What was the best goal scored in an All Ireland final?

Started by BennyCake, April 08, 2020, 04:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: BennyCake on April 08, 2020, 09:15:49 PM
Quote from: Tatler Jack on April 08, 2020, 08:41:27 PM
Quote from: time ticking away on April 08, 2020, 08:00:20 PM
Declan Meehan goal.
Jack o shea also against roscommon was a fine goal

Jack O'Shea did not score a goal against Roscommon in an AI final.

Joe Kavanagh scored 2 great goals in 1993 and 1999 and was on losing team on both occasions.

Neither were better than O'Driscoll's. The pass and finish were sublime:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B1jj5FWMTg8

It was a well taken goal alright, but the pass in made it.
However, I think Seamus Downey's goal in the same game was unreal. He was running towards goal with the ball coming over his head, he gets a fist to it beating a defender and a the keeper. The fact that it led to Derry's first and only AI title just adds weight to the importance of that goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3nX-rboJf4

Maybe I'm biased though.

DuffleKing

Meehan's. The movement, the vision, the final pass and the finish were all out of the top drawer.

GetOverTheBar

Recent, but Eoin Murchans goal is worth a mention in this.

Stuff dreams are made of to sprint down middle of pitch and clip it into corner with outside of the boot.

He should have been hauled down....but, none the less.  Excellent goal and really set the Dubs on the road that day.

rosnarun

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 09, 2020, 05:02:35 PM

Stuff dreams are made of to sprint down middle of pitch and clip it into corner with outside of the boot.

He should have been hauled down....but, none the less.  Excellent goal and really set the Dubs on the road that day.
legal goals only surely ...
m Sheeys goal against paddy Cullen for the inventiveness and still takes it for me. how often do people fluff rushed free kicks.
that  or barney Rocks against galway if he meant it,

More recently lee kegans 2016 is hard to beat
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

From the Bunker

In fairness the lad took so many illegal steps. A bit like Con O'Callaghan's first v Mayo in 2017.

Has there ever been a modern inter-county game where a referee has disallowed a goal for steps?

Rufus T Firefly

Declan Meehan for me too. From memory they were under pressure in the corner on their own end line and moved the ball over the length of the pitch and ended with a brilliant finish.

I know it's irrelevant for this thread, but I recall a brilliant Donegal goal in a defeat to Dublin, in Croke Park, in recent years. Donegal were well beat on the night (I think it was a Saturday evening fixture) and I always thought the goal got subsequently overlooked. 

BennyCake

Jaysus, I just remembered Colm Cooper's goal in 2004 v Mayo.

Colm O'Neills goal in 2009 v Kerry wasn't bad either.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 09, 2020, 05:26:33 PM

In fairness the lad took so many illegal steps. A bit like Con O'Callaghan's first v Mayo in 2017.

Has there ever been a modern inter-county game where a referee has disallowed a goal for steps?

Yes, but they still counted....and won the All Ireland. We don't have VAR....yet.

From the Bunker

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 09, 2020, 09:04:08 PM

Yes, but they still counted....and won the All Ireland. We don't have VAR....yet.

But we do have hindsight and in hindsight they were goals scored fouling the ball!

Still think Barney Rock's goal v Galway is the best!

rosnarun

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 09, 2020, 09:04:08 PM

what a hollow victory that would be , I don't imagine mayo would bring the cup home in such circumstances

weareros

Last big one I remember is 1990 All-Ireland semi when a class Tony McManus goal was disallowed for steps. He probably took a couple more than he should but so much worse gets away today. 1 minute in on this link:

https://youtu.be/1e9gQBRADPc

rosnarun

Quote from: weareros on April 10, 2020, 12:37:30 AM

Last big one I remember is 1990 All-Ireland semi when a class Tony McManus goal was disallowed for steps. He probably took a couple more than he should but so much worse gets away today. 1 minute in on this link:

https://youtu.be/1e9gQBRADPc
that was a rough one alright . ref seemed to blow on 4 1/2 step .
but ive bee watching GAA gold the last while and refs were much fussier then , the conceot of letting the game flow had not been invented . the game was crying out for the advantage rule

GalwayBayBoy

Not easy to find the full version of Dec Meehan's 2000 goal online but found it on twitter. I had forgotten how well Divilly did right at the start of it.

https://twitter.com/brendans_gaa/status/1245694349628846081

Orior

Joe Kernan's first goal against Dublin in the 1977 final.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

From the Bunker