Northern Ireland Media and the GAA

Started by Feckitt, March 04, 2013, 02:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

On Sunday the wife landed home with the Sunday Mirror,  yes, yes I know it's an English paper, but it is the NI edition and it is a paper with a big circulation.  How much coverage did it give to the days big sporting event, All Ireland Champions Donegal v Tyrone.  None, nada, nil, zilch.  It managed a full two pages for NI soccer featuring Coleraine v somebody.  The Sunday Mirror does usually cover the gaa, but on a part time basis, and puts it at the very end of the sports pages along side, snooker, darts, bowls, pigeons. 

I have lots of other examples of this, but I could be typing here all day.

Gaa supporters should vote with their feet, but I also think the Ulster Council need to take a hefty share of the blame for not demanding fair coverage of our games.

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Nally Stand

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 04, 2013, 02:30:20 PM
Do we really have to do this again?

As long as the problem exists, then yes!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

deiseach

The Sunday Mirror is not the BBC, it has no public service obligation. If you don't like it, don't buy it or read it (eyeballs matter).

Denn Forever

Buy the Sunday World or the Sunday Independent.  Buy Irish (?).
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Billys Boots

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 04, 2013, 02:47:25 PM

Well I hope it works better for ye this time than the last twenty times - best of luck with that!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Nally Stand

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 04, 2013, 02:51:41 PM
Buy the Sunday World or the Sunday Independent.  Buy Irish (?).

I think I'd nearly rather buy the Sunday Mirror.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 04, 2013, 02:58:18 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on March 04, 2013, 02:47:25 PM

Well I hope it works better for ye this time than the last twenty times - best of luck with that!

It's the squeaky wheel gets the oil!

nifan

Quote from: Feckitt on March 04, 2013, 02:29:13 PM
Gaa supporters should vote with their feet, but I also think the Ulster Council need to take a hefty share of the blame for not demanding fair coverage of our games.

How would the Ulster Council demand anything from a private newspaper? Unless they are advertising in it i doubt they would have much sway.
The paper obviously thinks its coverage reflects its readership - if it wasn't they would change.

deiseach

Quote from: nifan on March 04, 2013, 03:10:09 PM
How would the Ulster Council demand anything from a private newspaper? Unless they are advertising in it i doubt they would have much sway.
The paper obviously thinks its coverage reflects its readership - if it wasn't they would change.

Are you suggesting a newspaper would be swayed in its editorial output by base commercial considerations? I'm outraged, I tells you, OUTRAGED.

nifan

Quote from: deiseach on March 04, 2013, 03:13:27 PM
Are you suggesting a newspaper would be swayed in its editorial output by base commercial considerations? I'm outraged, I tells you, OUTRAGED.

I am sure it would be subconsciously only of course.

ziggysego

Buy a newspaper that has the contents you want to read. Don't buy a newspaper that doesn't and then complain.

As deiseach said, it's a very different matter to the BBC.
Testing Accessibility

Eamonnca1

That's like picking up the Newsletter and complaining about whiny unionist editorials.

Itchy

The Sunday indo is excellent for rolling up in balls and stuffing into your mucky wet boots. Outside of that no good for anything.

dillinger

Think that was the Shankill Road edition of the Mirror you were reading by mistake.