul Doherty, every year he gets a go on the junior team. Billy Fitzpatrick should be chopped, same shit every year with him. Colm cafferkey another who has had more chances on mayo panels when clearly not good enough. Lets see some players from clubs like Kilfian, Lahardane, Ardnaree, Lacken. Let players from these cubs have a chance at representing Mayo.

I wouldnt be in favour. You wouldnt put together much of a north Mayo senior team let alone a county junior team with those teams, some of who are really struggling.
Kilfian and Lacken are division 1F

It seems the county junior team is made up mostly of Intermediate team players ?

Foreverhopeful

i said some players from these clubs, not based specifically on these clubs. I would be including all junior teams from mayo. lacken and kilfian havent got 15 bad players. There's one or two from each club who are worth a shot. You in favour of the billy fitzpatrick clique. Is paul doherty his love child cos he's there every year.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on May 21, 2009, 01:12:39 PM
i said some players from these clubs, not based specifically on these clubs. I would be including all junior teams from mayo. lacken and kilfian havent got 15 bad players. There's one or two from each club who are worth a shot. You in favour of the billy fitzpatrick clique. Is paul doherty his love child cos he's there every year.

I wasnt aware of the Billy Fitz clique but maybe some new management blood may do the team good.
Frankly I dont really care much for the Mayo Junior team as it doenst seem to serve much of a purpose. What I mean is that I cant think of many players that would get a shot playing Mayo Junior and play themselves onto the senior squad. Also, other counties dont take it seriously and most wouldnt even have a team. Noel Connelly made a bit of a comeback on the Mayo Juniors playing full forward in 2007... I laughed when I heard it. What purpose could that possibly serve?

Anyway Paul Doherty is a great player. Compare what he scores for his club to any of the forwards on any of the teams you mention. Note that Doherty is playing against much better teams and defenders. In fact, he would trouble any defender in the county. He wins games and makes headlines for his club. There is no argument. He well deserves his spot on the Mayo Junior team and is close to the Senior squad IMO.

There is however fairly good talent in the bigger Junior A teams like Varley, Eoin Hughes and Pat Casey from The Neale and the Hannicks from Killala. But I dont see anyone standing out as near county standard in the teams your on about.

Who specifically would you have playing for Mayo juniors with the potential to play Mayo Senior from your list:

Quote from: Foreverhopeful
Kilfian, Lahardane, Ardnaree, Lacken
There's one or two from each club who are worth a shot

Who?

Foreverhopeful

Billy fitz proved how backward he is by picking noel connelly 2 yrs ago. Disgraceful when you think of all the players plugging away at junior level. If its not that big of a deal why dont we keep it to junior players so. Surely they should have a chance to put on the green and red even if it is at a low level. There is a chance albeit a small one that we find a decent player worthy of a senior panel place. Eoin Mccormack from ardnaree is a classy forward, shane forde from ballycastle is a very good midfielder. More players like that in junior clubs across mayo. What scouting does billy fitz do....Zero i'd say.

RedandGreenSniper

I'd say Noel Connelly was picked to help them win some games and that they did! The Junior team is a mix of young and not so young and ye can blame Billy Fitzpatrick all ye like, the reality is nobody in the county board gives a shite about the juniors and there would be no Mayo Junior team if he didn't take it, end of.

Sure, some of the junior club players could be given a chance but it makes more sense to pick an intermediate club player, who has played at a higher level, than a junior player, unless that junior player is exceptional.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

highking

Lets face it. The Junior team is just thrown together on the evening and hope for the best. The opening two training sessions had 7 players and 11 players - even though over 30 were invited. Only 19 players showed up for the game in Carrick. Billy Fitz was thinking about having to tog out himself with 15 minutes to throw-in. The standard is much lower than U21. I dont know why the GAA persist with this competition. Galway pulled out a few years ago and no-one even noticed. Fermanagh played in Connacht this year and got flaked by leitrim in the preliminary round.

It seems that this competition could be forgotten about - and who would even notice it gone...

REDCOL

Abbeysider E Varley flies out to Chicago on that date, T Nally on holidays think they scored 7 of 9 points against you the weekend. Trying to get Varleys flight changed the club will have to foot that bill, its not good enough