Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Syferus on October 04, 2013, 05:34:57 PM
Mad that they use McHale Park for all quarter-finals. Same thing can happen here with the Hyde but usually only if it's a good mid-way point for two teams. Semis are invariably at the Hyde. Surely club grounds only is the way to go for the club championships in general? I can only imagine what a match like Breaffy-Ballagh would have been like in either town, or at least in a properly-sized ground. Robbing matches of their souls basically.

All the best to the Ballagh lads.

Sure Breaffy Village is attached to Castlebar and parts of Castlebar town is Breaffy parish. McHale Park is almost in Breaffy.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

maigheo

1.13 to 1.08 in favor of knockmore.Ten min to go

From the Bunker

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 06, 2013, 04:35:43 PM
Mad that they use McHale Park for all quarter-finals. Same thing can happen here with the Hyde but usually only if it's a good mid-way point for two teams. Semis are invariably at the Hyde. Surely club grounds only is the way to go for the club championships in general? I can only imagine what a match like Breaffy-Ballagh would have been like in either town, or at least in a properly-sized ground. Robbing matches of their souls basically.

Sure Breaffy Village is attached to Castlebar and parts of Castlebar town is Breaffy parish. McHale Park is almost in Breaffy.

Breaffy is a subparish of Castlebar. The McHale road thing had to do with lads from that area who played for Soccer for Castlebar Celtic and wanted to play Gaelic. Mitchels did not favourably on this and so the lads headed out to Breaffy where there was no bother. Today most lads in the town would play for Mitchels. From Moneen out towards Breaffy there would be a leaning toward Breaffy. This is due to townies on that side of town heading to the more local School in Breaffy and following on to play for the club. Ballyheane is in Breaffys catchment, but allot of players are lost to Ballintubber. On the swing side there are many players at the back of (Parke) Keelogues parish there are a couple of townlands with Breaffy in their address and these veer towards Breaffy. Swings and roundabouts!

maigheo

Castlebar v Knockmore..Breaffy v Charlestown  are the semifinal match ups.Games next sunday in McHale Park

bucko

Judging by the score lines of the four games they seemed to be fairly entertaining affairs, maybe with the exception of the Castlebar v Ballina game being a bit one sided. What was the quality of the football like over the weekend?

Farrandeelin

Really disappointed for Kilcoyne. I was high up in the stand and you could hear him roaring in pai.. Desperate luck for him. Hope he recovers sooner rather than later.

As for the game itself, I could only admire the workrate of the Knockmore team. The amount of times they won ball in the backs was brill. Pity our midfield is so poor. I'd say Ballintubber didn't know what hit them. K'more seemed to play like men possessed.

Still standing. Next wk, we won't be...but I hope the boys do themselves justice.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 06, 2013, 06:36:59 PM
Really disappointed for Kilcoyne. I was high up in the stand and you could hear him roaring in pai.. Desperate luck for him. Hope he recovers sooner rather than later.

As for the game itself, I could only admire the workrate of the Knockmore team. The amount of times they won ball in the backs was brill. Pity our midfield is so poor. I'd say Ballintubber didn't know what hit them. K'more seemed to play like men possessed.

Still standing. Next wk, we won't be...but I hope the boys do themselves justice.

That's it, keep up the defeatist talk farr ;-)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

muppet

Quote from: bucko on October 06, 2013, 06:02:05 PM
Judging by the score lines of the four games they seemed to be fairly entertaining affairs, maybe with the exception of the Castlebar v Ballina game being a bit one sided. What was the quality of the football like over the weekend?

C'mon Mitchels!
MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 06, 2013, 04:52:07 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 06, 2013, 04:35:43 PM

Breaffy is a subparish of Castlebar. The McHale road thing had to do with lads from that area who played for Soccer for Castlebar Celtic and wanted to play Gaelic. Mitchels did not favourably on this and so the lads headed out to Breaffy where there was no bother. Today most lads in the town would play for Mitchels. From Moneen out towards Breaffy there would be a leaning toward Breaffy. This is due to townies on that side of town heading to the more local School in Breaffy and following on to play for the club. Ballyheane is in Breaffys catchment, but allot of players are lost to Ballintubber. On the swing side there are many players at the back of (Parke) Keelogues parish there are a couple of townlands with Breaffy in their address and these veer towards Breaffy. Swings and roundabouts!

Am I correct that Marylands, and the Ballyheane side of the railway bridge of Castlebar,Mons Terrace, the Industrial Estate, Kilkenny Cross and Rocklands and some of Moneen are actually in Breaffy not Castlebar. Also Clonkeen appears to be Breaffy and not Castlebar or Islaneady!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on October 06, 2013, 07:27:02 PM

C'mon Mitchels!

+1

Farrandeelin

Results

Treanlaur Catering Mayo G.A.A. Senior Football Championship - Quarter Finals
Castlebar Mitchels 1-20 Ballina Stephenites 2-8
Charlestown Sarsfields 2-17 Garrymore 2-10
Breaffy 0-17 Ballaghaderreen 2-7
Knockmore 1-15 Ballintubber 1-10

Relegation Play-offs
Shrule/Glencorrib 1-14 Tuar Mhic Éadaigh 1-8
Davitts 1-11 Aghamore 1-10

Egan Jewellers Mayo G.A.A. Intermediate Football Championship - Relegation Play-offs
Mayo Gaels 1-9 Achill 0-10
Béal an Mhuirthead 1-13 Bonniconlon 0-11

Mayo G.A.A. Senior Football League - Division 1B
Bohola Moy Davitts 0-12 Kiltane 2-8
Ballyhaunis 0-9 Kiltane 4-13

Division 1C
Louisburgh 1-10 Kilmovee Shamrocks 0-6
Islandeady 2-16 Cill Chomáin 1-3

Division 1D
Killala w/o Knockmore 0-0
Castlebar Mitchels 5-20 Lacken 2-4
Kilmeena 2-9 Ballycaste 0-9
Davitts 0-11 Westport 2-10
Bohola Moy Davitts 1-13 Ballintubber 0-12

Division 1E
Ballina Stephenites 2-10 Swinford 2-11

Division 1E
Hollymount-Carramore  10  19
Kiltane  10  17
Balla  10  14
Ballina Stephenites  10  13
Claremorris  10  13
Ardagh  10  12
Eastern Gaels  10  10
Burrishoole  10  9
Moygownagh  10  4
Swinford  10  3
Breaffy  10  2
Ballaghaderreen  10  2
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 05, 2013, 09:18:41 PM
Seems so M4S. The amount of top class club players they have is frightening. Going for 2 U-21s in a row as well. If they get their act together they'll be a force for a few years I'd say.
Going for 4 in a row aren't they? & u-21 success is one of reasons for Brigids strength today. With Tubber,Ballagh out it looks like Mitchels will win their first senior county title for 20 years.

On another note is Denis Kearney still manager of Charlestown?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on October 06, 2013, 11:32:02 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 05, 2013, 09:18:41 PM
Seems so M4S. The amount of top class club players they have is frightening. Going for 2 U-21s in a row as well. If they get their act together they'll be a force for a few years I'd say.
Going for 4 in a row aren't they? & u-21 success is one of reasons for Brigids strength today. With Tubber,Ballagh out it looks like Mitchels will win their first senior county title for 20 years.

On another note is Denis Kearney still manager of Charlestown?

Yeah.

bucko

Quote from: muppet on October 06, 2013, 07:27:02 PM

C'mon Mitchels!
So instead of my question being answered I get opportunistic cheerleading?!?! ;)

ludermor

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 04, 2013, 07:47:59 PM
Quote from: ludermor on October 03, 2013, 11:47:25 AM
Great to see Kiltane come straight back up from intermediate, they continue the proud record of never having lost a championship game!

Huh?? Intermediate championship game or what??
Opps, correct and post amended!