Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 15, 2009, 10:13:41 PM
championship draw wednesday night i hear. TF I would presume. Looking forward to it now

I wont be there so as our official gaaboard.com 'county board rep' we ill expect a full report and fixture list R&GS!!  ;)  :D

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 16, 2009, 11:48:55 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 15, 2009, 10:13:41 PM
championship draw wednesday night i hear. TF I would presume. Looking forward to it now

I wont be there so as our official gaaboard.com 'county board rep' we ill expect a full report and fixture list R&GS!!  ;)  :D

Good luck with that! Rag Week in Sligo beckons ;D
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

RedandGreenSniper

Plug pulled on Rag Week so made it to the draw this evening.

The north Mayo boys will be foaming at the mouth at the sight of Group 2 of the Senior :o :o

Senior
Group 1
Charlestown, Castlebar Mitchels, Aghamore, Garrymore
Group 2
Crossmolina, Knockmore, Ballinrobe and Ballina
Group 3
Ballaghaderreen, Breaffy, Shrule/Glencorrib and Burrishoole (first three were in same group last year)
Group 4
Claremorris, Ballintubber, Moy Davitts and Kiltane

Intermediate
Group 1
Kilmaine, Hollymount, Killala and Tourmakeady
Group 2
Belmullet, Crossmolina B, Swinford and Davitts
Group 3
Westport, Ballyhaunis, Achill and Bonniconlon (the exact same applies here as senior group 3)
Group 4
Louisburgh, Cill Chomain, Mayo Gaels and Kilmeena.

westmayo

Fixtures for the senior

Group A
Charlestown v Castlebar
Aghamore v Garry More

Garrymore v Charlestown
Castlebar v Aghamore

Charlestown v Aghamore
Castlebar v Garrymore

Group B
Cross v Knockmore
Ballinrobe v Ballina

Ballina v Cross
Knockmore v Ballinrobe

Crossmolina v Ballinrobe
Knockmore v Ballina

Group  C
Ballagh v Breaffy
Shurle v Burrishoole

Breaffy v Shrule
Burrishoole v Ballaghderreen

Ballagh v Shurle
Breaffy v Burrishoole

Group D
Claremorris v Ballintubber
Moy Davitts v Kiltane

Ballintubber v Moy Davitts
Kiltaine v Claremorris

Claremorris v Moy Davitts
Ballintubber v Kiltane

stephenite

Jesus wept - not only do half the Senior team decide to take a year out - we go and draw the enemy on either side of us in the championship. Not a hope of us getting out of that group

RedandGreenSniper

Whatever about Cross, surely beating Knockmore and Ballinrobe isn't out of the question Stephenite? I know yer missing a lot but Ger Brady, Ronan McGarrity, Ger Cafferkey, Pat Harte, Eanna Casey, Colm Leonard, Brian Ruane, David Clarke, Paul McGarry etc are all still around.

Mayo4Sam

How can 3 of the best 5 teams in the championship get thrown in together
disaster for all 3, they'll prob expend so much getting out of the group that it'll cost them in the knockout stages

Bit early for that sort of lark stephenite, playing the poor mouth and half the team on the county panel is a bit much, and we have a sub and an injured lad, sure we're f***ed, ballinrobe will probably beat us, i'd say they lads can start booking their J1s already
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

stephenite

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 19, 2009, 12:25:55 AM
disaster for all 3, they'll prob expend so much getting out of the group that it'll cost them in the knockout stages

Bit early for that sort of lark stephenite, playing the poor mouth and half the team on the county panel is a bit much, and we have a sub and an injured lad, sure we're f***ed, ballinrobe will probably beat us, i'd say they lads can start booking their J1s already

Having those lads on the county panel is half the problem to be honest.

moysider

Quote from: stephenite on February 19, 2009, 12:27:23 AM

What problem? Is there a problem? If this group does not concentrate the minds of Knockmore and particularly Ballina then nothing will. Great group. Guaranteed matches worth watching. Proper stuff.

stephenite

Quote from: moysider on February 19, 2009, 12:49:40 AM

What problem? Is there a problem?

Too many lads away with the County team for most of the year is a bit of a hindrance to the preparations of the senior team - any club manager will tell you that. It's great that they are getting the proper recognition for their skills but would Liam McHale rather they were concentrating on the club full time? Of course he would even though he'd never say it. It'll be worse this year if the likes of Hughes, Wynne etc are away, at least they would have played with some of these lads before.

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 18, 2009, 11:19:53 PM
Whatever about Cross, surely beating Knockmore and Ballinrobe isn't out of the question Stephenite? I know yer missing a lot but Ger Brady, Ronan McGarrity, Ger Cafferkey, Pat Harte, Eanna Casey, Colm Leonard, Brian Ruane, David Clarke, Paul McGarry etc are all still around.

Er,.............. no comment.

stephenite

If this group does not concentrate the minds of Knockmore and particularly Ballina then nothing will. Great group. Guaranteed matches worth watching. Proper stuff.

It will be great viewing - was half thinking of making a trip home during the Irish summer, I'll have to try and line the dates up to take in a few of these games if at all possible.

moysider

Quote from: stephenite on February 19, 2009, 12:54:29 AM

Too many lads away with the County team for most of the year is a bit of a hindrance to the preparations of the senior team - any club manager will tell you that. It's great that they are getting the proper recognition for their skills but would Liam McHale rather they were concentrating on the club full time? Of course he would even though he'd never say it. It'll be worse this year if the likes of Hughes, Wynne etc are away, at least they would have played with some of these lads before.

Of course but on the plus side you get so much more. Players with status, leadership, confidence, better fitness. I remember some fans I know from a club also in our group this year ( not Cross) pleased when Mayo were knocked out of championship because their county players would be focused on the club. I remember one of their county players opting out of county squad when he was appointed club captain - and he was a county regular. Make you wonder why we invest so much of ourselves in the county team if it may be seen as a distraction. I think clubs should delight in their players wearing the county jersey. The county certainly seems to be number 1 in counties like Kerry and Galway and maybe goes some way to explaining our underachievement as a county when we had a richness of players. McHale mentioned this in an interview with the press maybe 10 years ago.

moysider

Should that not be 2 subs and an injured lad, or 2 injured lads and a sub, or 3 injured lads. Are not all 3 injured?

stephenite

Quote from: moysider on February 19, 2009, 01:13:26 AM
Quote from: stephenite on February 19, 2009, 12:54:29 AM

Of course but on the plus side you get so much more. Players with status, leadership, confidence, better fitness. I remember some fans I know from a club also in our group this year ( not Cross) pleased when Mayo were knocked out of championship because their county players would be focused on the club. I remember one of their county players opting out of county squad when he was appointed club captain - and he was a county regular. Make you wonder why we invest so much of ourselves in the county team if it may be seen as a distraction. I think clubs should delight in their players wearing the county jersey. The county certainly seems to be number 1 in counties like Kerry and Galway and maybe goes some way to explaining our underachievement as a county when we had a richness of players. McHale mentioned this in an interview with the press maybe 10 years ago.

All fair points - and I'm not begrudging of the recognition those guys get. When all those thing happens the plus side is great.

However, I have known county guys to come back, sit in a dressing room nodding their head at the club manager and go out and play the game the way he thinks it should be played - or they way the county team are playing, not knowing the name of the young minor getting his debut at corner back etc. and generally being more of a hindrance than a help. It's rare that it happens, I'll grant you that but it does happen