Longford v Kerry - National League QF 1984

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 20, 2018, 04:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: whitey on March 22, 2018, 01:18:39 AM
The League was a big deal back in those days. The Championship was knock out, so if your team made an exit in May or June that was it for the summer.  I think half the games were played before christmas and the other half after the New Year. The top two teams from each division went into the quarter finals. Games didnt get very big crowds like they do now so they were often played at smaller venues. I remember Mayo games being played in Charlestown and Ballina in addition to McHale Park.  I even remember a game being played in Ballinrobe but my memory may be playing tricks with that one

It certainly was a big deal Whitey. 3 games before Christmas and 4 after. Top 4 in Div 1, Top 2 in Div 2 and 1 each from Div 3 and 4 went into QFinals. Back in the 60s there was the home final and then the winners of that played new York. In 1985 I think there was a reshuffle and Longford ended up in Div 1 for some reason! Kinda like the fcukers that got driver's licenses in the late 70s for free without sitting a test. Anyhoo we managed to beat Dublin in Croke Park and then Galway. Two big names. However wheels came off soon after. But to beat the Dubs in Croke Park was something special to be at. Yes............. Championship was usually a on night stand back then whereas the League was a steamy love affair!

HA!

seafoid

That Longford match was over 30 years ago and in the meantime Longford have won nothing. That is the problem with the current system. It is geared to the successful larger counties and the Super 8 will reinforce this.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0320/948846-philip-jordan-carlow/

Carlow got out of d4 after 33 years and it meant so much to them. A tiered All Ireland wouldn't rule out a county with a once in a generation team winning something significant and maybe getting an all star. In any year there will be counties going places and counties settling down to an appropriate level of disorder and chaos.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dinny Breen

Quote from: seafoid on March 22, 2018, 09:37:06 AM
That Longford match was over 30 years ago and in the meantime Longford have won nothing. That is the problem with the current system. It is geared to the successful larger counties and the Super 8 will reinforce this.

Carlow got out of d4 after 33 years and it meant so much to them. A tiered All Ireland wouldn't rule out a county with a once in a generation team winning something significant and maybe getting an all star. In any year there will be counties going places and counties settling down to an appropriate level of disorder and chaos.

My Grandfather Dinny Breen won a Junior All-Ireland with Westmeath in 1929 and that team were feted for decades afterwards, it was his proudest achievement, he also played Railway Cup for Leinster when that meant something too. However modern society will dictate that a layered competition will not get the media exposure, will be demeaned by many on social media and will eventually die a horrible death ala the Tommy Murphy and the Christy Ring is going the same way even though it brought great energy initially but now gets wrapped before May, May ffs.

Dinny was a guard and to keep the Longford connection on the thread played for Ardagh back in early 30s.
#newbridgeornowhere

Shamrock Shore

QuoteDinny was a guard and to keep the Longford connection on the thread played for Ardagh back in early 30s.

If this is the case then there is no doubt my grandfather probably had a cut out of your grandfather (or vice versa) cos when Ardagh played Mostrim back in the olden days it would usually end up in at least three all-out rows. Neighbouring parishes were like that before civilisation came with Rural Electrification.

Dinny Breen

No doubt, but he was a big man, 6'3 played in midfield, I wouldn't have wanted a scelp off him.
#newbridgeornowhere

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 22, 2018, 09:50:41 AM
Quote from: seafoid on March 22, 2018, 09:37:06 AM

My Grandfather Dinny Breen won a Junior All-Ireland with Westmeath in 1929 and that team were feted for decades afterwards, it was his proudest achievement, he also played Railway Cup for Leinster when that meant something too. However modern society will dictate that a layered competition will not get the media exposure, will be demeaned by many on social media and will eventually die a horrible death ala the Tommy Murphy and the Christy Ring is going the same way even though it brought great energy initially but now gets wrapped before May, May ffs.

Dinny was a guard and to keep the Longford connection on the thread played for Ardagh back in early 30s.

Played into June this year i believe. Without looking it up i bet few would be able to name the 8 teams taking part in this years Christy ring cup and i wonder how many know it has now become 3rd tier competition?

Kurtz

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 20, 2018, 06:01:58 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on March 20, 2018, 05:56:01 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 20, 2018, 04:56:30 PM
I came across this over the weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPVhpCjTJ_k&feature=youtu.be

I remember it well in a sense. Longford hosting the mighty Kerry (Kerry waived home advantage). At this time the League had QFs. Top 4 in Div 1, Top 2 in Div 2 and winners of Div 3 and Div 4 (or it could have been Div 3 North and Div 3 South)

But isn't memory terrible. There was I, thinking in my memory (having not seen it since 1984), that it was marvellous fare.

But, fcuk me, it's dreadful now that I see it again. It's a lump-a-thon on a dreadful pitch in a dreadful dank park with dreadful miserable looking people. We took an early 1-04 to 0-00 lead but Kerry reeled us in. Paidi was playing but, by all accounts, he was still hungover from going on the tear the night before.

Ireland in the 80s.  :-[
At least there was a decent stand in Longford then. ;)

LOL.

TBH I'd say stand in 1984 was falling down too but nobody passed a bit a heed back then
When your drive took twice as long to get to these places, the stand was the least of your worries
People are soft today compared
I think the term snowflake is apt