Started by DownFanatic, September 19, 2023, 12:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Quote from: intheknowhow on November 25, 2023, 04:30:13 PM
Quote from: Westside on November 25, 2023, 04:23:38 PM
Quote from: intheknowhow on November 25, 2023, 04:18:56 PM
Quote from: Westside on November 25, 2023, 04:17:17 PM
Quote from: intheknowhow on November 25, 2023, 04:12:18 PM
Quote from: ranch on November 25, 2023, 04:04:15 PMI really don't get the issue here with Arva. They're in the junior championship because they weren't good enough to win it previously. League and championship aren't linked in some counties and that's fair enough as far I'm concerned.
I'd more so have an issue with Blackhill being a yo-yo club every few years, Glenullin remaining at intermediate level for two years running, or a club like Cullyhanna being relegated to intermediate via their league position, ignoring the fact they'd played 90% of the league without their county representatives. This then gave them a pretty straightforward intermediate title in Armagh and a crack at Ulster, despite being a senior club at full strength. A system like Cavan's would eradicate these problems and ensure teams that win championships move up accordingly, and those that have county representation aren't relegated to a lower tier championship via league position undeservedly.

So league shouldn't matter? Ok, let Dublin play tailteann cup.. Kilkenny play Christy ring

Dublin are the All Ireland Champions. Kilkenny were in the All Ireland Final. What are you talking about?

They play Div 1. Monaghan and Tipperary then...

Monaghan are Div 1 and were in an AI Semi Final, keep searching.

It is the same principal. Div 1 team.

But the only way of getting relegated from Sam Maguire is via league position. What point are you trying to make??

Dreadnought

Quote from: intheknowhow on November 25, 2023, 03:14:26 PMDo Cavan people realise that the majority of counties operate their championships and leagues combined? You can lose a senior champ final in Monaghan and still be relegated.
Yes, we do realise. But as we don't do it here, League is essentially easy going. The simple fact is they're not linked, so teams don't go all out for League as they know it's Championship you go up or down in.

Do others realise they're not linked in Cavan and Arva are where they are based on Championship results? It's that simple here. Seriously, how hard is it to understand that on Championship results, Arva are where they are on merit. They were poor enough in Championship to get relegated in 2021, and to lose a Junior final last year. Comprende?

Dreadnought

Quote from: ranch on November 25, 2023, 04:04:15 PMI really don't get the issue here with Arva. They're in the junior championship because they weren't good enough to win it previously. League and championship aren't linked in some counties and that's fair enough as far I'm concerned.
I'd more so have an issue with Blackhill being a yo-yo club every few years, Glenullin remaining at intermediate level for two years running, or a club like Cullyhanna being relegated to intermediate via their league position, ignoring the fact they'd played 90% of the league without their county representatives. This then gave them a pretty straightforward intermediate title in Armagh and a crack at Ulster, despite being a senior club at full strength. A system like Cavan's would eradicate these problems and ensure teams that win championships move up accordingly, and those that have county representation aren't relegated to a lower tier championship via league position undeservedly.

So league shouldn't matter? Ok, let Dublin play tailteann cup.. Kilkenny play Christy ring

Dublin are the All Ireland Champions. Kilkenny were in the All Ireland Final. What are you talking about?

But not linked here, are you unable to understand that?

intheknowhow

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 25, 2023, 04:34:40 PM

Yes I understand. The point is that it's unfair

mrdeeds

Ballyhaise 1 14
Glenuillin 1 13

SouthOfThe Bann

Quote from: mrdeeds on November 25, 2023, 04:40:54 PMBallyhaise 1 14
Glenuillin 1 13

Great result for Ballyhaise. I know they were up against it playing a Senior Team, which makes the achievement all the more remarkable.

Westside

Quote from: intheknowhow on November 25, 2023, 04:36:50 PM

So you'd be happy enough if we sent Denn who won the Ulster Junior 2 years ago, were in an intermedia final this year and were Div 3 this year?

Itchy

Well done our 2 Cavan representative teams today. Delighted to see Arva win and what a fight back from Ballyhaise.

Cue the whinging on Arva but they won't care lads

Itchy

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 25, 2023, 04:32:56 PM
Quote from: intheknowhow on November 25, 2023, 03:14:26 PMDo Cavan people realise that the majority of counties operate their championships and leagues combined? You can lose a senior champ final in Monaghan and still be relegated.
Yes, we do realise. But as we don't do it here, League is essentially easy going. The simple fact is they're not linked, so teams don't go all out for League as they know it's Championship you go up or down in.

Do others realise they're not linked in Cavan and Arva are where they are based on Championship results? It's that simple here. Seriously, how hard is it to understand that on Championship results, Arva are where they are on merit. They were poor enough in Championship to get relegated in 2021, and to lose a Junior final last year. Comprende?

I would doubt that, I'd say majority of counties have league and championship seperate

Dreadnought

How so?

intheknowhow

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 25, 2023, 05:07:30 PM

How so?

A team play if div 1 players better teams, better standard, better preparation. It improves them overall. That's why the structure in hurling is there. You play teams your level, to improve.

Same as Juvenile grades, you're seeded on your ability. Not on because of a out dated league and champ separation system.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Itchy on November 25, 2023, 05:00:34 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on November 25, 2023, 04:32:56 PM

I would doubt that, I'd say majority of counties have league and championship seperate

Yeah most counties nationally it's seperate.

Westside

Quote from: intheknowhow on November 25, 2023, 05:22:35 PM

How so?

A team play if div 1 players better teams, better standard, better preparation. It improves them overall. That's why the structure in hurling is there. You play teams your level, to improve.

Same as Juvenile grades, you're seeded on your ability. Not on because of a out dated league and champ separation system.

The predictor of championship ability in Cavan is championship results.

If you want to make it league too, we'd be sending Denn (won Ulster Junior 2 years ago and good enough to get to intermediate final this year) which I presume you'd also feel was unfair.

Also don't see how you can call it "outdated" particularly when teams now don't have county players for the majority of the league, if anything separating them is a more modern school of thought.

Wildweasel74

How stupid are people, that they don't realise Derry are formatting from a 16 league to 12, hence why teams aren't going up. If Derry relegated a straight 4 teams down last year to form a 12 team League,this year's team would be considerable ahead of Glenullin. Next years Team Ballinderry, would be well ahead of this Glenullin, team. A Derry Division 1 team would walk a Ulster Junior Championship just Like Avra are doing.

Dreadnought

Quote from: intheknowhow on November 25, 2023, 05:22:35 PM

How so?

And they lost most of their games, finished bottom, and won with an ambush in a relegation playoff. They're simply not Senior standard

And I get you, but like I said before, League is not a big deal here. Clubs don't take it seriously as there is no jeopardy in it for Championship ranking. I'd agree with you if there was here, but there's not. There's no county players until any playoffs. There's been a raging debate here for years now that the League has few devalued because of this. So if your counties League has value, and you need to take it seriously, then great, fair play. That's not the case here and it's not taken seriously. Sure 2022 Senior finalists Killygarry with at least 7 county men got relegated this year. Also ran eventual champions Gowna to a replay. Do we relegate them to Intermediate next season? Come off it. You'll just have to accept League isn't the deal here, and if a team from Cavan is on their Championship, they deserve their placing on Championship results.