Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Any chance teams like Breaffy (O'Ses x 2 & Hennelley), Ballintubber (Dillon & CO'C) & Castlebar (Feeneys x 2 & Cunniffe) will suffer somewhat on account of their star players being only a week after the defeat to Kerry?

I have a feeling Breaffy might be most at risk on that front.

Farrandeelin

I have an awful feeling that Knockmore will end up losing to Ballagh this weekend.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 24, 2011, 03:18:00 PM
I have an awful feeling that Knockmore will end up losing to Ballagh this weekend.

You worry too much Farrandeelin ;D

Two very decent matches today in fairness for a tenner. Some great scores and some very good individual displays.

joemamas

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 18, 2011, 10:37:00 AM
Ah I mightnt like all the local lads but at least you'd have time for them. Played c'town a lot underage in soccer and football for club and school and they were always a sneaky underhand shower. They had a settled traveller on the soccer team, would have been U-14/16, he was about 20 by the time the U-16 came about, no birth cert but the world and it's mother knew he was no more U-16.
Ginger Tiernan pretty much epitomises Charlestown for me

Could not let this comment go without a rebuttal.

1. Charlestown "an sneaky underhand shower" please elaborate in a gaelic football sense", if anything Charlestown's biggest criticism was that there was little or no cynicism to their game.

2. Gaelic and Soccer have zero connection in Charlestown. Most play Gaelic, the few that play soccer do not. How did you play Charlestown in underage Gaelic club games ?, have the divisonal boundries been redrawn renently.
As for a traveller playing organized sports, soccer in this case, well absolutely disgraceful, what will we have next in 2011 , Asian, Eastern Europeans, Blacks playing local sports. That comment is like saying I hate Galway football because a traveller played for their soccer team.

3. As for Ginger Teirnan, as Abbeysider said, A club legend, he epitomises everything a club and county football team needs. No need to elaborate on that.

Methinks you disdain for Charlestown lies with the 2-19 to 0-8 pt defeat you suffered from us in the 2001 county senior final,  in addition to the loss you suffered in the 2009 County senior final.

Charlestown may very well get relegated, they are suffering from the same fate as a lot of small rural clubs, lack of employment locally and renewed immigration, a fate their club were decimated from in the 1980's. Your lazy attempt to colour your disdain for them with anything related to what happened on a Gaelic football field is pretty pathetic to say the least.

Farrandeelin

Jesus someone is touchy! All M4S did was state his opinion. Anyway, maybe I do worry too much but I got a real fright in 2nd half of our game! Two entertaining games and credit must go to Breaffy who cameback from 7 down at one stage to finish level without scoring a goal.

saffronandblue

Thought Ginget Teirnan was deserving of an extended run on the Mayo team over the years.  My type of player.

Good win for Knockmore today, missed the game today, but heard that Killer played well ;)

Farrandeelin

Killer will probably get motm, but McLoughlin had a great game on Andy Moran. Then he was moved outfield and Moran scored 2 goals! Mad altogether. At least wr held on. Hard to know if Ballina will be jappy or not. Yes they were 7 ahead, butI thought Breaffy were the best team apart from the first ten mins both halves.

Farrandeelin

Ballintubber and Castlebar won today. Any reports on those matches? Anyone from a lesser club (Intermediate or Junior) like to give us their impressions of those games?

moysider

Kirby blasts Mitchels in to the final four
Mayo Advertiser, August 28, 2011.
Mayo SFC QF
By Colm Gannon, Mchale Park

Castlebar Mitchels 2-10

Crossmolina Deel Rovers 1-9

It may or not be the last time that we see Ciaran McDonald in full flight for Crossmolina Deel Rovers in McHale Park as his side were knocked out of the Trenlaur Senior Football Championship at the quarter final stage by Castlebar Mitchels in McHale Park on Sunday.

McDonald lined out at midfield for the Deel Rovers and nine minutes into the game he scored a goal that lit up an afternoon of interesting if not exciting football. The men from the county town ran out deserved winners by four points thanks to a brace of goals from the imposing Danny Kirby. His second goal five minutes from the end killed off a brave fight back from Crossmolina. Neil Douglas did very well in the corner to win the ball under pressure, before he found Kirby who was breaking at pace from the half forward line. Kirby took the ball at speed and drove an unstoppable shot past Colm Reilly in the Crossmolina goal to put Mitchels up by 2-8 to 1-8, at a point that the game looked to be swinging in John Maughan's side's favour.

While Kirby is one of a number of young star players making their way through the Mitchels ranks it was one of the old stagers who was the linchpin to the Mitchels win. Kevin Filan once again put in a stirling performance in the full forward line, winning a number of balls and looking composed scoring from frees and play.

The sides went in level at the break on a score of 1-4 each, with both sides having goal chance early on. Tom Cunniffe drove forward from the the throw in but pulled his shot wide of the post with the goal at his mercy. Brian Benson then managed to skip around his man and Castlebar goalkeeper Ciaran Naughton, but he tried to pass it across to a team mate from a tight angle instead of taking on the shot himself.

McDonald's goal nine minutes in was a thing of beauty, the ball was played down the left channel to Benson who fed it back to McDonald and with the outside of his left boot he curled the ball past the dive of Naughton into the far corner. Crossmolina added on points from McDonald and Ian Rowland, with Castlebar replying through Neil Douglas and Sean Ryder leaving it 1-2 to 0-2 after 15 minutes. Kevin Filan knocked over a score from close in, which was quickly followed by one from Shane Hopkins. Last years beaten county finalists then plundered their first goal of the game when a free from Neil Lydon dropped short of the target, Kirby rose to win the ball and under pressure drove the ball to the back of the net to put his side two clear. But Crossmolina fought back and McDonald kicked a free, before Ian Rowland got the second of his two outstanding points in the half from out near the right touchline, he previously kicked one from near the left touchline.

The second half saw the sides swapping points early on with Mitchels pushing out into a 1-7 to 1-5 lead after 15 minutes, but Crossmolina battled back and reeled off three points of their own through two from Joe Keane and one from McDonald to push them one point in front and Castlebar were looking rattled. But the Mitchels ship was put back on course from a good point by Filan, before Kirby kicked his second goal of the game, pushing his side to victory.

Castlebar Mitchels: C Naughton; N McCarney, A Feeney, E Reilly; R Feeney, T Cunniffe, S Ryder (0-1); B Moran, S Fitzmaurice, S Hopkins (0-1), N Lydon (0-1), D Joyce; D Kirby (2-0), K Filan, (05,2f) N Douglas (0-1,1f). Subs: A Walsh, F Durkin

Crossmolina Deel Rovers: C Reilly; R Rochford, D Syron, J O'Boyle; P Gardiner, S Rochford, D Keating; C McDonald (1-3,3f), G Walsh; P Duffy, J Keane(0-2), C Carolan; B Benson (0-2), J Cafferty, I Rowland (0-2). Subs: H McLoughlin, M Gallagher, D Hegarty.

Ref: R Gurren (Aghamore)

O'Connor on form for champions
Mayo Advertiser, August 28, 2011.
Mayo SFC QF
By Colm Gannon, Mchale Park

Ballintubber 0-13

Shrule Glencorrib 1-7

The defending county senior champions Ballintubber overcame a potentially tricky encounter with Shrule Glencorrib to ensure that their title defence will last until at least the semi final stage of the competition. The three point gap on the scoreboard at the end of the tie, might give the impression that this was a close encounter, but in reality Ballintubber were well worthy winners and only a late Eoin Ronaldson goal in injury time put some gloss on the scoreboard for the south Mayo side.

Both sides had one change from the teams they named for the program early in the week, with Paul Early for Ballintubber and David Geraghty for Shrule Glencorrib not starting the game. Myles Kelly replaced Early for the champions while Shane Hennelly came in for the border club. Cillian O'Connor was the star performer over the 60 minutes kicking eight points for his side, three of them from play. His eight scores matched the total number of scores that Shrule could muster in response to his sides challenge. O'Connor was dangerous every-time he got the ball and gave Dermot Geraghty a tough afternoon, dragging him all over the Shrule Glencorrib defence.

By the 18th minute, Ballintubber were leading by 0-4 to 0-2 thanks to four O'Connor points with Shrule replying through points from Mark Ronaldson and Conor Mortimer. Mortimer who is working his way back to fitness looked to be in good shape during the game and finished the contest with five points over the 60 minutes, but Shrule Glencorrib failed to create enough in front of the posts to trouble Anthony McGarry's side. Ballintubber went in leading by 0-7 to 0-2 at the break, with Micheál Hoban the only other man to score for the champions with two points in the opening 30 minutes. The game threatened to boil over on a few occasions in the first half as tempers frayed and referee Michael Daly could have shown a few red cards on a couple of occasions after some flare ups.

Shrule Glencorrib really needed to get a goal early in the second half if they were going to have any chance of pulling a victory from the jaws of defeat. But it was Ballintubber who pushed on early in the half to lead by 0-10 to 0-3 after 38 minutes. In the 40th minute the south Mayo men did get that chance when Conor Mortimer got in behind the Ballintubber defence for the only time in the game. A long ball from Trevor Mortimer bounced in front of Cathal Hallinan and over his head, Mortimer was lurking in behind and made a beeline for the goal, but he wasn't able to keep his shot down and blazed the ball over the bar when it was a goal his side really needed.

Ballintubber kept plugging away and never really had to get out of third gear and kept adding scores to the board with Alan Plunkett and Alan Dillon getting in on the act, before Shrule's late goal caused a few nervous moments before the final whistle was blown.

Ballintubber will be happy to have got over this game without really having to full exert themselves and will be confident that they have plenty in reserve for the next hurdle in the championship.

Ballintubber: B Walsh; G Loftus, C Hallinan, M Kelly; T Early, D Geraghty, G Dillon; M Hoban (0-2), J Gibbons; A Dillon (0-1), A Plunkett (0-2), M Nestor; P O'Connor, K McGuinness, C O'Connor (0-8, 5f). Subs: D Coleman, D McGing.

Shrule Glencorrib: P Conroy; D Geraghty, C O'Dowd, R Walsh; D McTighe, T Mortimer, J Naughton; K Conroy, J Lohan; E Ronaldson (1-0), B Murphy (0-1), M Ronaldson (0-1), K Walsh, S Hennelly, C Mortimer (0-5, 3f). Subs: D Geraghty, L Garvey, N Sullivan

Ref: M Daly (Ballyhaunis)

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 27, 2011, 11:48:56 PM
Killer will probably get motm, but McLoughlin had a great game on Andy Moran. Then he was moved outfield and Moran scored 2 goals! Mad altogether. At least wr held on. Hard to know if Ballina will be jappy or not. Yes they were 7 ahead, butI thought Breaffy were the best team apart from the first ten mins both halves.

Yes it was mad. 100%. But had McLoughlin already been moved out when he made that interception that led to the second goal can you remember? He had a couple of other good carrys as well. But they probably should have left him on Andy.

Very encouraging weekend in the light of what has happened this year with the county team. A couple of serious cutting edge young forwards emerging.

macdanger2

When's the draw for the S/Fs?

Looks like it could be another Castlebar v Ballintubber final.

macdanger2

Should be two fairly decent games next Saturday in Castlebar - relegation playoff between Kiltane & Charlestown and Ballina & Breaffy's replay.

saffronandblue

In relation to last weekends games, I was of the opinion that a number of players were sent off in previous club games with straight reds and should have been suspended for the last round of matches....were Jennings and O' Connor and I think there was another lad not given straight reds.  I hope the powers that be in Mayo football apply the same get out clause to players from other areas of the County should they be in the same boat.....does anyone know on here what the story was in these cases???????????

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: saffronandblue on August 30, 2011, 09:07:17 PM
In relation to last weekends games, I was of the opinion that a number of players were sent off in previous club games with straight reds and should have been suspended for the last round of matches....were Jennings and O' Connor and I think there was another lad not given straight reds.  I hope the powers that be in Mayo football apply the same get out clause to players from other areas of the County should they be in the same boat.....does anyone know on here what the story was in these cases???????????

O'Connor's was appealed as far as I'm aware. With regard to Micheal Jennings, his red card was downgraded to a yellow because the linesman told the referee that he hadn't done what the referee initially thought the linesman had told him. Which was right, he shouldered Andrew Keane after Keane patted Aidan O'Shea on the head when O'Shea was sent off, for two yellows. From what I gather from the O'Connor situation, it shouldn't have been a red card either and I think video evidence may have been used so nothing issues in both cases.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Mayo4Sam

I'll reply to this in detail when I'm back on a laptop but for 2, I made no derogatory comment about the traveller lad playing football, please dont twist my words, I think it was clear my issue was with him being old enough to have fathered the team, which would go in part to explain 1!
We played C'town in league football and schools, foxford, and all the same lads played underage, mulligans would have been direct opponents, Alan, maybe eoin.

I'm also confused because you claim I'm upset about '01 & '09 but then my lazy attempt to colour my disdain for ye with anything related to what happened on a Gaelic football field is pretty pathetic to say the least? Surely a contradiction?

If I was upset about losing a county final it would be Ballina in 04, I really thought we should win and they went on to win the AI. If I thought we robbed a county final it would be (ahem) '92.

Quote from: joemamas on August 27, 2011, 10:42:29 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 18, 2011, 10:37:00 AM
Ah I mightnt like all the local lads but at least you'd have time for them. Played c'town a lot underage in soccer and football for club and school and they were always a sneaky underhand shower. They had a settled traveller on the soccer team, would have been U-14/16, he was about 20 by the time the U-16 came about, no birth cert but the world and it's mother knew he was no more U-16.
Ginger Tiernan pretty much epitomises Charlestown for me

Could not let this comment go without a rebuttal.

1. Charlestown "an sneaky underhand shower" please elaborate in a gaelic football sense", if anything Charlestown's biggest criticism was that there was little or no cynicism to their game.

2. Gaelic and Soccer have zero connection in Charlestown. Most play Gaelic, the few that play soccer do not. How did you play Charlestown in underage Gaelic club games ?, have the divisonal boundries been redrawn renently.
As for a traveller playing organized sports, soccer in this case, well absolutely disgraceful, what will we have next in 2011 , Asian, Eastern Europeans, Blacks playing local sports. That comment is like saying I hate Galway football because a traveller played for their soccer team.

3. As for Ginger Teirnan, as Abbeysider said, A club legend, he epitomises everything a club and county football team needs. No need to elaborate on that.

Methinks you disdain for Charlestown lies with the 2-19 to 0-8 pt defeat you suffered from us in the 2001 county senior final,  in addition to the loss you suffered in the 2009 County senior final.

Charlestown may very well get relegated, they are suffering from the same fate as a lot of small rural clubs, lack of employment locally and renewed immigration, a fate their club were decimated from in the 1980's. Your lazy attempt to colour your disdain for them with anything related to what happened on a Gaelic football field is pretty pathetic to say the least.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me