Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jodyb

Lads, has anybody any word on where the Derry NFL game is bein played? Thanks

RedandGreenSniper

Yeah, its in Ballina. the New McHale Park won't be ready for it
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

jodyb

Cheers RGS, didn't realise there were 2 threads on here. Thought I'd gone mad :D

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: jodyb on January 17, 2009, 08:41:37 AM
Cheers RGS, didn't realise there were 2 threads on here. Thought I'd gone mad :D

No worries, another example of typical Mayo ineffeciency :D

Davitt Man

Is there any mayo club players on here based in dublin? Where do you train and is there many from your club up here?

Farrandeelin

Any sign of the draw been made for the Championship or has it been made already unbeknownst to me?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 25, 2009, 11:50:19 AM
Any sign of the draw been made for the Championship or has it been made already unbeknownst to me?

It has been, far as I am aware.
I heard two stout Mayo lads discussing it and from the sound of things the draw has been held. That's not much to go on I know, as Mayo lads in a pub might not be a reliable source of information. ;)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

criostlinn

Killala bet by 2 points. Fair play to Mitchells and best of luck to them in the a/i final.

fearsiuil

Quote from: Davitt Man on January 23, 2009, 10:12:33 AM
Is there any mayo club players on here based in dublin? Where do you train and is there many from your club up here?

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=10940.0

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Davitt Man on January 23, 2009, 10:12:33 AM

Davitt man i play for a junior club in crumlin, ur more than welcome to train with us, just PM me if ur interested
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

the Deel Rover

Seems to be a bit of pressure on the clubs to sell tickets for the new Mc Hale park it ain't going to be easy to sell tickets especially these days 

County Board draw tickets proved a contentious issue

Mike Finnerty

ALL the GAA clubs in the county will have to sell extra Mayo GAA Development Draw tickets this year in order to offset the cost of the redevelopment work at McHale Park — but many made their dissatisfaction and anger known about the levy at last week's County Board meeting in Castlebar.
Some urban clubs have seen their levy rise from 60 tickets up to 75 while many smaller, rural clubs will now have to sell 45 tickets, up from 30 in previous years.
A lengthy debate on the matter was sparked by a letter from the West Mayo Board to County Secretary Sean Feeney asking why an extra ticket levy had been placed on the clubs for the coming year.
"The increase in the levy arose after discussions among the top table regarding cash flow for the McHale Park development, after discussions between Ulster Bank and Croke Park...," Feeney told the assembled delegates.
"Our accountant recommended that €400,000 should be taken as the County Board Draw ticket levy but we felt that €300,000 would be sufficient. That means an increase of €100,000 on previous years, up from €200,000.
"This was a matter for the Board to decide, and if we are to meet our repayments, this is the minimum amount of money we must take from the draw. You must remember it is still less than our accountant suggested," he added.
Ballina Stephenites delegate Padraig Prendergast felt the ticket levy was excessive, especially due to the proximity of so many other clubs to Ballina. "Plus, we would feel that clubs had no say in this matter," he said. "It was just imposed on us."
In response, Peadar Higgins from Garrymore said: "One street in Ballina, Castlebar or Charlestown has more people than most of our catchment area."
James Waldron's solution to the urban versus rural debate was pragmatic. "Well, we can levy every club and forget about the draw altogether. We've been told by other counties that we should be charging a levy for coaches going into schools. We don't..."
Pat McManamon from Burrishoole also joined the debate. "I'd be worried about clubs' ability to pay this levy now because of the recession. A small club could find itself this year with an extra bill of €3,000 to €4,000 with rising insurance costs, bus hire and falling lotto sales. I would say it's very debatable that all clubs can meet their targets."
Sensing the uneasy mood, James Waldron felt it prudent to adopt a 'Barack Obama' approach with the day that was in it. "There hasn't been a levy increase for quite some time," he said. "McHale Park when it's finished is going to be a fine facility, with a great stand, a gymnasium...It's something we have to have, going forward. We're calling on clubs to support it because it will be well worth it."
In response, one delegate asked how a figure of an extra 15 or 20 tickets per club was arrived at rather than a 'percentage of tickets sold' increase?
JP Lambe, the County Board Treasurer, took the microphone at this stage. "Up to now two-thirds of clubs have made money on the draw and one-third just sold the minimum amount. We could impose the same levy on all clubs, it's up to ye. Clubs either sell the tickets or get levied... We have to get €300,000."
Ollie Dillon from Ballintubber then highlighted the issue of rising unemployment, at which point James Waldron rattled his sabre for the first time. "I'd like to confine this to club delegates. Clubs can bring in plenty of representatives but only delegates can vote so only then should speak."
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Gerry Bourke from Breaffy underlined the problems facing clubs in the current economic climate. "Hardly a Saturday night goes by that I don't walk the streets of Castlebar selling lotto tickets. There's a hardcore of people in every club that fundraise and we need to get more people to sell within our clubs. We need to broaden our thinking, think outside the box."
Padraig Staunton from Moygownagh then struck a chord that resonated with a lot of the county's smaller clubs. "Originally, when the County Board draw came on stream, we were asked to sell 30 tickets. Our increase is 15 tickets, or 50%, yet some clubs that have been selling 60 tickets also have to sell an extra 15, or 25%."
The County Chairman stuck to his guns. "I would ask you to support us on this one for this year," replied James Waldron.
However, the last word went to Burrishoole's Pat McManamon: "A lot of the resentment to the increase came from the two sources. Firstly, we were told last year that the McHale Park development wouldn't impinge on clubs. And, secondly, the way it was announced."
"Lessons can be learned from that," concluded James Waldron.

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Davitt Man

Any word on the club c\ship draws yet??

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Davitt Man on February 10, 2009, 05:22:17 PM
Any word on the club c\ship draws yet??

Haven't even heard a date for the draws DM  ::) Selling tickets for the new McHale Park appears to be the only priority at the moment

Davitt Man

The times & dates for the leagues are up on the mayogaa website. The c\ship draw should be done soon

RedandGreenSniper

championship draw wednesday night i hear. TF I would presume. Looking forward to it now