Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Farrandeelin

Junior Football Championship - Final

Islandeady 1-10 Ardnaree 0-9.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 09, 2011, 05:16:49 PM
Junior Football Championship - Final

Islandeady 1-10 Ardnaree 0-9.
`deserved it acc to MW
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Davitt Man

Has anyone heard that the county board could be changing the club league strutures for next year?

Davitt Man

Indications are that there will be some major changes to the structure of next season's Mayo senior football leagues – including 12 teams in at least the top three divisions.

Michael Gallagher has details of that and the rest of the happenings at last week's monthly meeting of Mayo County Board.

COUNTY players will definitely be lining out for their clubs in the 2012 Mayo senior leagues.

It had been proposed at last month's meeting that the possibility of playing the league without county players be investigated in order to provide meaningful football for club players during the summer months, but when delegates reconvened last week this proposal was quickly blown out of the water.

Castlebar's Brendan Byrne was among those against the idea. "If lads became part-time club players it would lead to a state of elitism. I'm totally against the proposal because some lads could end up getting only two or three games of football in the year. The way the county panel is structured there are seven or eight lads there who mightn't get to play for the county and if they can't play league games for the club they might end up with only two or three championship games in the year."

Ollie Dillon from Ballintubber agreed with his neighbour, as did Garrymore's John Farragher who said his club had only one county player but they wouldn't line out without him.

Mike Connelly from the fixtures committee then explained that the current situation with 11 clubs in each division wasn't working because one club wouldn't be lining out in the final round.

"Ideally we'd round it down to 10 teams in each division and that would free up a weekend for us as well next season."

Breaffy's Jim O'Shea was more in favour of changing the leagues to 12-team divisions and added that this would provide players with more meaningful games.

"Adjust the numbers up to 12 and that will give players 11 league games and those added to the three or four championship games will bring players very near the minimum number of 16 competitive games that Croke Park recommend. Less league games also make it harder for clubs to maintain their position in a division, so there are benefits for everyone if the number is rounded up to 12," the Breaffy manager added.

Michael Diskin from Castlebar said that by and large, Mayo's fixture schedule was as good or better than any in the country, and he had strong views on measures to improve the situation.

"County panels should be reduced to 24 players. There are lots of lads getting no football at all. There are 10 or 12 surplus to requirements and here in Mitchels we had three or four who were neither on or off the panel. This, and the 13 day rule is killing club football. The seven-day rule should be applied in some cases and that would help the situation too," he added.

After a lengthy and varied discussion Paddy McNicholas said that the structure of leagues was an issue for the CCC but agreed that the general consensus seemed to suggest that 12-team leagues were the preferred option. This will have a knockon effect on some promotion and relegation matters this year.

Farrandeelin

Intermediate Final today. I've a feeling Burrishoole will make amends for last year.

bucko

:(Very disappointed, a poor first half performance followed by a brilliant second half comeback. Just couldn't take the important chances at the vital times. Congrats to Davitts tho, Conroy should definitely be given a good run in the league with Mayo given his club championship form this year. Could only catch it on Madwest due to work, anyone at it see any other stand out performances?

From the Bunker

Conroy had a dinger in the Semi-final against Parke. Not sure if Intercounty suits him, but never say never and trying him might be no harm. Davitts are a first half team and like the semi v Parke they faded badly in midfield against B/shule in the second half. Still they pulled it out today and fair dues!

Farrandeelin

Jaysus, I'd say the Burrish boys are suffering. Losing 2 intermediate finals is awful. It's a hard championship to win, and I wouldn't bet on Charlestown coming back up again straight away next year either.

joemamas

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 17, 2011, 07:27:26 PM
Jaysus, I'd say the Burrish boys are suffering. Losing 2 intermediate finals is awful. It's a hard championship to win, and I wouldn't bet on Charlestown coming back up again straight away next year either.

I dont think anybody in Charlestown would be betting on them coming back up next year. They did beat Ballintubber at the weekend, go figure, although I wonder how understrength they were.

Farrandeelin

Jesus County final fever has really kicked in on this thread...

sans pessimism

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 19, 2011, 06:13:38 PM
Abbey,Tubber.Spuds et al will be back on Mon.(Triumphantly!)
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

muppet

Quote from: sans pessimism on October 19, 2011, 09:46:35 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 19, 2011, 06:13:38 PM
Abbey,Tubber.Spuds et al will be back on Mon.(Triumphantly!)

Are Tubber in the minor as well?
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 29, 2011, 10:21:34 PM
A lot of lads here need to go to the Poor Mouth School. Some very amateur efforts.

Well I was proven right unfortunately. :-\

Farrandeelin

Ballina 3-9 Castlebar 1-8 Minor A final.