At what age should underage football/hurling be competitive

Started by blast05, July 18, 2017, 03:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kickham csc

Quote from: Itchy on October 03, 2018, 12:16:06 PM
Quote from: Sweeper 123 on October 02, 2018, 05:48:05 PM
For me the Question is when do you play younger players from a different age group , who is getting plenty of game time, over someone of the correct age , who is just not as good as them? Just so you can win

Answer = never at underage

If you do you are incredibly short sighted.

In the English Soccer academies, they allow for older players to play down and younger players to play up. All based on development needs for the kids. For e.g. my sons team have a 5'8'' U12 playing U14, and  have smaller U14's playing down.

Would never work in GAA land, but with the right intent, it works well

Farrandeelin

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but at a school blitz yesterday, one of the teachers of another school had around 9 subs. Now they have small numbers but this is mini sevens we're talking about, and big and small enter. Some big schools have 2 teams. Should he have put on the subs or should he have left some of them back at school seeing as none of them got gametime? If it were me, I'd pick 3 subs and give all a run. Instead of leaving the nine on the ground doing nothing.

Edited to say he was up and down the line roaring and shouting 'instructions' all the time.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Itchy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 11, 2018, 08:40:00 AM
I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but at a school blitz yesterday, one of the teachers of another school had around 9 subs. Now they have small numbers but this is mini sevens we're talking about, and big and small enter. Some big schools have 2 teams. Should he have put on the subs or should he have left some of them back at school seeing as none of them got gametime? If it were me, I'd pick 3 subs and give all a run. Instead of leaving the nine on the ground doing nothing.

Edited to say he was up and down the line roaring and shouting 'instructions' all the time.

As bad as some clowns are in clubs, teachers in schools are worse. I've seen some insane stuff driven by absolute win at all costs

snoopdog

Does anyone think the kids start far too early nowadays. How many cant be arsed with it by the time they are 12. Every sat a game in either football or hurling with training for both 1 night a week each at 7 years of age is madness in my opinion. Football and hurling when i was a kid started at u12 and summer was for hurling . Football was run through feb to april/may.

BenDover

Quote from: farset on October 11, 2018, 08:59:59 AM
So in South Antrim there is a whole fixture list set up so that all club from u10 down get games instead of having to ring around all the time to arrange your own. It works great. The scores aren't kept and go games rules are applied.

However there are many many tournaments organised too by different clubs both inside and outside of the county. Generally you are only permitted to bring 12 players and are therefore left with a predicament. Do you rotate and give everyone a go? Or do you bring your strongest 12 to those tournaments. Most other clubs are bringing their strongest so I think that's what you do. Don't think there's anything wrong with teaching kids the nature of championships/tournaments. So long as throughout the year all of your kids are getting a fair crack on a weekly basis I think it's OK to bring your stronger kids to tournaments.

Similar setup in Armagh and I know our club rotate the squads every weekend to give every child a chance to play. There's a lot to be said for going to a blitz were there's no silverware on offer and to a tournament with a cup were expectations from parents/players/coaches seem to go through the roof. However I do like the tournament for, mat were a club has to bring 2 teams and the result is based on the aggregate score from both teams. I've witnessed the antics of some coaches @ U10 this year and tbh it's shocking; bringing squads to 10 a side tournaments and not giving the subs a fair go, encroaching on the pitch to shout instructions, abuse referees... madness. Just Let Them Play

befair

Kids develop at different stages; the tiny lad at 10 might be formidable by 18, but  if he isn't getting a run won't stick with it. Time enough to be competitive by U-14.