The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Every one of the midfielders was muck in the first half, but I thought Allen was the one putting the most effort in and trying to make things happen. A number of times in the first half he made good runs forward into the box too but was not found. His passing though was shocking and very annoying. But Lucas seemingly not even trying to get on the ball annoyed me as much and I was glad he was the one who got the hook at HT.

Sterling has been played far too much. Though perhaps Rodgers had little option given the squad situation. With Borini and Sturridge now available, he'll be able to rotate now.

Bingo

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 14, 2013, 10:12:09 AM
Good summary Bingo. Gerrard has a propensity to to that recently. I've noticed it a few times over the past couple of years now. Maybe his legs are going a bit, but I think it's the discipline of being a midfielder. He cannot switch off and let runners go off him. He's still a good player going forward, but I've always mentally classed him as an 'attacking midfielder' rather than a pure controller of the game.

I'm also a bit worried about Sterling. I know he's only a young lad and the rest, but I hope he wasn't just playing for a big pay day. If he was, it will be a waste. He needs to be hungry.

I like Wisdom, and he'll make a centre half some day. Also thought Sturridge and Suarez looked like they have potential as a partnership. As long as Sturridge improves in his clinical finishing that has a real chance of working.

I actually am one of the few that like Joe Allen, but I think he's out of position. You never see him driving forward, and that's what he did at Swansea. Has he actually scored for Liverpool yet? I think Gerrard's role inhibits Allen.

I think Lucas, Gerard and Allen where all playing too close to each other, so it was harder to move out into the United half. This also means that responsibility for covering runs is unclear and they can switch off and expect/think that the other is going to cover that area.

I just thinki Sterling needs rest and time to develop his game. United worked very hard to cover the wing positions yesterday and time the ball went wide, he and downing where normally double marked. Never once did I think he had the confidence to go past his man yesterday. Whatever about physically, and its bound to be having an impact, mentally he must be drained. He seems a level headed player but the games he has played, pressure on him and even his contract is bound to have an impact on him. A run of 3/4 games on the bench do him no harm and he'll comeback stronger.

I think Allen is caught between positions and confidence is down. He was better in second half. Its like him and Lucas need to be split between games and not play together.

NAG1

Wouldnt be too sore on young Sterling just yet, think he has been found out a little bit and needs to freshen himself and his game up a wee bit, he ran in to Raphael is good form yesterday.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: NAG1 on January 14, 2013, 11:10:08 AM
Wouldnt be too sore on young Sterling just yet, think he has been found out a little bit and needs to freshen himself and his game up a wee bit, he ran in to Raphael is good form yesterday.
Is Raphael not a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle?

NAG1

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on January 14, 2013, 11:25:40 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on January 14, 2013, 11:10:08 AM
Is Raphael not a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle?

well one of the twins then  ;) that better

Tony Baloney

Poll: Is there any future for Downing at Anfield?

28 years old with a Premier League 2012/13 record of 13 Games, 1 Goal, 1 Assist, 17 Shots.

Oh, not forgetting that he cost ~£20 million.

nifan

At this stage what we paid for him is academic - its gone needs to be got over.

What we would get in for him is the issue, and is he worth more to us than that value.
At this stage Id be looking to know who we would be getting in if we let him go before id be making a decision.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nifan on January 14, 2013, 01:22:47 PM

What we would get in for him is the issue, and is he worth more to us than that value.
At this stage Id be looking to know who we would be getting in if we let him go before id be making a decision.
There is a fine line between giving someone time to earn their keep and getting so far gone that any resale value is totally eroded. I dont think you'd get tuppence for him now but he still earns a handsome salary for little return. If he was a farm animal he would be put down.

blewuporstuffed

realistically what would you get for him? 7-8 million if even??
his wages would be the biggest stubbling block to getting rid of him though
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

NAG1

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 14, 2013, 02:25:53 PM

Honestly dont think 7-8m is realistic for him, id say he is in the bracket of 2.5 - 3m. He has had a few poor seasons now.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: NAG1 on January 14, 2013, 02:28:50 PM

Honestly dont think 7-8m is realistic for him, id say he is in the bracket of 2.5 - 3m. He has had a few poor seasons now.
if thats the case then you are back to nifans point 'is he worth more to liverpool than that value' and as poor as he has been, he is proably still worth keeping if all you are going to get is 2.5 -3 million
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Bingo

Quote from: NAG1 on January 14, 2013, 02:28:50 PM

I'd say you'd get more than 3m for him on an even playing field but his wages, as stated, are the big issue. A club might pay say 6m for him but they'll never match his wages, he'd be looking at big pay cut for a club like say Stoke, Fulham, Newcastle, Sunderland to buy him. On a good day and them under pressure they might pay 6/7m and good wages but its not likely. Its likely they'd pay him 45k or so a week as a big earner for them, to compensate this alot of fee will go to him to cover his wages from us and we get a few million and the wages off the books.

What one of the big issues though is that we have no proper head in the club to wheel and deal on these transfers etc. Ian Ayre is limited in this regard and for players going out and coming in, we seem very lightweight in having a hardnosed, experienced person to get the club a good deal on it.

EC Unique

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 14, 2013, 02:22:43 PM
Quote from: nifan on January 14, 2013, 01:22:47 PM

There is a fine line between giving someone time to earn their keep and getting so far gone that any resale value is totally eroded. I dont think you'd get tuppence for him now but he still earns a handsome salary for little return. If he was a farm animal he would be put down.

;D ;D  I LOL'd at that.

heganboy

reports that Liverpool are trying to tempt Sneijder to Anfield.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

nifan

Quote from: heganboy on January 14, 2013, 03:52:36 PM
reports that Liverpool are trying to tempt Sneijder to Anfield.

Inter where open to 8m from gala - its wages that the issue would be