Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on April 28, 2009, 10:46:25 PM
they have an awesome full back in paddy navin. Injuries at the wrong time meant he never got a proper chance.

Did he get a shot that time we played Laois twice including a replay in 2006? Or is that my imagination... I thought he did feature that year.

mayo51

did not feature in 2006.came on in the final as a 2ind half sub in 2004.i think lack of pace is the reason that he has not featured more for mayo

AbbeySider

Quote from: mayo51 on April 29, 2009, 12:19:10 AM
did not feature in 2006.came on in the final as a 2ind half sub in 2004.i think lack of pace is the reason that he has not featured more for mayo

Ya I think it was said at the time it was said he was caught for pace.

AbbeySider

From the Mayo news:

O'Neill and Kelly both transfer to Mayo clubs

LAST night's meeting of the Mayo GAA Board's Competitions Control Committee (CCC) was expected to see two high-profile club transfers confirmed ahead of the start of the club championships next month.
Former Mayo senior footballers Kevin O'Neill (35) and Pat Kelly (27) are both set to return to play their club football in their native county after spending the recent past in Dublin.
O'Neill will play with Knockmore GAA club this summer, the former All Star returning to his home club after a four year sojourn with Na Fianna in Dublin.
Meanwhile, Pat Kelly has decided to throw in his lot with Castlebar Mitchels after playing with St Vincent's in Dublin in recent years, winning county, provincial and All-Ireland club championship medals in the process.
The former Mayo underage star, who was part of the county senior squad for the early part of this year's NFL before leaving the panel in February, actually transferred from St Vincent's to his home club, Kilmaine, in January.
However, Kelly, who works as a Garda, has submitted a transfer request to play with Castlebar Mitchels for the coming season.

Interesting that Pat Kelly is going to Castlebar Mitchles rather than home to Kilmane.
Kevin O Neill back for Kncokmore will give them a boost.
In other Mayo club transfers this year I see that Dwane Flynn is going playing for Parke from Mitchles...

Foreverhopeful

He is a super reader of the the game and very strong. He would make a great no. 6 (P Navin not P Kelly)

Farrandeelin

Yeah, I heard O'Neill was coming back to us on Sunday. A bit more reason to be cheerful. It's still going to be a hard group to get out of, with McDonald allowed to put in all his time with Crossmolina and lots of the Mayo team with the Stephenites. I hope we rise to the challenge and beat the two fo them...really.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Foreverhopeful

give knockmore another few years, have an incredibly young team. Can see them being big in a couple of years with mcloughlin, mchale, gibbons, statler getting more experience and killer and munnelly hitting their prime. O'Neill is a great boost for the younger lads. Dont see them progressing in championship this year but they will give cross and s"nites a good honest battle

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on April 30, 2009, 11:45:16 AM
give knockmore another few years, have an incredibly young team. Can see them being big in a couple of years with mcloughlin, mchale, gibbons, statler getting more experience and killer and munnelly hitting their prime. O'Neill is a great boost for the younger lads. Dont see them progressing in championship this year but they will give cross and s"nites a good honest battle

Yeah, I'd be thinking more or less along those lines myself. I hope we don't go down to intermediate before them players you've mentioned come good though. Anything is possible.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 01, 2009, 12:01:09 AM
Quote from: Foreverhopeful on April 30, 2009, 11:45:16 AM

Yeah, I'd be thinking more or less along those lines myself. I hope we don't go down to intermediate before them players you've mentioned come good though. Anything is possible.

Agree about the potential in Knockmore. All they need really is a midfield collosus to come along but how often does a Staunton come along. He was probably the best midfielder in the county for a dozen years or more ( though as usual his county career was all to brief) and his likes does nt come along too often. The team also seems to lack leaders which is amazing for a club that used to have 15 leaders starting and a few more to come on. Worringly, Knockmore now dont appear to have the old ethos about them and are increasingly resembling a townie team, something which is not a good thing. And something that I m sure troubles their more senior patrons.  All teams should not play the same and what made Knockmore a great club was that they had their own stamp, and won with it.

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on May 01, 2009, 12:25:32 AM
....Worringly, Knockmore now dont appear to have the old ethos about them and are increasingly resembling a townie team, something which is not a good thing. And something that I m sure troubles their more senior patrons. 

Intriguing comment Moy, could you elaborate a bit more?

Is it that they are not perceived as being hard/tough physically?

Farrandeelin

Well lets just say we had Munnelly, C Butler and Kilcoyne in the full-forward line on Sunday. Munnelly and C Butler don't break the 6 ft mark. Compare that to Dempsey, Brogan and O'Neill in the 90s, and as Moysider said we definitely do need a midfielder like Staunton to come along. I don't really think we have the Staunton-type middle man there though. As I said, it's all about surviving in senior for a few years yet. True the Ballina/Cross championship games should focus the mind (if it doesn't God help us). And to answer the question abbersider, there's no physicality really on the pitch from a Knockmore point of view.

Davitt Man

not many teams in mayo have a mid fielder like Staunton now anyway, its mainly atheltic men these days that patrol the midfield sector

Foreverhopeful

true point moysider, they are bringing through "nice" footballers. Knockmore men renowned for being hard footballers, not saying they lacked skill but first and foremost  was their physicality. It def has chnaged.

RedandGreenSniper

I still wouldn't go as far as to call them soft. They may not have Kevin Staunton around but they can still mix it. O'Neill is a great addition too.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Farrandeelin

Well at least we got our first win of the season last night. O'Neill as thin and as lean as ever he was, and good passing and from frees. The only downpoint from the game was the effing ref Declan Corcoran. Jesus he must be one of the most infuriating refs ever. Whistle was never too far from his lips all evening.