Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: moysider on February 19, 2009, 01:13:26 AM
Quote from: stephenite on February 19, 2009, 12:54:29 AM
Quote from: moysider on February 19, 2009, 12:49:40 AM
Quote from: stephenite on February 19, 2009, 12:27:23 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 19, 2009, 12:25:55 AM
How can 3 of the best 5 teams in the championship get thrown in together
disaster for all 3, they'll prob expend so much getting out of the group that it'll cost them in the knockout stages

Bit early for that sort of lark stephenite, playing the poor mouth and half the team on the county panel is a bit much, and we have a sub and an injured lad, sure we're f***ed, ballinrobe will probably beat us, i'd say they lads can start booking their J1s already

Having those lads on the county panel is half the problem to be honest.

What problem? Is there a problem?

Too many lads away with the County team for most of the year is a bit of a hindrance to the preparations of the senior team - any club manager will tell you that. It's great that they are getting the proper recognition for their skills but would Liam McHale rather they were concentrating on the club full time? Of course he would even though he'd never say it. It'll be worse this year if the likes of Hughes, Wynne etc are away, at least they would have played with some of these lads before.

Of course but on the plus side you get so much more. Players with status, leadership, confidence, better fitness. I remember some fans I know from a club also in our group this year ( not Cross) pleased when Mayo were knocked out of championship because their county players would be focused on the club. I remember one of their county players opting out of county squad when he was appointed club captain - and he was a county regular. Make you wonder why we invest so much of ourselves in the county team if it may be seen as a distraction. I think clubs should delight in their players wearing the county jersey. The county certainly seems to be number 1 in counties like Kerry and Galway and maybe goes some way to explaining our underachievement as a county when we had a richness of players. McHale mentioned this in an interview with the press maybe 10 years ago.

I know you couldn't be talking about ur neighbours to the south Moysider, could u PM me who ur talking about?
Knockmore were always delighted the better mayo did, it fed the massive chip we had on our shoulder, knockmore lads dont get picked for the county, therefore the better mayo do the better knockmore do cause everyone else is off concentrating on mayo. I'm talking about count titles in '81, '89, '96 & '97. I think the current squad has lost that siege mentality that we always had in spades and is the poorer for it, ur better off thinking everyone hates u, ur better off again when they actually do
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Tubberman

Brilliant draw this year!

Group A has Mitchels and Charlestown, and an impressive young Aghamore team up from Intermediate

Group B has the 3 powerhouses of North Mayo - will have to try to get to some of those games! Ballinrobe could surprise them all if they're all concentrating on each other.

Group C has Ballagh, Shrule and Breaffy - 3 young sides that are great to watch

Group D isn't a bad draw for Ballintubber at all - Claremorris will be favourites, we had Moy Davitt's this year, and Kiltane have to come to us, which is a huge difference to having to travel to Kiltane. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

the Deel Rover

Great fecking draw looks like its the group of death ;) It should be just like the auld knock out system with a real championship feel the day of the match.None of those teams like loosing to each other so there is no fear on any of the teams taking each other lightly also cross and ballinrobe have come up against each other the last few years and last year in particular they should have beaten us at home. I see we are playing Knockmore in cross where in the Ballina Game been played ?

Edit Just seen that we are playing Baliina in the park
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

StoneWall

Quote from: westmayo on February 18, 2009, 10:52:45 PM
Fixtures for the senior

West Mayo any fixtures for intermediate or junior?

AbbeySider

Quote from: StoneWall on February 19, 2009, 09:37:52 AM
Fixtures for the senior

What club are you from anyway StoneWall?  ;)
MayoGeals? TourMack? Kiltimagh?

I know Kiltimagh are in the same group as Ballintubber B in the Junior A championship....
I think Lackin are in the same group.
Didnt hear any more, but it wont be long before they are on www.mayogaa.com

AbbeySider

Quote from: StoneWall on February 19, 2009, 09:37:52 AM
Fixtures for the senior

Intermediate
Group 1
Kilmaine, Hollymount, Killala and Tourmakeady
Group 2
Belmullet, Crossmolina B, Swinford and Davitts
Group 3
Westport, Ballyhaunis, Achill and Bonniconlon (the exact same applies here as senior group 3)
Group 4
Louisburgh, Cill Chomain, Mayo Gaels and Kilmeena.

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 18, 2009, 10:22:09 PM
Plug pulled on Rag Week so made it to the draw this evening.

The north Mayo boys will be foaming at the mouth at the sight of Group 2 of the Senior :o :o

Sure I knew you wouldnt let us down  ;D

disaster for all 3, they'll prob expend so much getting out of the group that it'll cost them in the knockout stages

Best 5 teams of the Championship? Thats debatable  ;)  :D

Anyway I think its seeded from last year.
All the Semi Finalists get into one group each.
Then, I think the rule is that you cant meet a quarter finalist you met last year, in the same group this year.

I could be wrong in that... R&GS will clear that up for me...  ;)

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 19, 2009, 10:45:43 AM

Anyway I think its seeded from last year.
All the Semi Finalists get into one group each.
Then, I think the rule is that you cant meet a quarter finalist you met last year, in the same group this year.

I could be wrong in that... R&GS will clear that up for me...  ;)

Seeing as you asked so nicely!
Ther first seeds are the four semi-finalists from last year - Charlestown, Crossmolina, Claremorris and Ballaghaderreen. They all avoid each other. Then the four quarter-finalists from last year - Breaffy, Ballintubber, Castlebar and Knockmore. They also avoid each other, going in with one of the first seeds. Then the seven teams who didn't get out of the group stage last year along with the Intermediate champs (Aghamore) fill out the final two spots per group.
I don't know about three of the best five being in the Crossmolina group M4S. You could argue that Ballagh, Breaffy, Shrule/Glencorrib and Burrishoole is just as tough. Anyway whatever about the group of death, there's no doubting the soft group - Claremorris, Ballintubber, Moy Davitts and Kiltane!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 19, 2009, 11:17:38 AM
...Anyway whatever about the group of death, there's no doubting the soft group - Claremorris, Ballintubber, Moy Davitts and Kiltane!

Oh Controversial...   :o ;D

I dont think its that soft  :P

But we avoided the big teams like Breaffy so we are Ok  :D

westmayo

Inter fixtures for you stonewall

Group A
[/i]
Kilmaine, Tourmakeady, Killala, Hollymount
Round One
Kilmaine v Tourmakeady
Killala v Hollymount
Round Two
Hollymount v Kilmaine
Tourmakeady v Killala
Round Three
Kilmaine v Killala
Tourmakeady v Hollymount

Group B
Belmullet, Crossmolina B, Swinford, Davitts
Round One
Belmullet v Crossmolina B
Swinford v Davitts
Round Two
Davitts v Belmullet
Crossmolina B v Swinford
Round Three
Belmullet v Swinford
Crossmolina B v Davitts

Group C
Westport, Ballyhaunis, Achill, Bonniconlon
Round One
Westport v Ballyhaunis
Achill v Bonniconlon
Round Two
Bonniconlon v Westport
Ballyhaunis v Achill
Round Three
Westport v Achill
Ballyhaunis v Bonniconlon

Group D

Louisburgh, Cill Chomain, Mayo Gaels, Kilmeena
Round One
Louisburgh v Cill Chomain
Mayo Gaels v Kilmeena
Round Two
Kilmeena v Louisburgh
Cill Chomain v Mayo Gaels
Round Three
Louisburgh v Mayo Gaels
Ciill Chomain v Kilmeena

Didn't get the sheet with the junior fixtures, but there was 32 teams in eight groups of four in the draw

(Note: Both Kiltimagh and Parke, are beaten finalists in the intermediate championship in the last few years and are now playing in junior)

Group one
Islandeady, Knockmore, Eastern Gaels, Kilmaine
Group two
Neale, Balla, Ardmoy, Charlestown
Group three
Parke KC, Cross C, Shrule, Aghamore
Group four
Kilimagh, Lacken, Claremorris, Ballintubber
Group five
Lahardane, Belmullett, Arndaree, Ballah
Group six
Carramore, Kilfian, Moy Dav, Killala
Group seven
Castlebar, Ballycastle, westport, achill
Group eight
Ballina, Ballinrobe, kilmovee, swinford,

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on February 19, 2009, 12:49:40 AM
Quote from: stephenite on February 19, 2009, 12:27:23 AM

Bit early for that sort of lark stephenite, playing the poor mouth and half the team on the county panel is a bit much, and we have a sub and an injured lad, sure we're f***ed, ballinrobe will probably beat us, i'd say they lads can start booking their J1s already

Having those lads on the county panel is half the problem to be honest.

What problem? Is there a problem? If this group does not concentrate the minds of Knockmore and particularly Ballina then nothing will. Great group. Guaranteed matches worth watching. Proper stuff.

Yeah moysider, it's some clanger of a group alright. I don't think Knockmore will reach the knockout stages this year though. But by heck none of the 3 like losing to each other so I'm looking forward to it already even though we'll probably end up out at the group stage for the drama.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

the Deel Rover

Yeah if it twas a few years ago we would have a chance but we are getting a bit old at this stage tis between the other 3 teams in the group
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Owenmoresider

No Ballycroy in the Junior I see, have they packed it in altogether?

Might go to one or two of those Group B games, an interesting group, but it looks even enough, bar Group D possibly.

Mayo4Sam

i think based on the past 4-5 yrs its fair to say the best 5 teams in the county are those 3 ballagh and charlestown, k'more barely making it
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Davitt Man

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 19, 2009, 10:56:29 PM
i think based on the past 4-5 yrs its fair to say the best 5 teams in the county are those 3 ballagh and charlestown, k'more barely making it

Does anyone know the dates for the group c\ship games?