Ireland to build 'giant' wind turbines to power UK homes

Started by God14, January 24, 2013, 10:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Where we live there is a ton of turbines about the place, neighbors fight with neighbors about the noise from these things, that and they claim to be getting sick from them and that they are unsightly, some are built close to their neighbors home/land and it is a very divisive issue.

The farmers that embrace the turbines get paid very well for these things to be placed on their land, a lot of farmers will not let them near the place and it is almost weekly that you hear of farmers going at it over the safety/noise etc  of these things.

To me if they want to build them, fine, let them build them offshore.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 24, 2013, 02:17:08 PM
Quote from: God14 on January 24, 2013, 01:01:48 PM
What about the long term damage to our environment lads? These things are 180meters tall, and for the project to work there will be loads of them!!
Yes - a small number of people will earn a living wage out of the proposal, but what impact will these windmills have on the people who live in the area?

Exporting beef & butter doesnt damage the environment lads so its not fair to make such a comparison

How would you like to live in an area where they are been erected? These things would dwarf those erected in Co. Derry, and they are bloody awful looking and have certainly devalued the area

Wind turbines don't cause environmental damage - the only perceived negative impact they have is visual; they do produce some noise impacts locally too I suppose.  Planning tends to remove that impact through siting appropriately. 

Production of beef and butter for export, through agriculture, on the other hand has several significant impacts on our environment - recognised by the legislation in place for nearly 20 years regulating their operation and management.  I would imagine that the export of green electricity would have much less impact on our environment than agricultural exports. 

That said, much of our electricity is currently imported from Britain via the interconnector - I understand that much of it comes from nuclear power.  I'm presuming that most of this new green power will be exported also via the interconnector, no?  I personally think it's a very good day for Ireland's economy.
But you don't list any benefits. Where is the information about the benefits to Ireland's economy?  Where are the details of the proposal that leads one to have a reasonable opinion, not an assumption.
AFICS, there is an agreement to examine a proposal to allow non-Irish companies to erect hundreds of huge turbines on Irish land, spread out over 5 counties, the turbines and the power generated are owned by the non-Irish companies, the power generated is for export to England
AFAICS, Ireland gets the permanent pain that the English don't want, but England gets all the benefit.

ziggysego

I'm told the Chinese are very interesting in Ireland and the green energy potential here.
Testing Accessibility

NAG1

Should 'we' on the Island of Ireland with the help of these multi national companies not start with providing cheaper electricity from these turbines, to Ireland first and then sell off the surplus on the energy markets hence making taxable profits too. Or is that too much of a communist idea. Long term cheap clean electricity combined with short boost for the economy in construction phase, best of both worlds, no?

J70

Difficult one this. It would be great if Ireland could export electricity, especially green energy. On the other hand, these things look awful and you're talking about sensitive habitats such as bogs (and Ireland's remaining pristine bogs are internationally important) and impacts on birds and the impact of noise on people and wildlife.

But there is no means of power generation that has no impact at all (solar?). Nuclear is the way to go, IMO, especially in a geologically stable area like Ireland.

Hereiam

I would think it would be more the case of the brits sayin to Enda..... you owe us money which you will never be able to pay back so we are going to exploit you. Ok rite good.

rrhf

I think it must be a very good deal for Britain - now has this deal been done... hmmmm!  Time to see if there are similarities between Enda and Bertie. 

Main Street

Possibly much will be made of a proposed tax, paid here on all income earned from exporting the energy, like a VAT on total sales.
Then when it's all set up, we find the tax will only be on profits and they wouldn't have to pay that tax until their profits had paid for the set-up costs. 
That's called, being well and truly 'Trumped'.

nifan

whats the story with electricity through the interconnector? - i was under the impression that quite a lot of power comes uk->ireland currently, so ireland is a net consumer on it.

armaghniac

QuotePossibly much will be made of a proposed tax, paid here on all income earned from exporting the energy, like a VAT on total sales.

How can you have a tax on this project and not on other wind projects or generators?
I'd say it would generate feck all tax.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: ziggysego on January 24, 2013, 03:42:38 PM
I'm told the Chinese are very interesting in Ireland and the green energy potential here.

Cool, we should sell them some of our wind. At a good price though.
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on January 24, 2013, 06:54:54 PM
QuotePossibly much will be made of a proposed tax, paid here on all income earned from exporting the energy, like a VAT on total sales.

How can you have a tax on this project and not on other wind projects or generators?
I'd say it would generate feck all tax.
As I said, it would generate little or no company tax income.

And are you saying Wind Farm companies are not liable for corporation tax?

rrhf

Quote from: Main Street on January 24, 2013, 05:34:41 PM
Possibly much will be made of a proposed tax, paid here on all income earned from exporting the energy, like a VAT on total sales.
Then when it's all set up, we find the tax will only be on profits and they wouldn't have to pay that tax until their profits had paid for the set-up costs. 
That's called, being well and truly 'Trumped'.
and dont forget that company may make its taxable profits "offshore"
Possible result. Those who own the land get rich, those who facilitate the scheme get rich and those who own the company get rich.  And another little bit of Ireland gets sent over the water.  "The country is that bad even the wind is emigrating"

seafoid

England is one of the most densely populated countries in the world. It is going to have real problems moving to low or no carbon.

Main Street

Quote from: nifan on January 24, 2013, 06:25:02 PM
whats the story with electricity through the interconnector? -
It's newly built, it's high capacity and electricity runs both ways.
Co-financed by the EU.
Runs from Dublin to near Liverpool

Quotei was under the impression that quite a lot of power comes uk->ireland currently, so ireland is a net consumer on it.
AFAIR,  one year, Ireland imported 10% of its electricity from Britain.